Black triangle at left of vid

Newtsche

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put an A119 in my wife's car maybe three years ago, it works as advertised.
Now a black triangle on the left side of the image has shown up. I thought it might be from the black dot matrix around the mirror, nope.
I have a polarizer attached, not that either. Visual examination of the lens shows nothing I can see.

Not a catastrophe but any ideas?

caddy schnucks s.jpg

I remounted the cam about 3/4" right, still there. I see nothing external on the lens, the lens is small so if it's internal, I can't see anything inside.

@Newtsche ok long shot- looks like the material black tape inside the unit has got between the sensor and the lens.

I did say long shot as I really can’t see why or how this could happen.

Perhaps a fragment of something in the lens body?
Try shaking the dash cam while removed from holder and see if the item in the lens moves

have you ever pulled the unit apart?

Looking forward to the answer.

I remounted the cam about 3/4" right, still there. I see nothing external on the lens, the lens is small so if it's internal, I can't see anything inside.
You need to remove it from the mount and point the lens/camera in a different direction to see if it's still there.

Or if possible just turn the lens down so it just film your dashboard, but it do look like something of your sensor housing or maybe what your mirror mount off, and the small dotted area around it is in frame.
I currently have the same problem with one of my cameras, it was not there when i installed it, but then i had the lens a bit further down, so adjusting the lens up a bit i now have a little bit of the dotted area / frit on both upper L and R corners.

dr1-jpg.53549

IMO it is not that big of a problem, as i dont expect to capture any aliens landing or planes landing on the highway in front of me.
Your problem is of course a bit more noticable so the only problem is to move your camera even more to the right than it already is, or maybe lower though thats probably a stealth killer.

Last edited:
It does appear to be the dot matrix around the mirror best I can tell. Even so, it doesn't explain the sharp triangular intrusion, no such shape around the mirror.
I did move the mount to the right with no change. Because the mounted A119 is high, the sky background makes the screen hard to see so I made a
cardboard piece to block that light out. No triangle with the board in place. I'm going to live with this problem but it's a real mystery.

I did take the A119 clamshell case apart but didn't try to get into the barrel-shaped lens housing. I did rap on the unit to dislodge anything as well as blew it out with
compressed air. Nope.

If you updated the firmware over the years, maybe the FOV was widened intentionally or unintentionally in the last firmware installed. Can't think of any other explanation if you didn't change the mounting position.

I am inclined to think that if it was something on a sensor level, it would be more in focus / more defined.

You could try and touch sides of something that are facing the camera with a piece of cardboard or paper while the camera are recording, i am fairly sure you will then see that in the footage where your triangle are.

I have also a few times mounted a new test camera beside others and having been sure its well clear of the other cameras, only to find out it wasent.
But yeah it is no biggie what you have, from what you can see, you will easy be able to tell how you are driving, and if you drive well and something jump out of the Bermuda "triangle" and crash you, then surely it is not your fault.

Lenses can fail internally,, but most often that result in a focus that come and go as the wind blow, so in those cases nothing to do but change the whole lens.
And your issue could also still be something like that, it is just not something i have seen before.

you can probably pick up a replacement lens for a few bucks.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mealto A119 24
Back