Blackvue app now has ADS

They should look at doing it like Ring, with the free service you can access it anytime, if you want events stored in the cloud you pay $20 per year for the service

Maybe a competitor which has wifi baked into their products should come up with an interface that allows:

1. the user to register the device to a dynamic DNS address so the user can always point their client app at the right domain name to reach the dashcam
  2. live view
  3. remote access to files stored on the device
  4. ability to configure the device to trigger certain files (e.g. event files) to be uploaded to a server that you configure yourself whether via FTP or some other protocol.

It would allow the more technically savvy to achieve these features, and also ability to read data off device connected to home or work network (when running in parking mode), without having to pay for cloud features because there wouldn't be a need for a server to be supported/paid for by some revenue stream

I don't like things being restricted to only the "technically savvy"; such features should be easily used by anyone who wants to use them. A small basic service should be offered which could be instantly upgradable to registered cam owners at any time with those wishing to use extended services paying their own way. What should never happen is forcing those who do not desire extended services to "pay" for that in any manner including forced ads. I think BV now understand that much, but in all honesty I don't believe they yet understand the principles behind it nor do they understand that what their customers want may differ from their own wishes. One should never expect to receive that which is not being offered.

Phil

My point wasnt to be restrictive to the technically savvy
I was just suggesting that some things (eg pointing the device to a home server/NAS for DIY cloud storage is not going to be straightforward for most users to set up.).
The problem is that setting up “easy” cloud storage might not be as cheap as we the end users want it to be.

It should be made easy to set up and connect with home servers, then everyone can do what they want from there. Supply and demand will control the 'cloud' pricing so with it's increasing popularity so will go the price even if dashcam footage doesn't play a noticeable part.

In the end it's convenience that most seek, and set-up need only be done once. I don't see such a thing greatly increasing a cam's cost at the BV price level but it would definitely have an impact on budget-level cam pricing. People are generally happy to pay more to get what they want as long as it truly is what they want in the way they want to have it. The griping comes in when it's not what they wanted or expected it to be. Happy customers become loyal customers so give them what they want ;)

Phil

BlackVue cloud services are run over Amazon Web Services, so BlackVue have to pay for their service depending on useage - which is why BlackVue charge for subscriptions for multiple cameras/more useage.

If BlackVue had the ability to provide their own fully run Cloud service (and not via Amazon) then they would be charged by an external supplier, but means they'd still have increased internal costs.

At the moment BlackVue focus on the camera while adding in services helped by third parties.

BlackVue cloud services are run over Amazon Web Services, so BlackVue have to pay for their service depending on useage - which is why BlackVue charge for subscriptions for multiple cameras/more useage.

If BlackVue had the ability to provide their own fully run Cloud service (and not via Amazon) then they would be charged by an external supplier, but means they'd still have increased internal costs.

At the moment BlackVue focus on the camera while adding in services helped by third parties.

when they first started this up the default settings were streaming live view even if you didn't set that, expect they ran up a lot of costs doing it that way, perhaps they though the majority would pay for the service, learning experience maybe

Back