Blackvue 2CH Truck - Rear Cam Colour Problem...

EnEs63

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
image.png Hi,

Recently a friend and I purchased two Blackvue DR650s 2ch Truck dashcams.

The front cam is fine but the rear camera is giving a weird colour rendition, (see image), rather like a black and white image but showing some colours except green.
When the clouds cleared the blue sky was seen clearly but trees/bushes look silver/grey!
The rear cam has night-vision and this appears to work ok.
It is only daytime when the colours are wrong?

This issue is the same on both our sets.
We tried a different rear cam from our Blackvue car set up and that worked ok so it seems to prove the connecting cable and the front cam is not at fault.
It is the rear camera that seems to be producing the weird colours?

Have any of you seen this before or have any clues as to what is wrong?

(P.S. We have already updated to the latest software version).

Regards

If it's setup to do night recording using IR lights it would work best for that if there is no IR filter, no IR filter is good for low light but will give weird results during the day

Hello jokiin,

Ok, I think I understand...
There is no seperate 'mechanical' IR filter or any software setting to enable/disable an electronic version in the settings.
Are you saying this odd colour is 'normal' for this rear cam during daytime? That is not how Pittisoft ad's show the Blackvue Truck...

The IR lights do not operate during the daytime. They only activate once a sensor in the rear camera detects low light.

As usual, several days now and I dont get any response from Pittisoft CS!

I can't say if that's how it's meant to be but it is how they look if there's no IR filter used

not sure how it works, but i have used the regular 650 with an IR rear cam. it seemed like mine actually switched the IR lights on when it was dark enough because it seemed like sometimes the color was all fine, but if it passed under a dark enough condition like an over pass or my garage the IR was on and the color was weird.

not sure how it works, but i have used the regular 650 with an IR rear cam. it seemed like mine actually switched the IR lights on when it was dark enough because it seemed like sometimes the color was all fine, but if it passed under a dark enough condition like an over pass or my garage the IR was on and the color was weird.
Hi I just bought Blackvue 900x 2ch IR and having color issues on rear camera aswell. It shows yellow and green colors only instead of multi color. I updated software and adjusted settings as ir sensor off. I even put topdown on convertible in day time same issue exist. Either rear camera is faulty or that is the way it is. Does anyone have this camera and can comfirm if rear camera should show multi color or not?

Hi I just bought Blackvue 900x 2ch IR and having color issues on rear camera aswell. It shows yellow and green colors only instead of multi color. I updated software and adjusted settings as ir sensor off. I even put topdown on convertible in day time same issue exist. Either rear camera is faulty or that is the way it is. Does anyone have this camera and can comfirm if rear camera should show multi color or not?
what does the video look like at night?

Hi,

After looking into this in more depth back in 2016 we did get told by a BlackVue dealer in Bangkok that this colour issue was ‘normal’. They explained it as being infra-red! Not that I believe it is real info-red but it is still working today so we left it at that.

Hi,

After looking into this in more depth back in 2016 we did get told by a BlackVue dealer in Bangkok that this colour issue was ‘normal’. They explained it as being infra-red! Not that I believe it is real info-red but it is still working today so we left it at that.
Can you share a picture? During the day it should look like normal color, but at night when it switches to IR it won't be in full color as it uses the infra red light.

Unsure if you can force the camera to go into night mode and so disengage IR cut filter, in that case it would be user error and you should change to Auto day / night mode.

Most CCTV cameras have a mechanical device operated by a solenoid and a photo-diode that removes the IR-cut filter from the light path after dark so that its IR LED emitters can illuminate the scene with infra-red light. The image will switch from color to Black & White. In the morning when the sun comes up the camera automatically moves the IR-cut filter back into the light path behind the lens to cut the infra-red light and this returns the camera to full normal color. Most dash cams I've seen that have any sort of night vision designed to illuminate the interior of a car at night do not have mechanical IR filters but I don't know for certain about the Blackvue.

ALL digital cameras, whether video or still cameras, DSLRs or smartphones have the IR-cut filter.

If you get anything other than a magenta cast to the colors from your IR enabled dash cam there is some other explanation, perhaps as an incorrect menu setting or a sensor problem.

If you remove the IR-cut filter from a digital camera your image will look something like this:
IR-flowers2.jpg

If you make an image with the same camera with an IR-cut filter installed you will see normal colors in the image.
normal-flowers.jpg

The above IR image without a filter was slightly modified in the camera's color and white balance settings.
Typically, if you simply remove the IR filter and leave the white balance set for normal daylight your image will look like this:

ircut2.jpg

Edit: Please note that after looking at Blackvue's web site, it is not clear whether the camera being discussed here even has IR LED emitters. That may only exist in their Taxi dash cams for interior cabin coverage but not other cams. There is discussion about the DR-900S for example that states that their cameras use HDR along with boosting ISO gain at night for "night vision". If that is the case, then the colors should not be affected much, if at all, as they would have the required IR-cut filter. So, this whole discussion about IR-cut filters may have nothing to do with this problem.

Last edited:
The new X series IR dash cams have IR lights constantly on, so daytime footage will have colors be skewed.

The new X series IR dash cams have IR lights constantly on, so daytime footage will have colors be skewed.

Thanks for the explanation. Something about this problem doesn't seem to add up in regard to IR-cut filters.

Still, the OP apparently refers to the DR650S. What would the potential off color issues be with this model? (I'm not all that familiar with the Blackvue models.)

Ah, my reply was for the member who bumped this on the 21st!

But for the DR650S from OP - the answer we were told was that, for the DR650S, some production batches had IR lights that could be turned off automatically during day time but other units did not :censored:

Ah, my reply was for the member who bumped this on the 21st!

But for the DR650S from OP - the answer we were told was that, for the DR650S, some production batches had IR lights that could be turned off automatically during day time but other units did not :censored:

Sorry, I thought you were responding my last comment in my post from a couple of hours earlier. Anyway, thanks again for this explanation. I can see why having IR emitters that may or may not be turned on with different production runs of the same model camera might make for confusing results.

. I can see why having IR emitters that may or may not be turned on with different production runs of the same model camera might make for confusing results.
would be a challenge for firmware also if two different versions on the same model

yeah strange thinking
With two different configurations of the same model in different production run batches, the simple solution to avoid confusion might have been a slightly different designation for the particular DR650S model number on each batch. No?

With two different configurations of the same model in different production run batches, the simple solution to avoid confusion might have been a slightly different designation for the particular DR650S model number on each batch. No?
that would be helpful for the customers to at least know what version they have

Back