Blackvue 900X recording when parking mode is disabled

Liamc

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I hardwired installed a Blackvue 900x in October 2020 in a BMW G20 330d. I have it setup to record only when the car is in motion. Parking mode is disabled.
It works fine most of the time but on a number of occasions it has not powered down when the car is switched off. It did not power down last Friday 22 January
and stated on constantly until Tuesday 26 January. It continued to record day and night for this time. None of the settings have been changed. It is now back to
normal and powers down 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off. This also happened back in early December 2020 and I asked an auto electrician for advice.
The auto electrician concluded that it is temperature related as on both occasions temperatures when below freezing point. His view is that the ignition on
fuses power down when the ignition is switched off. But during low temperatures these ignition on fuses maintain a certain level of voltage and this is sufficient
to keep the dashcam operating. Blackvue have reviewed the camera settings and state that they are correct. They can offer no advice other than that the ignition
on fuses are not powering down.

Welcome to DCT @Liamc :)

The newer BMW's can give all kinds of grief regards powering a dashcam, as their computer-controlled power scheme is total and nothing is a given with them. Circuits can activate themselves or go dead seemingly without reason. Many owners have had to use powerbanks for their dashcams to get reliable functioning. In short, I'm afraid that there's probably no other cure :(

Phil

Take your package (car and dashcam/s) to a BlackVue dealer-installer and have them fix it. Moneywise, if I could afford driving a BMW, I could certainly afford having a professional BV installer do the install. Plus, if there are additional problems after that, then they have to get them fixed and if they can't, you have grounds to get a replacement 900X from BV under their warranty terms. But be quick, 12 months go by fast.

Welcome to the forun Liamc.
Yeah new cars can be problematic, though most often we hear of fuses not staying on as problems.
If you say what year / model your car is and what fuse numbers you are tapped into for what, there are some people on here able to give advise to better fuses as they have technicians to lean on.

As i recall BMW are one of the problematic brands, or should i say more problematic than other problem brands in this regard.

It is weird it have worked but now dont, it could be if it is a 3 wire kit the ACC wire have come loose so the camera / hard wire kit never got a signal to turn off.

BMW do make some nice cars, but for me there are 1 problem outside of their price, so never going to get one of those not even with a multi million lotto win.
Also probably best if i stick to slow cars, changing to drive 4 X 4 cars did wonders for my driving, which before that was very very very bad.

@Liamc What wires/fuses did you wire the kit to? Did you have any sort of guide in regards to the installation? I wonder if you could get hold of BMW's fitting instructions for their Advanced Car Eye camera for your car as you could then use the same wires as that uses which might then help.

I have found instructions dated March 2019 which includes a G20, basically BMW update the instructions to add new cars.
Advanced Car Eye PDF

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. No BV installers where I live in Ireland. The car is a January 2020 330D code G20. I put the Yellow ACC wire into ignition on fuse F72 and the Red Battery wire into always on fuse F38. Both these fuse slots were empty. The Advanced Car Eye Camera from BMW has only got 2 wires. They recommend always on fuse F35 for the live wire.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. No BV installers where I live in Ireland. The car is a January 2020 330D code G20. I put the Yellow ACC wire into ignition on fuse F72 and the Red Battery wire into always on fuse F38. Both these fuse slots were empty. The Advanced Car Eye Camera from BMW has only got 2 wires. They recommend always on fuse F35 for the live wire.

Attachments

• AD331368-BB5A-436F-B051-13EF71C9E198.jpeg
    AD331368-BB5A-436F-B051-13EF71C9E198.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi Liam, if you look on the instructions it lists 3 wires for the advanced cam. A terminal 30 (permanent live), terminal 15 (ignition/acc) and terminal 31 (earth).

Hi Liam, if you look on the instructions it lists 3 wires for the advanced cam. A terminal 30 (permanent live), terminal 15 (ignition/acc) and terminal 31 (earth).

Great See that now . Fuse 35 in front fuse box for permanent live , fuse 207 in rear fuse box for ignition/acc and earth at earth point in front of car.
I am using fuse piggybacks and will move them to correct fuses.

Great See that now . Fuse 35 in front fuse box for permanent live , fuse 207 in rear fuse box for ignition/acc and earth at earth point in front of car.
I am using fuse piggybacks and will move them to correct fuses.
There’s a good chance that fuse 35 and 38 are fed by the same power bar within the fuse box so might not make any difference but given how easy the fuse taps are to swap you might as well, definitely worth moving the acc to fuse 207 though given the issue you have seems to be linked to the acc staying powered by the car. Hopefully it sorts the issue.

I will move the ACC to 207. However I am going to have to leave the permanent live in 38 as it is not possible to get the fuse tap into 35 because of the design of the fuse box. I tested 207 and it switches off within about
2 minutes of the car being switched off.

To thank everybody for their help and advice last week. Its now working as it should and all is good. Thank you.

Back