Biker-Pro weird problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new Biker-Pro. Very intermittent with several problems which I think MIGHT be related.

I am using firmware version BP2015101301.

1. Last video file recorded is often corrupted and cannot be read on any movie player. All other files play fine. Sometimes, even last file is okay. Seems to be fine if I first charge the module battery with the unit OFF for several hours.

2. Unit sometimes crashes, both blue lights stay on continuously (no flashing) with or without external power, and cannot be shut off with the power button. Then I discovered pressing BOTH power and wireless buttons at the same time will shut the unit off (or else it stays on until the battery is drained).

3. Wireless works for a while, but it seems to time- out in a minute or so, is this normal? This is with supplied external power.

4, (this might even be the problem with the above three) The internal battery doesn't seem to charge when the unit is on, being used normally, with external +13.8 DC voltage. The red charging indicator on the module stays off when the unit has external DC voltage. But the charging indicator is on when the unit is turned off and requires a long charge even after unit is on with external power for hours. It seems to need to have the battery charged after it is on and being used normally, after a several hour ride.

My guess is after a long ride the module battery is too dead to write the last date file and it gets corrupted.

I now have the unit here in the house ran off a 13.5 volt DC power supply and I am able to duplicate every problem I had while it was installed on my bike, as listed above.

I am using a 64 GB micro SD card, class 10, but I had the same problems when I used smaller cards.

-Don- Reno, NV

Which video cable do you have? The old or new one? New one fixes all kinds of problems. I can send you the updated one no problem if needed

WDTZR4G.png

1) Are you using the hard wire kit for constant miniUSB power?
Last file corrupted sometimes means the internal battery has not been charged enough. (and can also be the cable issue)

2) This is most likely the old cable problem. (bad solder joints) New cable is from a different factory, much imporved

3) WiFi might time out if it's not in use. You have the latest firmware, but what about the latest app? Can you reproduce the problem using another device? Some older android phones have issues.

4) This can happen if you're using a built in Bike/PC USB port (only 500Mah) rather than the included hard wire USB power kit. (higher 1A output needed, and this gives it)

Please confirm the above, looks like you said you use the supplied external power, but is this all the time, every time?

Did you format the 64GB card in the camera or PC?

The good news is I'm in Dayton if we need to do anything in person it's no problem. (I see you're in Reno)
~Jon

Last edited:
I have the "new factory" cable.

I tried both type of formats, the camera as well as PC and still had the same problem. The wi-fi problem was most likely just time-out, so no real issue there, but I wish that could be set for time to time-out. I wasn't using it when it timed out each of several times.

Yes, I am using the supplied five volt supply and it does put out five volts. I checked that, but not under load. But read on! I decided to check more before posting this message.

At the 12 volt input (really using 13.8 volts) the camera running (recording) draws 155 ma.

Battery charging (camera off) it draws 99 ma at 13.8 volts. That was with the included 12 to five volt supply.

FWIW, I have been in electronics all my life, so you may be as technical as you like.

I just now did some more testing and it seems I discovered the problem in the process!!!

I have wondered if the low current mine is drawing above, is a good indication of a problem, but that is at the 12 volt input, not five.

So I just tried another five volt supply:

At 5 volts, running normally, the camera draws 560 ma ) (.56 amp) / battery charging only, 220 ma but this was checked form a different source that the supplied 12 volt to five volt converter. And I think I just discovered the problem!!!

During the above test, I used a one amp five volt supply, but 120 VAC to five volts. And guess what? The module charging indicator stayed on while the unit was in use. The first time I have seen that! I now assume the charging indicator should be on at all times, even when the camera is in use. Is that correct? That it never did before!

So it is now obvious what is happening. The supplied five volt supply is putting out it's five volts, but drops under the load of 560 MA (but not so much at 220 ma). That explains everything!! So the internal battery was discharging, instead of charging, while in use.

I will see if I can find another 12 to five volt supply around here that is rated for above an amp. If not, can I get another 12 to five volt converter from you? But these should be fairly common, I will just have to mount it differently than the stock one.

BTW, when you fist said "Dayton" I was thinking Ohio, even though I am often near Dayon, NV quite often. The free shooting range in Carson City for one example.

