BlackSys CF-100 install thread

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
Since I figure not many people browse the entire site, or specifically the Blacksys/Cammsys forum, I thought I'd post over here to let you know about a big post I've made over in the Blacksys forum about my installation and personal take on the CF-100 dual cam + gps + parking system.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/installing-a-cf-100-in-a-2008-toyota-sienna-van.8111/

lots of photos (all clickable thumbnails so those of you on dialup or mobile aren't killed by the massive images), and the problems and nifty things i've encountered during my install, a how-to of running wires through the factory wire loom boot/tubing to mount something to the rear hatch with no visible wires and without drilling holes, and a caution about installing things around side curtain airbags.

hopefully this isn't taken as a double-post or a prohibited type of post... just trying to let people know about something that they might not otherwise see.

I wonder if anyone can help me here, I purchased the Blacksys CF 100 and installed it using a Lukas LK-290-12/24VT so I could hardwire it. Started it up, said all the right things on startup but it is not recording from the rear camera, on the Player on my laptop, the 2 Channel button is greyed out, and there is no GPS info, so the GPS and Rear Camera don't seem to be working. I updated the firmware, but no difference! I absolutely hate it when I fork out coin for something that doesn't work as promised, or maybe I am doing something wrong! Has anyone experienced this before and if so how did you fix it?

The GPS info isn't displayed in the video feed, only the letters [GPS] in the lower right corner. Also it can take several minutes to get a GPS fix the first time - mine took probably about 15 minutes or so the very first time. After that it's much quicker - typically under a minute.

Of course It's entirely possible you got a defective unit. Best to contact the seller asap.

Do you think it matters that I have the GPS unit right next to the Blacksys unit? Would that interfere with it somehow?

Well the cable for the GPS antenna is only about one foot long so you are really limited in where you can mount it. Some folks say they stuck it to the backside of the camera and had no issues. I tested it with it simply dangling just below the rearview mirror right next to the camera and it worked fine there. My final install location was about 4 inches above the camera on the top edge of the windshield. Again, no issues in that location.

I think the fact that neither the rear cam or GPS works is a strong indicator that you may have a bad unit.

When it first powers on, does it say "car DVR is getting started" or does it say "two channel recordings are getting started"?

I uploaded new firmware, the rear camera is now working, but it still is not picking up the GPS! And yes it says Two Channel are getting started, just moved the GPS so ill see how it goes!

I uploaded new firmware, the rear camera is now working, but it still is not picking up the GPS! And yes it says Two Channel are getting started, just moved the GPS so ill see how it goes!

the GPS antenna is directional also so make sure you have it the right way up

the GPS antenna is directional also so make sure you have it the right way up
that's what surprised me about this camera - even with the gps antenna dangling freely below the rearview mirror, it worked fine! in my final install, the sticky pad was of course against the glass, with the GPS text facing down and slightly towards the rear and it worked fine there, too.

this isn't a square antenna like yours, jokiin - it's sort of rectangular and has a very small board inside - barely bigger than the actual shielded tuner assy inside. i know that shouldn't matter, but in my experience, this antenna doesn't seem to be very picky.
tmp_13447-img_20141102_153135599463671-jpg.9040

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it matters that I have the GPS unit right next to the Blacksys unit? Would that interfere with it somehow?
I have the antenna mounted on the camera behind the dotted area and never had any issues with GPS signal.

Back