BlackVue 900S - cannot see WiFi?

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S - 2ch with B-124 battery hardwired
I've just managed to install my BlackVue900S-2ch into my car.

I've got to play with all the settings etc - so I downloaded the App on my Android phone and WiFi is turned on, on the BlackVue.

But the BlackVue's WiFi does not show in my list of available WiFi networks - so I can't connect or do anything with it.

I've tried turning the WiFi off on the camera, waiting, then turning it back on but still not in my list of WiFi networks.

The voice tells me it's on, but I can't see it.

I've tried adding the WiFi manually, but it's as though it's even there.

Anyone know what I can do?

Reactions: Liz
When you tap "Blackvue Wi-Fi" on the Blackvue app, where does it take you?

It goes to my Android phone's list of available WiFi networks that are in range.
But the BlackVue is not listed there

I've just manually updated the firmware to 1.04 using the SD card, but that hasn't helped.
The WiFi light is on, and it says "WiFi On", but the SSID isn't listed in my WiFi list...

It wouldn't bother me too much because it's recording fine and I've tested the videos.
But I've had to install the front camera upside down (due to a large rain sensor on the car)
So I need to go into the setting and flip the image.

I've found this;

[ISSUE] DR900S SSID not being shown on some Android devices.
NomanAugust 23, 2018 05:16
This is a known issue that the SSID of DR900S dashcam is not being broadcasted on some Android devices. The reason for this issue is that although the camera has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi bandwidth, in the current firmware settings the dashcam only broadcast 5G, so if your phone doesn't support 5Ghz network, the SSID won't appear in the settings.
With the latest 1.004 firmware upgrade which can choose between 2.4Ghz and 5G bandwidth. Please choose 2.4Ghz settings which will fix the issue.

I'm using a Google Pixel 2 XL which supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz but I can't see either on my device, even after upgrading firmware.

I'll have to mess around some more over the weekend.

I've now managed to find this video which shows my issue and give details for a workaround until BlackVue sort it out

I've managed to sort it all out.

Didn't take as long as I thought, but still a lot of hassle...

The issue is the BlackVue 900S broadcasts on channel 157 for 5GHz, which isn't compatible with most UK/European phones.

The BlackVue broadcasts 5GHz by default, so most phones can't see the network (even when they're 5GHz compatible).

I manually updated the dashcam's firmware by downloading it from BlackVue's website, putting on an SD card and putting in the dashcam.

This updates the Dashcam to be able to broadcast in both 2.4 and 5 GHz - but it still broadcasts in 5 GHz by default.

I then took the SD card back out and plugged it in my PC and loaded the BlackVue Viewer program.

You can then click on the Setting button and it will show the setting of the Dashcam currently configured on the SD card.
I was then able to select 2.4 GHz WiFi instead of 5 GHz
(I also changed the SSID and WiFi password too).

Put the SD card back in my car and the WiFi now showed up on my phone and I was able to connect to it using the Android App.

Excellent camera and app - but a disappointing WiFi issue that's on there until you go through a lot of settings to resolve it yourselves.

BlackVue half sorted the issue in the 1.04 firmware, but then they left 5GHz as the default WiFi... Silly.
They should have switched it to 2.4GHz and it would be sorted by default.

Glad you got that sorted. It never goes as planned lol I’m still debating whether or not I should remove the sticky pad and reseat it as the camera is a touch to the right and while it isn’t affecting its viewing angle it’s still annoying because I know it’s there.

Any luck with the cloud? I’ve connected mine to my home WiFi but when I go into the cloud part of the app there are no files to view and it keeps saying “failed to retrieve the file list from the camera”. I was under the impression that when it was in parking mode it would automatically try to connect to its preferred WiFi connection which in this instance is my home WiFi.

I've not used Cloud yet because I've only got it set up with the ignition so far.
I've got an OBD cable coming next week so I can free up the cigarette lighter port, but also to add a bit of extra time for recording once ignition is off.

I've moved the camera, so I'd recommend moving it if it annoys you.
I had to turn mine upside down so the holder was on the left, due to a large rain sensor on windscreen meaning the camera holder was sticking into the driver's view.
Flipped it over and so glad I did.

I used the BlackVue pry tool that's used for pushing the cable into trim. I gently pulled one edge of the holder away from the window and used the pry tool to ease the sticky pad off the window as I pulled the holder (the sticky pad wanted to stay on the window).
It was still good to reuse (but I'd only been on for 1 hour previously).

Another thing I did was switch the BlackVue 16gb SD card that came with it for my Samsung 128gb Pro Endurance SD card.

