Blackvue B-124 Battery issue

Skybird

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey people, I'm from the capital of New Zealand.

I got a Blackvue DR900S 2-CH dash cam and a Blackvue B-124 Battery from Blackvue New Zealand's authorized distributor, DriverCam Ltd, 16/9/2018.

Does Blackvue sell/source a (seperate/replacement) CIGARETTE LIGHTER PLUG POWER CABLE which will connect from the B-124 battery to my cars' cigarette port? If so how much and if this is covered under warranty and how long is the warranty.

At the end of each day I gently pull out this cable from my cars' (Toyota Aqua 2013) cigarette port. But 2 days ago, I saw some parts from the plug came loose and out. A small spring, a thin rod, and a tiny silver screw. I gently reinserted the thin rod back in the port to the plug (not my car cigarette port) and connected it to my car cigarette port. The blackvue turns on but it only powers the dash cam while driving for a few minutes before it turns off.
20191020_112243.jpg20191020_112626.jpgAAAAA.jpg

two pieces missing from your photo, the fuse and the tip, it would have been loose and just fell apart

20191020_151532.jpg

I DIY fixed it my self. It turned on the battery and dash cam fine and when I checked back 15 minutes, it was recording in Parking Mode.

Regardless, I went ahead with ordering a new replacement from The DashCam Store, I think an American company.

US$19.99 for replacement chord
US$30.41 for 4 day DHL Express Courier to Wellington NZ.
Total: US$50.40
Total on my end: NZ$80.89 (after I presume currency conversion charge, my bank is ANZ). Note I've erased my personal info:

qw.jpg

Blackvue New Zealand's official distributor hasn't gotten back to me yet. And it's kind of a priority for me. I think I'll leave the chord inserted into my car 12V port. I do turn the dash cam and battery off when I'm parked next to my residence.

Update. I just checked on my car. And it only recorded for 18 minutes when it was stationary and from when I turned it on. Maybe the battery is low. Will update when it arrives in New Zealand ETA Monday 28 October.

Your B124 is not being fully charged between usages because you seem not to be using it correctly, consequently the camera is prematurely fully discharging it.

As you are disconnecting the B124 from the car each night, is it being fully charged when you are driving? How long is your daily drive? If it is not fully charged each trip, it will gradually 'run down' until it goes 'flat' and will not power your dashcam. It sounds like this is the scenario in your case.

As your knowledge of things electrical seems to be limited (based on your description of a fuse as a "thin rod"), you would be best served by getting an expert to hard wire the B124, as it charges at least twice as fast when this is done compared with charging from the ciggy socket. This will have the added advantage of not breaking the plug by constant removal/re-insertion.

Thanks. I've ordered a new one anyways and will use it once it arrives which could be this week or next week. It is working fine again. I have been using parking mode a lot last week which is why when I checked this morning using the blackvue battery app on my samsung s9 that it was only 32% charged after 15 mins driving and explains why parking mode was short last night.

My car has a 5 year toyota warranty on it so any hardwiring would have to be done by my local toyota branch so that I don't void my toyota warranty. I hardly check the blackvue battery via the app so will make a regular habit of it and if need be I'll get it hardwired which would be 2x faster at charging.

I got my 1st car october last year so wont be as tech savvy with cars compared with more experienced drivers. Toyota is a very good brand cheaper to service and they said if there's any issues with my car they said bring it in and they'll be happy to help.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back