Blackview gets a bad review

That was a good video. Thank you!

This isn’t the first time that Blackvue has had some security / privacy issues with their cloud features. In fact this isn’t the first time Blackvue has defaulted to sharing people’s videos like this. Here’s a video from 4 years ago.

Shortly after I posted the video, Blackvue fixed it and disabled it for everyone, then made it something the user had to turn on explicitly, but perhaps they haven’t learned their lesson?

I’ve also reported other privacy issues that Blackvue has quietly fixed in the background.

As much as I like having cloud features, Blackvue doesn’t seem to be properly handling their security and privacy responsibilities.

Last edited:
This is one of the instances a `dumb` device is better than a `smart` device.
These companies need to be slammed with expensive fines. Have them reach out to each individual customer account and either offer them a compensation or a full refund and have the app pulled from the app store and face them with heavy penalties.

I'm tired that almost everything we buy today requires an account creation and some kind of a subscribe service for just the basic functionality.
Looking at you BMW with your upcoming subscribe-to-heat-your-butt and why I won't give up my 2011 3 series!

Last edited:
I will agree on that any Korean dashcam brand seem pretty much oblivious to user feedback, that is actually one of the main reasons i do not recommend Blackvue and others.

Anyone using any camera that connects to a cloud service whether from the camera or an app should understand they are giving up their privacy no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Indeed.
I am a all fan of local storage, the smart parts well i dont think i find them useful, but i am yet to try my first smart camera.
And i must admit that in many other aspects i am very fast to pass judgment.
For instance the reality TV thing, that at least here started with the Big Brother TV show, well i have never seen any of those programs, same go for various talent TV programs, even if i do admire and respect talented people in crafts or otherwise.

Great, gotta recheck mine now. I love the cloud features they offer but I hate all the social media crap so many companies want to push into everyting. It's not just this, like why is Venmo popular? Why do other people that know me need to see payments I make to friends and family? Why do I need to see who they are paying and how much?

I can't stand forced social media crap.

Indeed.
I am a all fan of local storage, the smart parts well i dont think i find them useful, but i am yet to try my first smart camera.
And i must admit that in many other aspects i am very fast to pass judgment.
For instance the reality TV thing, that at least here started with the Big Brother TV show, well i have never seen any of those programs, same go for various talent TV programs, even if i do admire and respect talented people in crafts or otherwise.
In certain situations, having the dash cam footage uploaded to the cloud is crucial. A recent thing that I was reading about a guy taking his car to get some work done, shop owner takes the car for a joy ride and crashed the car and deleted the dash cam SD card content. A remote storage would have played in his favour.

Which also bring the idea of remote lenses and the main unit hidden. It's a win/win in my opinion.
- footage is safe
- more stealth setup as only the camera lens needs to be mounted

But all setups like that are commercial bulky cameras. Nothing I found for mainstream consumers.

Yeah it might be useful some times, no doubt.
I very much doubt the shop will take my little red lightning for a joy ride.

iu

PS: i define lightning as compared to my walking speed as that is the alternative if i did not have the car.

So I checked in with Blackvue about this issue and they said that he must have misunderstood how the sharing feature works. It is opt out by default and users have to opt in to have their videos be shared. I haven't gone in to take a closer look at this myself, especially since I've already got mine set up, but yeah. If users wanna opt in, okay, but I'm glad to hear that it's opt out by default.

The issue about requiring a username/password to connect to your dashcam, that part will be changing with the upcoming update.

Just passing along the message.

...requiring a username/password to connect to your dashcam, that part will be changing with the upcoming update...
IMNSHO it never should have been a requirement at all. Just another attempt at corporate mining of personal data.

Back