BTW, do you ride a bike too? I had this camera mounted on my 2013 Triumph Trophy. I have several other cycles too.

Now, I will look through my junk boxes and see what I can find. I will get back to you here, either way

-Don- DonTom3@aol.com

Very good sounds like things are on the right track now. Yes you need a solid 1A of power using the included 12V to 5V USB source.

Many of the generic USB ports only output 500mAh. While it might be enough to appear to power the camera, in the background the battery won't stay charged and it will result in the above.
(and the CPU will be under stress, plus WiFi issues)

It's best to use the included power supply unless you're 100% sure the 3rd party option has a good high output current you need. (not 500mAh, needs to be > or = to 1A)

I don't think I fully understood what you're testing exactly when it comes to powering your system and what exactly is faulty and or underpowered. Do you need a new BulletHD USB power supply? (I can send one no problem) We haven't had any go out, or become underpowered but anything is possible when it comes to electronics from time to time.

I don't ride, I fly, but my friend Nick does. He has the older 1983 Honda Interstate Goldwing from this thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...3-interstate-honda-goldwing-motorcycle.13403/

Yes we are located in Dayton Nevada. My business partner and I fly/share a small plane out of Carson and our future new expanded office will be near there as well..
(to me, Flying is safer than Motorcycles even in these mountains) :)

Nick rides, and is also a Pilot. He was the one that recently connected us with the the GoldWing Docs forum owner that ending up posting a wonderful Biker Pro review:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30103

Let me know if you have any more questions or problems.
~Jon

P.S. I have many years of electronics background as well, did my time in the Air Force.
(EWS/Sensors on the U2)

Last edited:
Ok, I did some more checking. It now works great!

The INCLUDED BulletHD Biker-Pro power supply was the problem. Both 5 volt output ports of the included supply have the same problem of dropping the voltage under the normal load of the camera module.

I am now using another 12 to 5 volt voltage converter that I found in one of my many junk boxes. . It's only rated at 700 ma but works perfectly. Charging light goes out only when the wireless is on. Is that normal? If not, it's just that I need a better than 700 ma. But it charges fine when recording without the wireless as is. If I look around more, I think I can find a better one rated at 2.1 amps. I know I have such around here somewhere.

I let the camera self stop (by pulling off the 12 volts) a few times, and all the files are now fine.

At 13.8 volts, now using my supply that did NOT come with the camera, it draws 190 ma at 13.8 volts and charges the internal battery. 207 ma when wireless is on. I didn't recheck the 5 volt current as it's now working fine and that is somewhat of a hassle for me to check.

The only issues is that the supply I am now using that works well, is too large and is NOT waterproof.

BTW, one problem that I had before, that I forgot to mention, is that sometimes the module would crash and beep three times every few seconds. What does that mean? But so far, no problems at all after I changed the supply. Perhaps that repeating 3 beeps means low voltage? I didn't see it mentioned in the manual.

I just now thought of another place to look for another 12 to 5 volt supply . . . .

I just now found a 2.1 amp 12 to five volt supply. And I now have it connected up.

Now, the charging indicator is even on with the wireless active, but just not quite as bright as with the wireless off. So now, it's charging the internal battery in every mode. So now down to two very minor issues, this supply is not waterproof either. And I cannot mount it as well as the one that was included.

So yes, I would like another stock supply. Would you like to have my bad one for trade? Since you have not seen this issue, I assume you would like to see it for yourself.

BTW, do you know the current rating of it? My defective one has to be less than 200 ma to cause this problem. It does measure five volts with no load. I assume its normal rating is higher than one amp. I assume it said so, but the label came off when I removed the unit which was Velcroed on. It's stuck to the Velcro tape and I cannot read it. BTW, when I received the unit, the label was on backwards! I am now wondering if that was a factory thing for defective units and I just got one by accident!

I can come to Dayton if that's easier. I can bring my entire camera set up, in case you want to see the issue for yourself. I am retired and have plenty of time on just about any day.

It's really nice to see the thing now work so perfectly! It was getting me frustrated for a while. Strange how I figured it out during a post right here!

