Blackvue 4K video is not smooth when played inside blackvue app

kshyju

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my blackvue DR900S 4K dash cam during this thanks giving from @BlackboxMyCar . When I transfer a recorded clip from the SD card(from front camera) to internal memory via the blackvue IOS app and then plays (inside the app), the video seems to be stuttering at times. Not very smooth. But when i send this file to my computer and play it there using Quicktime player / VLC player, it plays very smooth. Apparently there is no way to send it to the iPhones photo apps.

I have the default settings for recording (Extreme mode, 30fps). Do you know what could be wrong ? I am using a blackvue 16GB card which came with the dashcam.

Will be buffering get a bigger card 16gb is too small for anything

That won't help. Buffering is caused by the transfer speed not being fast enough for the amount of data.
Apart from that, OP implies that he is playing it from 'internal memory' not the SD card.
OP has not really given enough info to be absolutely sure of what he is doing.

Having said that, a 16GB card is stupid small, but is not causing the problem.

This stuttering is caused by a processor issue in your phone and has nothing to do with buffering. Your phone cannot properly handle processing speed it takes to run these, (H.265) 4K files, however your PC has enough processing speed to handle them, thus the lack of stuttering on your PC.

That said, there is nothing wrong with your phone in regards to these video playbacks; you may just have an older iPhone that cannot accommodate this type of video file properly. I have a similar issue where my phone will handle the playback, but the laptop that I used to edit the video files will not. I end up, (on my laptop) using a program called Handbreak that will convert the 4K, (H.265) file into a more the common mp4 (H.264) format that will allow playback on most devices.

Please note that the H.265 file format, which is what 4K is, is still not as common as the older H.264 file format and this is why you are seeing the playback issues between your devices.

(my) Logical deduction:
The file plays fine on your computer (vlc). That tells you what?
1) microSD is OK
2) dashcam is OK

The file doesn’t play well in your phone Blackvue app.
That tells you what?
1) problem is with your phone since the same file plays well on your computer.

Files CAN be transferred to iPhone photos. I do it all the time.
To do that use the Share file function and chose “save video”. This will move the file into your iPhone photos folder.

Take care
57c364a1278d156f2787b06a18e6bc25.jpg

PS.: I recommend upgrading the microSD card. 16GB will not hold alot in 4K. Get a 128GB microSD - it is a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks @SteveFL Yes I have a 5 years old iPhone5S. Your point makes sense. I will try to switch to H.264 format and see if that works until I get a new phone.

Thanks @AS400 Thanks for clearly explaining.

I did get a Samsung Endurance Pro 128 GB card. I will replace the 16 GB with that today.

Thanks @SteveFL Yes I have a 5 years old iPhone5S. Your point makes sense. I will try to switch to H.264 format and see if that works until I get a new phone.

Thanks @AS400 Thanks for clearly explaining.

I did get a Samsung Endurance Pro 128 GB card. I will replace the 16 GB with that today.

Excellent! You will have a lot more space and be able to review footage from at least 24 hours prior depending on resolution settings and how much you drive and have parking motion vs power.

Report back when you wish please.

I did share the video with a friend who has an iPhone7 and it was smooth in her phone.

I gotta get a phone now :)

I did share the video with a friend who has an iPhone7 and it was smooth in her phone.

I gotta get a phone now :)

There you have it! An excellent excuse to upgrade!

Glad I could help. Let us know how things work out.

I was trying to replace the 128GB card and I accidentally dropped it into my automatic gear console area. It went down :)

I plan on removing the console this weekend and retrieve it

Yea, those things aren't exactly cheap!

Back