Blackvue Cloud Confusion

Prozmonkey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650GW-2CH
I'm trying this cloud thing ... I have the camera connected to my home wifi which is great .

What I'm confused about is how I get it to connect to I assume the bt wifi or what other wifi when I'm out and parked up somewhere so I can get an alert if something happens.
Do I have to sit and search for free wifi etc ?

I believe the intention is that there is an always on hotspot in the vehicle for the camera to connect to, probably more practical in Korea than a lot of other countries

Have to connect to a hotspot - often free at the place you're visiting; but BT have hotspots, just need to download the app.

the camera needs to connect to a hotspot, don't think there's an app for that

Ah, so I misunderstood - but having just thought about it, can see the issue. So, in Korea, they have dedicated hotspots for this? Still not quite understanding how this works!

Ah, so I misunderstood - but having just thought about it, can see the issue. So, in Korea, they have dedicated hotspots for this? Still not quite understanding how this works!

A lot of vehicles are have built in internet connection, mifi hotspot device will do the same thing, I think a lot of confusion with this feature comes from people not really understanding the setup and intended usage

Ok, so my vehicle has built in 3G, and I have a BT wifi hotspot app. What is the setup, exactly? :)

No idea what a BT WiFi hotspot app is, if your car has a WiFi hotspot built in the camera needs to be setup to connect to that for cloud access

I had the idea of using Sky's WiFi hotspots, but I think the fact you need to use an App to authorise the use of them is where the Dashcam will fail. Might be wrong as I haven't tried!

Another alternative I thought of is to buy one of those mobile hotspots for the car and set up the camera to that. Problem is, I can't see the cloud function being very useful for anything other than getting notifications to justify the costs!

BT is a communications provider here in Britain, and which has an app for tapping into wifi hotspots. To access my car's 3G capability, the BV would need to have blue tooth capability, and the car's power would need to be on! This vid seems to suggest a router is required?

Hopefully somebody here will be able to clearly explain how this (blackvue over the cloud) works!

BT is a communications provider here in Britain, and which has an app for tapping into wifi hotspots. To access my car's 3G capability, the BV would need to have blue tooth capability, and the car's power would need to be on! This vid seems to suggest a router is required?

Hopefully somebody here will be able to clearly explain how this (blackvue over the cloud) works!

it's explained in the first 1 minute of the video, camera needs an internet connection via wifi to access the cloud, your phone is connecting to the cloud via its own internet access to route back to the camera, I see lots of people thinking the phone connects directly to the camera

Last edited:
I had the idea of using Sky's WiFi hotspots, but I think the fact you need to use an App to authorise the use of them is where the Dashcam will fail. Might be wrong as I haven't tried!

Another alternative I thought of is to buy one of those mobile hotspots for the car and set up the camera to that. Problem is, I can't see the cloud function being very useful for anything other than getting notifications to justify the costs!

I think it's intended more for corporate/fleet clientele. Would also be really neat if you had teenage kids driving your car, see where they're going (and how fast) and hear what they're saying... incredibly creepy but I can see why a parent would be interested haha

I think it's intended more for corporate/fleet clientele. Would also be really neat if you had teenage kids driving your car, see where they're going (and how fast) and hear what they're saying... incredibly creepy but I can see why a parent would be interested haha

Haha yea...a bit too '1984' for me!

Well my other idea of connecting to the WiFi at the university I work at has now also been been a fail, since I need to enter my University log in details to authorise access to it. Much like the BT and Sky hot spots, its not a simple case of connecting and entering in the router password. Need to either use a web browser to log in, or download a certificate.

I'm not savvy enough to know if you can connect the dash cam to access points like these, but my guess is no?

Ah well...that's the cloud functionality out the window for me then. Strange, when I first set it up to my wifi at home, it could get signal and worked well. Drove and parked up again in exactly the same spot and couldn't reconnect. Tried manually and it can't even see the wifi point anymore....

Ah well...that's the cloud functionality out the window for me then. Strange, when I first set it up to my wifi at home, it could get signal and worked well. Drove and parked up again in exactly the same spot and couldn't reconnect. Tried manually and it can't even see the wifi point anymore....

Thank you for your feedback, if it's ok we would suggest that you relay your concerns to your countries distributor; in your case it is www.in-car.com so they can relay your concerns to the manufacturer. We think it is important that the distributors are contacted so the manufacturer can be made aware of the experiences people are having with their Cloud software.

Thank you for your feedback, if it's ok we would suggest that you relay your concerns to your countries distributor; in your case it is www.in-car.com so they can relay your concerns to the manufacturer. We think it is important that the distributors are contacted so the manufacturer can be made aware of the experiences people are having with their Cloud software.

Yea of course. No problem.

I had hoped that I could have connected to my home wifi when at home obviously .... my mobile phone hotspot when out and around in the car and then when parked up I had hoped to connect to any of the free wifi going around or logging into a BT Hotspot .
The reality doesn't work like that though and I don't know why.
Back to 1.009 for me it is . Its a good idea but only if wifi is built in to your car.
Why couldn't it just remember the different wifi logins and use what ever was available ?

I had hoped that I could have connected to my home wifi when at home obviously .... my mobile phone hotspot when out and around in the car and then when parked up I had hoped to connect to any of the free wifi going around or logging into a BT Hotspot .
The reality doesn't work like that though and I don't know why.
Back to 1.009 for me it is . Its a good idea but only if wifi is built in to your car.
Why couldn't it just remember the different wifi logins and use what ever was available ?

Indeed. But even the wifi hotspot in the car wouldn't work, because it does not operate while the ignition is off!

The ability to remember multiple wifi hotspots would certainly be a first step in making it useable.

The issue with the public BT hotspots is the additional authorisation needed to connect. Can't see how BV could get around this issue?

Indeed. But even the wifi hotspot in the car wouldn't work, because it does not operate while the ignition is off!

The ability to remember multiple wifi hotspots would certainly be a first step in making it useable.

The issue with the public BT hotspots is the additional authorisation needed to connect. Can't see how BV could get around this issue?

I'm with BT so I can use there free hotspots etc ..... if only it would work that way it would be great but for me its useless just now.

Back