Blackvue 500GW-HD - Event vs Normal vs park mode recording question

029kid

Reaction score
Country
Norway
What is the purpose of event recording when the dashcam records 24/7 when hardwired via normal recording ? Is it only so there would be easier to see what recorded file that has a 'gsensor evented record' ?

Another thing I see, is that when in parkmode the dashcam constantly records. Why is that ? Isnt it supposed to just record IF the gsensor detects any movement?

Also, is it possible to be alarmed by voice when you return to the car after a while when the blackbue has stood in parkmode and detected movement?
I means if someone bumps into you, leaving a damage to the car and you dont physically see it until like a week. Then the blackvue would have re-recorded so the data is lost.
:)

Last edited:
I do not own a Blackvue but I had a few iTronics cameras.

" Isnt it supposed to just record IF the gsensor detects any movement? "

The G sensor and/or the "motion detection". If you have fluid/constant movement in front of the lens the camera will basically record continuously in parking mode. Try adjusting the sensitivity in the settings, to a lower threshold.

I have found the parking mode hopeless, I have the motion detection right down to the minimum, however I have found that clouds moving across the sky or leaves moving in the wind activates the camera to record so its recording most of the time, also rain on the windscreen has the same effect. Having camera recording all the time in park mode does a nice job draining my car battery :(

does the parking mode save any g sensor shocks as an event or does it just record it as a parking mode video that will be recorded over eventually?

i need to turn my motion sensor down in parking mode because might also records almost constantly. i assume cars driving off in the distance are also setting it off.

Pizza, no idea how this is on BlackVue, but on the iTronics, the parking footage triggered by either motion or G, is in the same "storage space", and it's set by you in the settings (eg. 70% driving, 30% parking etc). When it reaches it's allocated space, it starts to overwrite.

I have found the parking mode hopeless, I have the motion detection right down to the minimum, however I have found that clouds moving across the sky or leaves moving in the wind activates the camera to record so its recording most of the time, also rain on the windscreen has the same effect. Having camera recording all the time in park mode does a nice job draining my car battery :(

Why don't you set the voltage high enough not to drain it 12v will start anything If its installed correctly it shouldn't run the battery flat EVER.
Unless the batter is old and stuffed

does the parking mode save any g sensor shocks as an event or does it just record it as a parking mode video that will be recorded over eventually?

i need to turn my motion sensor down in parking mode because might also records almost constantly.
The parking mode with motion sensor disabled will only save events (but at the parking G sensitivity). I am running disabled now for motion as even video noise in low light is detected as motion and so it continually records, even at the lowest sensitivity. Shame there isn't another recording type "parking event", as with motion disabled, the P recording doesn't happen (just a standard event).

Another feature that would be good to have is flashing one of the LEDs if it got any events during parking mode, so you can go and spot the potential car park damage before the event gets written over...oh well.

Why don't you set the voltage high enough not to drain it 12v will start anything If its installed correctly it shouldn't run the battery flat EVER.
Unless the batter is old and stuffed
The car which I have Blackvue 500GW-HD installed is based upon a BMW. BMW's are notorious being hyper sensitive to power drain. If the car detects a power drain it flags it up warnings!

Why don't you install something like Power Magic (Pro) ?

Why don't you install something like Power Magic (Pro) ?
I do have a Power Magic (Pro) and this was professionally installed. The problem is that the Blackvue 500GW-HD is just too sensitive in park mode.

Disable motion sensor, which is obviously always going to pick up little movements of objects away from the car& triggered by video noise. Events still trigger from vibrations with motion sensor disabled, make sure your parking axis sensitivity is set up high to pick up small bumps.

you know ive been wondering, do events get erased after awhile too? i was under the assumption mine would fill up with events and eventually i would have to format. sometimes i get over 20 events a day from bumpy parking lots etc at work and after a week and a half i looked on my card and there was only about 40 or so events recorded, all the most recent.

does it save certain space for normal recording too?

Everything gets erased eventually.
I forgot to change the time zone of my card so took it out to do it and it was full anyway.

I just erased the contents of my record folder and it has standard and event recording for the 20th in USA and the 22-25th here in Australia. There are no events or anything prior to that and there would have been some as we were on some rough roads a day or so earlier.

Despite the manual saying it saves "events" it may for a while if you use the % way of recording.

I use the "Time" method and so it doesn't according to my cards contents.

Hope that clarifies things

I'm a little confused, it seems the Blackvue 650-series (atleast) is kindof pointless.

I park in a garage. Lights off, no other cars there, and it still records continously through the night, motion sensor set at absolute minilum. A 64GB card will fill up in about 15hrs @ 10Mbit/s, and is also overwrites events stored during that time. Meaning, you can't be away from your car for more than half a day when street parking without risk of not getting who messed up your car.

Ideally, it should monitor surroundings when triggered by the motion sensor, record and save events when triggered by the G-sensor, and not overwrite these event records. Am I right?

Am I missing something here, or did I just make a pointless purchase?

And I apologise for the epic thread bump. I blame google.

Ray I have the same issue after recently installing powermagic box for my dr650dual. It continues to record 24/7. Blackvue viewer program on my laptop doesn't appear to have motion sensing option but only shock sensing, which appears to have no influence on recording. Perhaps parking mode uses less power? That appears to be the only benefit I can see from the powermagic box. I could have just hardwired a 12v outlet to permanent supply. Other dash cam I had (Lukas) had powermagic equivalent built in and parking mode recorded events only and I expected blackvue with powermagic box to work the same way.

I have checked "auto switch to parking mode" was set to "on" in the blackvue viewer software settings...

https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/...hcam-record-in-Parking-mode-?mobile_site=true

Last edited:
power magic pro is there for the timer and low voltage cutoff functions, it doesn't effect how the camera works, only how long it will work for, if you just hardwired to a 12v supply the camera would work exactly the same only it would keep running until you had a flat battery

power magic pro is there for the timer and low voltage cutoff functions, it doesn't effect how the camera works, only how long it will work for, if you just hardwired to a 12v supply the camera would work exactly the same only it would keep running until you had a flat battery

So does that suggest my Blackvue is faulty if it continually records files to the SD card in parking mode, despite it being selected as not to do this in the settings? Is this a known issue with Blackvue, or perhaps it's a firmware-specific issue (mine is still the original firmware but I will upgrade it if it can be confirmed to fix the problem).

I would've expected the "auto parking mode" switched on would continuously buffer but only record events in parking mode, but it just continuously records (shown with "P" in the file name for parking mode files). There are no other settings I can see which would affect this feature. Others in this thread mentioned switching off the motion sensor option, but my DR650 doesn't even have that in any of the settings - only shock sensor adjustment.

Back