-Don- Reno, NV

Ok, a new BulletHD 12V to 5V Power Converter Kit (Dual USB) is on the way. It's really best to use the official power supply to make sure you're getting proper power. Anything less won't be reliable and can cause problems as you've seen. Stressing the CPU is the bigger problem. I shipped it to your same address as your Amazon order. I'll follow up with a tracking number via email shortly.
(no need to return the old one at this time, I'll ask the factory if they want to inspect it)

As an extra bonus, I'm also including a free Street Guardian OTG USB combo card reader
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-android-smartphone-tablet-and-pc-mac.12819/

Welcome back to the club!

the problems you've been having would easily happen with a bad power supply
Yeah, I expected a battery charge problem, as I mentioned in my very first message. Later, I proved it. I guess getting in this thread motivated me a bit more to figure out the problem. I have been employed as a electronics & radio communications tech all my life until I retired.

-Don- Reno, NV

Ok, a new BulletHD 12V to 5V Power Converter Kit (Dual USB) is on the way.
Thanks! That's a good address and where I now am.
It's really best to use the official power supply to make sure you're getting proper power. Anything less won't be reliable and can cause problems as you've seen. Stressing the CPU is the bigger problem. I shipped it to your same address as your Amazon order. I'll follow up with a tracking number via email shortly.(no need to return the old one at this time, I'll ask the factory if they want to inspect it)
The official power supply was the only one to give me the serious problems! But there's no doubt I somehow got a bad one.

I have had the unit on all this time, wireless and all, and all is now working fine with my 2.1 amp (2,100ma) supply. If it were waterproof and if I had a good way to mount it (this one is round, not flat) I would just use continue to use it. There's no doubt it supplies the proper power (5 volts and good for up to 2100 ma). It not being waterproof and no decent way to mount are the only issues with what I have set up temporarily for now.

Thanks again!

-Don- Reno, NV

Thanks for the fast service!!! I received your 12 to 5.0 volt supply Friday and now the internal battery is staying well charged in all modes.

However, there seems to be a problem with the camera even when the battery is well charged.

If I leave the camera on normally recording for less than ten minutes or so, all works perfectly when I disconnect the 13.8 volt input. It then beeps twice, then a few seconds later, the six beeps and it shuts off normally. All okay when on less than ten or so minutes.

However, if I leave camera recording for an hour or more, and then remove the 13.8 volts, it beeps twice, NO six beeps ever come, the two red lights stay on forever, unless I manually press the off button on the module.

And it is NOT intermittent. It shuts down normally every time when on for less than ten minutes and fails to shut off every time if ran for more than an hour. I have tried both several times since I received the 5 volt supply today. I wanted to make sure all was perfect before mounting the stuff back on the motorcycle and I then discovered this problem after it was running for a couple of hours at this room temperature (64° F.).

What's the fix for this weird problem?

Other than the above one last problem, all else seems to now work perfectly.

BTW, I did see the video about the Biker-Pro in this forum and he mentioned having problems with ScanDisk SD cards. Unfortunately, all my micro-SD cards here are ScanDsik, but I did order a Transcend 64 GB card, but it's not here yet. I have a ScanDisk 64 GB in there now. But I don't see how that can be a problem when the camera works well when on for less than ten minutes. But could it be the problem?

Hopefully, you have ran into this problem before!! Because I have no real clue on this weird problem, if not the SD card.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well, that was my biggest fear, that this problem has not yet been seen by others. Hopefully, the factory has seen this problem before.

Anyway, the Transcend micro SD card should be here any day and then I will mention here if there is a change.

BTW, the Scandisk cards have been working well unless this shut-down problem is related to it somehow.

BTW, I have a question about the "Auto power off". What is it supposed to do?

I have mine set to the 3 minute default, but it seems to not do anything. I tried disconnecting the 13 volt power, I turned the unit on, and it stays on forever. It's now been on for ten minutes on its own battery power, but set for the three minute default.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
not sure if that problem could be attributed to the memory card, unusual to say the least
Well, I looks like I just discovered the real problem, unless this somehow only affects my module, which I seriously doubt.

I think I discovered a rather serious bug in the BP2015101301 firmware. I will double and triple check, as I am doing now, but I have to wait at least an hour each time.

