Blackvue cloud users?

mauanfa1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone here using Blackvue over the cloud? Doesn't seem like many people are using it.

I love getting notifications when my car is being moved since it is parked in a staffed garage during the day time.

A goofy concept in my opinion. Blackvues attempt at a new revenue stream.

The hundreds, if not thousands, of Blackvue Cloud users might disagree with you. It definitely has its benefits ...

The hundreds, if not thousands, of Blackvue Cloud users might disagree with you. It definitely has its benefits ...
It would be "interesting" to see the data on how those hundred if not thousands of users in fact use it. "I".. would have been much happier if they devoted that research to providing proper fully functional WiFi.. as in.. the same way my laptop can connect to the rest of my LAN. Then.. the choice of which cloud (or not) "I" chose to use would be mine. That.. would of course deprive Blackvue the revenue stream.. which.. this gimmick is all about.

As far as a revenue stream goes, that's probably more on the B2B side.
It's rare to see people running it in their personal vehicles to pay/need the premium features.
Definitely a lot of potential revenue for wireless carriers though

It would be "interesting" to see the data on how those hundred if not thousands of users in fact use it. "I".. would have been much happier if they devoted that research to providing proper fully functional WiFi.. as in.. the same way my laptop can connect to the rest of my LAN. Then.. the choice of which cloud (or not) "I" chose to use would be mine. That.. would of course deprive Blackvue the revenue stream.. which.. this gimmick is all about.

Gimmick or not, the feature does allow you to monitor what is going on around the vehicle while parked or in motion, as well as the ability to get notifications if the cams have been triggered. Log into the Blackvue Cloud option on the app and you can see real time the hundreds (if not thousands) of users online with the feature activated. Costs aren't always as much of a factor to some people as they are to others...

What are some of the other options, and what are the premium options With the cloud? And what's the cost? I only know about a couple options. Would like to have the option of being able to use it vs not, that's why I'm getting mine updated. In the future I'm sure they be adding more as well.

I use the heck out of the cloud service. It's great to be able to check on my vehicle when I'm at work.

Does Cloud service require cell tower coverage?

Well... yes. It requires *some* kind of internet access... cellular WAN would be the natural choice for connectivity.

I have a mobile wifi access point in my vehicle, but the internet connectivity comes over a cellular connection.

*** edit ***

The blackvue does not connect to the cellular network directly. You can't put a SIM card in your blackvue and add it to your Verizon plan. You need some kind of cellular-capable wireless router to act as the middle-man. The blackvue would connect to the wifi router, and the router would connect to the cell network. Something as simple as a MyFi, or Verizon Jetpack would work fine. Alternatively, something like a Cradlepoint router (which takes a USB cellular dongle) could be used.

Last edited:
Ya, kind of a dumb question. I asked because I'm usually out of cell range and was hoping I could monitor my truck while fishing a couple of miles away.

I guess I'll have to wait for affordable satellite usage.

I guess I'll have to wait for affordable satellite usage.

Not necessarily. How tech-Savvy are you?

Some of the cellular routers allow an external antenna... which can make a MAJOR difference in an area with marginal cellular service.

I find myself in places with no signal to amplify. But that seems to be changing over time.
Also:
I assume the dashcam has a built-in GPS and Cell antenna?

The dashcam has built in GPS, but does NOT have a cell antenna. It only connects to wifi, not the cell network. You need some kind of a "middleware" device to bridge the two types of networks.

Acting as that "bridge" is the job of the cellular/wifi router I mentioned up-thread. Cellular LTE and 802.11x wifi are two entirely different wireless technologies. You need the cellular router (sometimes called a "travel router") to bridge those two modalities.

*** edit ***

Here is a link to a whole series of "mobile hotspot" options that perform exactly the function I was talking about:

http://www.nvtl.com/products/mobile-broadband-solutions/mifi-intelligent-mobile-hotspots/

Last edited:
It absolutely needs the middleware. The blackvue only does wifi, not cellular.

Then what is "over the cloud"? Is the middleware in the Blackvue App?

Yes. Your camera maintains a connection to Blackvue's servers, and your phone app gets the video through blackvue's servers (their "cloud")

You don't attach directly to the camera... blackvue's servers act as the go-between.

My reference to "middleware" wasn't addressing the application layer of the connection.. my reference (perhaps inartfully) was referring only to the lower (e.g. Transport, network, etc layers) on the OSI model

It goes like this away from home, starting from camera-

Camera (via wifi) > Wifi router > Cell phone network > Internet > Blackvue Cloud server > Internet > Cell Phone network > Your Cell phone.

So you must have a wifi router and it much be able to connect to the internet somehow. The mobile wifi gadgets do that through cell phone networks; using a home/friend's/open wifi system takes you direct to the internet but you still need cell service to get it all the way back to your phone.

Phil

Back