Blackvue 2CH - Rear Camera Cable - Airbag concerns

dnichols

Reaction score
Country
United States
My vehicle is a 2015 Mazda Cx5. I currently have two A119 cameras (front and rear), powered by 12V adapters.

I want to upgrade to a Blackvue 2Ch system, but I have concerns about the install for the rear camera. The way I see it, I’d have to route the rear camera cable along the roof line trim, and my car has side-curtain airbags that would deploy from the same area.

I feel like, in an accident…if those airbags were to deploy, the force would whip the camera cable into the passenger sitting on that side. The vehicle also has a moon-roof, so routing the rear camera cable straight through the center of the roof liner is also not an option.

I’d prefer to route the cable along the floor, but my vehicle is an SUV, and I don’t get believe I’d have enough length to reach the rear window. Do they make extension cords for the Blackvue rear cameras?

When I try to research this, and watch install videos, I find them confusing, and somewhat disturbing. The installers push cables between trim and panels without any concerns. Sometimes they remove those panels and you can clearly see the airbag there…but the simply push the cable in and move on.

So, am I just paranoid?

Assuming I’m not, are there any options I’m not aware of?

If the side air bags go off it's likely the car is going to be a write off, I doubt having the cam cable pushed in the trim gaps would affect airbags or itself cause any injury, personally I think it is a bodge of the highest order to fit cables like this, I take trim off and secure the cable, in your case I would use decent grip tape to secure to roof underside, there must be some gap at sides of moonroof to do this

I did have the same concern about the curtain-bags, so i decided while i was going to remove the trim and rubberseals that i'd route the cable in the roof-liner instead - going right down thru the center of the vehicle from rearview mirror to the rear window in a straight line.

Takes a bit more effort, than just to push it in the gap between the seal and pillar-trim. But much more secure in terms of not messing around the airbags, much more neat, and you feel good afterwards ;-)

The only wire that goes down my A-pillar is the power for the connection to meet with the Motopark Power Safer under the kick-trim on drivers side.

And in regards to extending the cable, yes, they do make longer cables. My own was 6 metre and by routing straight thru the roof, i had about 3 meters of cable to spare which was coiled up, strapped together and hidden in the rear end of the liner, but it's possible to buy them - off amazon, ebay and more, in other lengths, i've seen 15 metre coax for Blackvue's ;)

Last edited:
I did have the same concern about the curtain-bags, so i decided while i was going to remove the trim and rubberseals that i'd route the cable in the roof-liner instead - going right down thru the center of the vehicle from rearview mirror to the rear window in a straight line.

Takes a bit more effort, than just to push it in the gap between the seal and pillar-trim. But much more secure in terms of not messing around the airbags, much more neat, and you feel good afterwards ;-)

The only wire that goes down my A-pillar is the power for the connection to meet with the Motopark Power Safer under the kick-trim on drivers side.

And in regards to extending the cable, yes, they do make longer cables. My own was 6 metre and by routing straight thru the roof, i had about 3 meters of cable to spare which was coiled up, strapped together and hidden in the rear end of the liner, but it's possible to buy them - off amazon, ebay and more, in other lengths, i've seen 15 metre coax for Blackvue's ;)

I'm glad to hear there is an extension available.
As I said in my post...I have a moon roof. So for myself, routing down the center of the roof is impossible.

Hopefully, I can find one with enough length to route along the floor.

Back