blackvue 550 and power magic pro issue

stanley c

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering does the camera ever shut off after I stop driving or does it shut off when the battery hits 11.8 volts?

After parking my car and come back four hours later my camera is still recording. any way I can shut it off as soon as i park and then turns on when the camera detects movement or when i turn on the car?

Power magic pro claims to shut the camera off once it his 11.8 volts but there has been many times I have to jump start my car in the morning.

I'm not familiar with that particular battery discharge prevention system but worth the PANOBDP motopark you can flip tiny dip switches.

Ok I found the problem. Voltage cut off is 11.8 and there is no timer set so it'll keep recording.

Now if I set the timer to turn off one hour after the car is shut off. If someone drives by and hits my car will the camera turn on and start recording automatically?

With the timer, it will cut power to the camera exactly at that time (1 hour for example) even if there is still > 11.8V
Now that you turned the timer off, it will only turn off after 11.8V

11.8v is usually too low to start the engine though in cold weather. You should keep it above 12v if you can set the voltage on that device.

Last edited:
how do u set the power magic pro?

agIWP.jpg

I emailed BlackVue to ask how the PMP could be re-calibrated to support a 12.4v cutoff. They replied that it couldn't.

My second email suggesting that future models support a voltage that will actually protect the battery against drain went unanswered.

IMO, the PMP is useless at the voltages it provides. I'd be using the timer instead and set it for 6 hours. Configure the BlackVue for motion detection so that it's not recording all the time.

I really wish we'd have these sorts of settings built into the camera instead of relying on a PMP-like device. An ignition-aware camera with fine-tunable voltage settings (in .1v increments) would be optimal.

i noticed you guys posted settings for 6 hours what about two? i drive a smaller car with a smaller battery.

how would u guys say the quality of the 550? i caught a guy breaking my window but its not all that clear.

So after the power magic pro shuts off at 12v of once the timer has been reached. If a car his my car the camera will not continue to record. Is that correct?

Back