Anyway, here are the facts, and I suggest you make the exact same experiment.

I have the Biker-Pro with the BP2015101301 firmware installed. It fails to shut off, if left on for more than an hour. No exceptions. It fails every time, but ONLY after about an hour. One beep, and both lights stay on until the internal battery runs dead. This is NOT an intermittent problem! To me, that's a serious bug, as I often ride for more than an hour between stops.

So then, I decided to do an experiment. I deliberately installed the Biker-Mate firmwear (BM2015073002) into my Biker-Pro using the same card, formatted the same way and now it works perfectly, even if left on for several hours. It shuts off fine, each and every time. As it should, regardless of how long it is left on.

Of course, there is no wireless this way, but the camera now works as it should otherwise.

I strongly suggest you make the exact same experiment using the correct BP2015101301 firmware with a Biker-Pro. Using all defaults is fine. All you have to do is leave it on normally recording for more than an hour and then disconnect the 13.8 volt input. It will always shut off normally if less than ten minutes or so, but NEVER if left on for an hour or more.

I now strongly feel that I don't have a module problem, but I discovered a firmware bug.

Has anybody else here noted this problem?

Or is it only my BIKER-PRO module that cannot have the BP2015101301 firmware and work correctly with it? I suppose that is possible, but I would think very unlikely, since it works perfectly with the BM2015073002 firmware

Please let me know what you find. For now, I will use the BM2015073002 in my Biker-Pro unit.

I hope I can expect a firmware update fairly soon, to resolve this bug.

BTW, how new is the BP2015101301 firmware? I am surprised that I am the very first to report such a serious (IMO) bug.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your report. I'll see if we can replicate that issue and I'll send your report to the factory pronto. Standby and I'll report back.

I might have posted that a little too soon. I will let you know for sure by tomorrow, but it seems the fact that I put the BM2015073002 firmware fixed my problem even when I went back to the BP2015101301 firmware. I am not real sure if I left it on long enough for a good test, but it turned off normally last time with the 1301 firmware, but I wasn't watching the clock. Perhaps was only 50 or so minutes. It might have been less than the hour or so required for a failure to shut off. I now have the BP2015101301 back in the unit with a 64 GB card. I will leave in on overnight and see what happens around 8 hours from now. That will be a very good test.

Now my theory is that my firmware was corrupted and even though I tried several times to reinstall the BP2015101301 firmware, it ignored it, because it was already installed in the module, even though it looked like it was doing its normal thing for the first 30 seconds. IOW, it looked like it was accepting the overwrite of the same firmware, but perhaps it didn't, since it was the same firmware version.

Changing to a different firmware and back to the BP2015101301 forced it to accept what was on the card, instead of what the module was holding. I had no idea it worked that way. And still not sure. I will certainly know more later in the morning.

It just takes time for me to be sure what is happening. But I will let you know.

But I think it now might be totally fixed, with wireless and all.

Perhaps having the charging problem caused the battery to be low and that somehow corrupted the firmware from my trying to use it with a very low internal battery.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yes,

Please make the same experiment. I just turned my unit off before going to bed. I was going to restart it and tell you exactly how long I left it on. But it did fail to shut off. The one beep and both lights stayed on with the 1301 firmware.

I will go back to the BM2015073002 firmware and keep it on all night. And if it doesn't fail (and I don't think it will), I will reinstall it on the bike and forget about this problem and look for firmware updates and check here to see what you find. I will continue to use the BM2015073002 firmware in my Biker-Pro.

I now expect that you will see the same problem. It really does seem to be an issue with the 1301 firmware.

I will now reformat my 64GB SD card and put the BM2015073002 firmware back on.

-Don- Reno, NV

Factory said:

"Also, we are checking where this bug is…it also clashed with app too, I hope to have results next week."

They also mentioned some 64GB cards are not formatting properly in the camera. The suggested formatting 64gb cards in a PC via special fat32 formatter until a new firmware is made available.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4h649pik1crus7/AAAVsDBal32DLAPCFXE424lJa?dl=0

I'll do my own testing this weekend.

Check your inbox in the upper right shortly, I'm sending a private message.

Factory:
"Can you please send attached two versions to your customer for testing?"

Back