BlackVue C app - why does it need to SHARE my location with others?

Chuck13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am preparing to setup my newly purchased BlackVue dashcam and downloaded the BlackVue C iOS app.

Upon starting the app, BlackVue have a pop-up that stated the following:

"BlackVue uses your current location.... and may anonymously share your dashcam location with other users. "

If I disagree, the app will just quit.

I do NOT want BlackVue to use my location, not share it with "other users". Why does BlackVue need these?!

Now I cannot use effectively use the dashcam because I cannot use the app to change settings and watch the video on the go, among other things.

IMG_1106.jpg

Last edited:
I do NOT want BlackVue to use my location, not share it with "other users". Why does BlackVue need these?!
The cost of the cloud feature needs to be recovered.. thinking they spent the money "just" for your benefit is naive. Nothing unique with that.. Microsoft has been upping the spy aspect for years.. and many software programs do the same.. credit cards.. browsing history..with or without your approval.

It needs to be an option. This is the key topic here, because nowhere in the box did BlackVue stated that the user CANNOT opt out from sharing their location and if they disagree, the user CANNOT use the camera efficiently.

Not everyone just agree blindly to share everything like you.

Oh, and thanks for calling me naive. I guess you are one those who believe that privacy is dead and anyone can share your information. Oh well.

It needs to be an option. This is the key topic here, because nowhere in the box did BlackVue stated that the user CANNOT opt out from sharing their location and if they disagree, the user CANNOT use the camera efficiently.

Not everyone just agree blindly to share everything like you.

Oh, and thanks for calling me naive. I guess you are one those who believe that privacy is dead and anyone can share your information. Oh well.

:) Sadly.. unless we are willing to live in a cave tracking is a fact of life with today's technology. Sharing.. is one of the main reasons I have not upgraded to Windows 10, I understand "it" has taken the lack of privacy to a new level. My response.. was intended to be "tongue in cheek".. I agree 100% with your position about it being an option to opt out.. :) Another "along" the same line is the fact that Blackvue insists on placing their name on the video.. I think that should be removable option as well.

:) Sadly.. unless we are willing to live in a cave tracking is a fact of life with today's technology. Sharing.. is one of the main reasons I have not upgraded to Windows 10, I understand "it" has taken the lack of privacy to a new level. My response.. was intended to be "tongue in cheek".. I agree 100% with your position about it being an option to opt out.. :) Another "along" the same line is the fact that Blackvue insists on placing their name on the video.. I think that should be removable option as well.

Neither did I upgrade to Windows 10. I still have my old but trusty Windows 7. I do use Mac with Little Snitch.

I did not know about the Blackvue name listed in the video. That's just forced "marketing", in addition to forced "sharing". Hmmm...

After more research, I found out that BlackVue have 2 apps: BlackVue and BlackVue C. The "C" requires location sharing or else the app will quit, but the other one does not. So I am using the other one. Let's hope BlackVue has no plan to stop updating the other app.

Back