Blackvue 650 not starting up when ignition turned on

JaseQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blackvue 650 2 CH
I have the Blackvue 650 2CH in my Seat Ibiza ecomotive vehicle which is connected with the power magic pro. Initially when the unit was purchased things were working pretty much as they should have but just recently the Blackvue has not started up when the ignition has been switched on, the unit remains idle (no LEDS etc) and it has been usually 15-20 mins later when the device starts recording and I get the voice message 'Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording mode'. The power magic pro is set to 12V and 12 hours timer which is how it was when I had it installed. What also happens is sometimes when the vehicle is parked overnight, it is apparent that the device shuts down during the night as there are no recorded files at all which was never the case when things were working properly.
I have contacted the Blackvue dealer who I bought the unit and PMP from and they suggested I move dip switch 2 down and dip switch 5 up and this appeared to work for a day or so but then I was back to not starting when the ignition was turned on and again having to wait 15-20 minutes before the device kicked in.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem and how I resolve it. I did wonder whether my car battery could be on its way out although there is no other symptoms which suggest this is the case (the car and the battery are 4 years old), but failing that I am stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you got a multimeter? Ideally you need to test the power at the permanent feed (or battery) first thing in the morning to see what charge is in the battery.

Might be worth investing in something like a CTEK MXS 5.0 and recondition the battery if the power is low.

Sounds to me though like you haven't got enough charge in the battery (but still enough to start the car) and it's only starting up once the battery has received enough charge on a journey.

But it sounds to me like a power/charge issue with the car battery. But a multimeter will give you a better idea.

I have the Blackvue 650 2CH in my Seat Ibiza ecomotive vehicle which is connected with the power magic pro. Initially when the unit was purchased things were working pretty much as they should have but just recently the Blackvue has not started up when the ignition has been switched on, the unit remains idle (no LEDS etc) and it has been usually 15-20 mins later when the device starts recording and I get the voice message 'Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording mode'. The power magic pro is set to 12V and 12 hours timer which is how it was when I had it installed. What also happens is sometimes when the vehicle is parked overnight, it is apparent that the device shuts down during the night as there are no recorded files at all which was never the case when things were working properly.
I have contacted the Blackvue dealer who I bought the unit and PMP from and they suggested I move dip switch 2 down and dip switch 5 up and this appeared to work for a day or so but then I was back to not starting when the ignition was turned on and again having to wait 15-20 minutes before the device kicked in.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem and how I resolve it. I did wonder whether my car battery could be on its way out although there is no other symptoms which suggest this is the case (the car and the battery are 4 years old), but failing that I am stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is likely that the PMP is cutting off the power in the night as the voltage is reaching 12Volts before the 12 hrs is up. This would explain why the PMP is shutting the camera down in the night and why there are no recorded files. If you want extended running time when parked you need to get a Cellink-B.

Your car voltage when ignition is on will be ~14volts which is enough to start the PMP up. However, the best way to check if there is a problem is to run the camera with a cigarette plug from your cars cigarette lighter. Then if the issue goes away we know it is caused by the PMP or the wiring.

It is likely that the PMP is cutting off the power in the night as the voltage is reaching 12Volts before the 12 hrs is up. This would explain why the PMP is shutting the camera down in the night and why there are no recorded files. If you want extended running time when parked you need to get a Cellink-B.

Your car voltage when ignition is on will be ~14volts which is enough to start the PMP up. However, the best way to check if there is a problem is to run the camera with a cigarette plug from your cars cigarette lighter. Then if the issue goes away we know it is caused by the PMP or the wiring.

The device never used to cut out at night, it always recorded right the way through so I'm not sure that is the reason why it is doing it now.
I am getting another PMP sent out and hopefully this will resolve the issue. I've tried looking at the wiring and everything seems to be as it should be with no loose connections that I can see anyway. The green light on the box is on so I'm hoping its just a faulty connector on the cigarette lighter or something as there is no power getting through to the Blackvue device itself now.
My car battery was tested today also and that is all in working order.

Could it be the colder weather affecting things?

No I don't think so. Its not actually that cold where I am. 12 degrees this morning and it didn't start up. I'm hoping it is just a problem with the power magic pro and a replacement will some the issue.

No I don't think so. Its not actually that cold where I am. 12 degrees this morning and it didn't start up. I'm hoping it is just a problem with the power magic pro and a replacement will some the issue.

JaseQ did you ever resolve this issue. I am having the exact same issue with the exact same camera. My blue GPS light is on however no recording or anything else for that matter is working.

In the end I had to replace the power lead from the Blackvue as it was that which was causing the power cuts. All now seems to be working as it should.

which one is the power lead? My blackvue didn't turn on today when I started my car but my pmp had a green light on. I had to switch my PMP on and off again before it started working. I keep my PMP off for now and my dashcam is only turned on when I start the engine. I wonder what's wrong.

which one is the power lead? My blackvue didn't turn on today when I started my car but my pmp had a green light on. I had to switch my PMP on and off again before it started working. I keep my PMP off for now and my dashcam is only turned on when I start the engine. I wonder what's wrong.

I'm on about the power lead for the actual dashcam. This is what I replaced. I didn't think this would work initially because I was getting power now and again but there must have been a break somewhere in the cable. This might be a pain especially if you have all of the cables hidden away but a process of elimination is the only way you will solve the issue but you could at first try a new cable without removing all of your current cabling. I tried everything such as a new power magic pro, sd card and new power lead sorted it for me.

Back