Blackvue cloud users?

Minor correction: If your phone is wifi capable, you wouldn't necessarily need the cell network to get the video stream to your phone. You could get it through the wifi connection.

But on-the-move or driving? Yes... cell service absolutely required.

If a router is required to connect the dashcam to the "cloud" (so that I can monitor my truck from "anywhere in the world",) why isn't it included with the dashcam or at least eluded to in the advertising?

You'd have to ask Pittasoft.

But built-in wifi is increasingly becoming an option/feature in new cars.
So the need to add a router may become unnecessary as time goes on.

I use a Cisco ISR in my vehicle, but I'm a geek, and wanted a router that could do a hell of a lot more than a standard Verizon jet pack.

But built-in wifi is increasingly becoming an option/feature in new cars.
Does that WiFi hot spot stay powered on when the car is turned off? I believe not.. so the only time you can send your video to the cloud is while driving. which is the part of using the cloud that I find goofy. Do folk send all the video to the cloud.. so they can review it at home? Do you drive along and decide... oh that was an interesting bit 30 seconds ago.. I will pull over and send that section to the cloud..
Not understanding the cloud concept from a practical point of view, obviously........

The cloud is basically remote access.

You don't send all data to the cloud (you don't have near the necessary bandwidth to do that). The data is still stored on the microSD card, but you can access it over the cloud, if desired.

**** Edit ****

My wifi stays powered when the car is off, but I wired in an entire second battery for that purpose.

Back