It didn't work when I pluged it in, the BlackVue said "Check SD Card".
So I put into my laptop and it was formatted to E-FAT which the BlackVue doesn't recognise.
So I formatted it to FAT32 (using a format tool, because Windows 10 wouldn't format to FAT32).

Plugged back into the BlackVue and it formatted the card itself then started recording as normal.

All sorted for now.

Only had cam installed one day and wifi connection worked straight away to iPhone 7
Clicked on BlackVue ssid connection and only had to enter the password from details in box on a white sticker, a nice upgrade from a mini 0806 without wifi and next base 512 in other car.

I have just bought a Blackvue BlackVue900S (1 channel) dashcam and having done some searching, I came across your post from last year.
I also had the issue of my dahcam not recognising the wifi network on the 5ghz setting on my Android phone (it did show up in 2.4ghz mode). It would also not show up on my Android Tablet (both have 5ghz wifi ).
However, the dashcam did show up on my wife's iPad when the 5ghz mode was enabled.
So on the phone (and tablet), I went into settings>system>reset>reset network settings and after the warning, I reset the network settings.
This meant I had to re-pair my bluetooth, wifi and mobile data (although the mobile data didn't need any input from me as it was working straight away after the reset).
However, the BlackVue900S appeared in the wifi list afterwards and I can now use the 5ghz frequency on the firmware.
Hope this might help.

Thanks, but this was fixed in a previous firmware update by BlackVue.

If you've just bought yours, make sure you update the firmware to get the latest improvements.

Thanks, but this was fixed in a previous firmware update by BlackVue.

If you've just bought yours, make sure you update the firmware to get the latest improvements.
Thanks for that.
Mine did have the latest firmware (and I reloaded it to check), but I still couldn't see the WiFi on my phone or tablet. Only the resetting of the phone's network fixed this.

I had an issue connecting to my DR900S-CH2, but once I shut off my phones VPN, it connected right up. It makes sense, when you are trying to connect directly to your dashcam you'll not be going through the VPN's servers, so the connection will not work. One more thing, be sure to set the setting on your phone to allow connections without the VPN active.

I've just installed my 900S via the Power Magic Pro (quite a simple process if you take your time), an by far what took the most time (hours) was trying to get a reliable connecting to the Wifi. Almost 100% of the time my Iphone X iOS12 would fail, with either "Unable to connect to network" or "Incorrect password" alerts. My Android had better luck but the connection was so unreliable it was a rarity if I could get in to the settings and make changed before the connection dropped.
I'm going to see if switching to 2.4ghz works because as noted here, by default it's in the 5ghz range and - frankly - at this stage I've all but given up.

Thanks for the tip!

I've just installed my 900S via the Power Magic Pro (quite a simple process if you take your time), an by far what took the most time (hours) was trying to get a reliable connecting to the Wifi. Almost 100% of the time my Iphone X iOS12 would fail, with either "Unable to connect to network" or "Incorrect password" alerts. My Android had better luck but the connection was so unreliable it was a rarity if I could get in to the settings and make changed before the connection dropped.
I'm going to see if switching to 2.4ghz works because as noted here, by default it's in the 5ghz range and - frankly - at this stage I've all but given up.

Thanks for the tip!

These issues seem quite random. I have an iPhone X Max and it connects fine every time on 5ghz.

When I first installed this camera, I also experienced frequent issues connecting to the camera WiFi. I eliminated some of these when I noticed that the iPad in my bag was automatically connecting when I got in the car. Even though I never told the iPad to connect, it was set to automatically connect to the Blackvue after I used my iPhone to do the same.

I have also noticed that it may take a full 30 seconds or so for the Blackvue WiFi name to show up in my list of available networks. That can be frustrating, and give the impression that it's not working. Sometimes a quick tap on the side of the camera to turn WiFi off and then on again will remedy this.

Well as a follow-up, by some minor miracle I was able to quickly connect to the cam using my Android last night. So I changed the wifi setting to 2.4ghz and, with a wave of relief that I can only describe as euphoric, I discovered I can now reliably and consistently connect to the camera on my iPhone and Android. To be honest when watching live view or downloading videos to the app the speed difference is not particularly significant. I'm more than happy to remain on 2.4ghz, no messing around with disabling cell, bluetooth, or any other rubbish. Thank the sweet lord of dashcams and @danlat1415 !

Only had dr900s duo for week, but still will not connect to wifi, camera has latest updates also android has latest updates, anybody with any ideas
it would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Back