Blackvue DR490-2CH & DR490L-2CH Video Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I have been testing both the new Blackvue 490 models, one with the classic cylinder form factor, and one with an LCD screen. The 490L was sent to me by DashCamBros.com and the 490 was sent to me from Blackvue for review. Both use the Starvis image sensor and have the same 1080p30 Front and Rear with the buffered automatic parking mode Blackvue is known for. Whats nice about these is even in parking mode the bitrate front and rear is 11-13 mbps (Blackvue says 11, some of my files were 13) with full 1080p30 front and rear. So you don't lose quality in the parking mode like previous blackvue or thinkware cameras.

Besides the obvious LCD screen on the 490L model, the LCD model has the voltage protection built in so you don't need to buy the power magic pro like the 490 non-LCD model. It comes with the regular cig power cord and the hard wiring cable. For some reason the 490L comes with the installation tool and the 490 doesn't. Overall the 490L seems like the obvious value because when comparing them side by side both had virtually the same video quality. the 490 is of course for people who want a more discrete form factor, while the 490L is for people who really want to ability to watch clips and change settings on the camera itself.

Speaking of settings and watching clips, neither have wifi, so that means if you want to change the settings on the 490 non-LCD model you must insert your memory card into your PC or Mac and use the blackvue software.

The video files on both are saved as one file, so you need the software to also export the front and rear as separate files.

Neither have GPS either, but it is a cheap optional external unit if you want to buy it separate.

With the drawbacks some people might be disappointed, but the price I think is great, about $200-220 for the 16gb bundle including the power magic pro for the 490. I always recommend getting the 16gb bundle and buying a bigger card separate because its cheaper that way. These both support up to 128gb.

Check out the full review below, and remember youtube does degrade the video some:

I recently purchased and installed the dr490l-2ch from dashcambro myself. It's my 1st dash cam and I'm very pleased with it. Install wasn't bad, video quality is great (from my limited experience), the LCD touch screen is easy to use and the ability to replay clips right on the screen is an amazing feature. Changing the settings on the touch screen is also much easier then putting the memory card into my PC.

There is only one issue I can't seem to get around. For some reason around the same time everyday, parking mode clips stop recording. My car sits in an active parking lot at work so I adjusted the sensitivity to react to my specific situation. I also readjusted the storage allocation to allow more parking mode video to be stored on the 32g card I have for it. Even still, the camera will not have any footage after about noon. I know there's still foot traffic and activity in the parking lot through the afternoon into the evening, so why isn't it recording any of that? Any ideas?
Hey everyone,

I have been testing both the new Blackvue 490 models, one with the classic cylinder form factor, and one with an LCD screen. The 490L was sent to me by DashCamBros.com and the 490 was sent to me from Blackvue for review. Both use the Starvis image sensor and have the same 1080p30 Front and Rear with the buffered automatic parking mode Blackvue is known for. Whats nice about these is even in parking mode the bitrate front and rear is 11-13 mbps (Blackvue says 11, some of my files were 13) with full 1080p30 front and rear. So you don't lose quality in the parking mode like previous blackvue or thinkware cameras.

Besides the obvious LCD screen on the 490L model, the LCD model has the voltage protection built in so you don't need to buy the power magic pro like the 490 non-LCD model. It comes with the regular cig power cord and the hard wiring cable. For some reason the 490L comes with the installation tool and the 490 doesn't. Overall the 490L seems like the obvious value because when comparing them side by side both had virtually the same video quality. the 490 is of course for people who want a more discrete form factor, while the 490L is for people who really want to ability to watch clips and change settings on the camera itself.

Speaking of settings and watching clips, neither have wifi, so that means if you want to change the settings on the 490 non-LCD model you must insert your memory card into your PC or Mac and use the blackvue software.

The video files on both are saved as one file, so you need the software to also export the front and rear as separate files.

Neither have GPS either, but it is a cheap optional external unit if you want to buy it separate.

With the drawbacks some people might be disappointed, but the price I think is great, about $200-220 for the 16gb bundle including the power magic pro for the 490. I always recommend getting the 16gb bundle and buying a bigger card separate because its cheaper that way. These both support up to 128gb.

Check out the full review below, and remember youtube does degrade the video some:

I recently purchased and installed the dr490l-2ch from dashcambro myself. It's my 1st dash cam and I'm very pleased with it. Install wasn't bad, video quality is great (from my limited experience), the LCD touch screen is easy to use and the ability to replay clips right on the screen is an amazing feature. Changing the settings on the touch screen is also much easier then putting the memory card into my PC.

There is only one issue I can't seem to get around. For some reason around the same time everyday, parking mode clips stop recording. My car sits in an active parking lot at work so I adjusted the sensitivity to react to my specific situation. I also readjusted the storage allocation to allow more parking mode video to be stored on the 32g card I have for it. Even still, the camera will not have any footage after about noon. I know there's still foot traffic and activity in the parking lot through the afternoon into the evening, so why isn't it recording any of that? Any ideas?
So i assume since it is staying in parking mode for awhile, you are the hardwiring kit connected to your fuse box?

the few settings that could be affecting it could be what voltage it is set to cut off, if your battery is getting too low it will cut power to the camera. Also there is a timer setting so if its set to cut off after 4 hours, maybe 4 hours after you get to work it would cut off then.

Assuming you already know about these settings and changed them, do you live in a cold climate? In the past I had problems with cold weather affecting my cameras. I was using two blackvue 2 channel systems tho so I was putting too much demand on a small cars battery, but its also possible your battery might be going bad. When I tested the 490 they did not show the voltage in the parking video, but some like thinkware do. I noticed my battery is about 12.7-12.9v while I am in parking mode. i have it set to cut off at flat 12.0v. Some people think thats too low but I keep a battery jump starter with me if I ever need it, never have tho.

So i assume since it is staying in parking mode for awhile, you are the hardwiring kit connected to your fuse box?

the few settings that could be affecting it could be what voltage it is set to cut off, if your battery is getting too low it will cut power to the camera. Also there is a timer setting so if its set to cut off after 4 hours, maybe 4 hours after you get to work it would cut off then.

Assuming you already know about these settings and changed them, do you live in a cold climate? In the past I had problems with cold weather affecting my cameras. I was using two blackvue 2 channel systems tho so I was putting too much demand on a small cars battery, but its also possible your battery might be going bad. When I tested the 490 they did not show the voltage in the parking video, but some like thinkware do. I noticed my battery is about 12.7-12.9v while I am in parking mode. i have it set to cut off at flat 12.0v. Some people think thats too low but I keep a battery jump starter with me if I ever need it, never have tho.

Yes, it is hardwired to my fuse box via the hardwire harness that comes with the dr490l. It works perfectly, just not for long enough. From what I've looked through/seen there is no timer setting? The only timer setting on my cam is for the screen to stay on for a certain amount of time. The battery cutoff is set and hasn't drained my battery so I'm under the impression it's working fine. Could my battery possible lose enough voltage around the same time daily? I am in northern NJ, so yes the cold is here! My car is also newer (2016 Wrx) so I don't think it's the battery? I'm at a loss for what's going on...

I am more inclined to think the fuse you have tapped into are only live for a certain time after key off, this are pretty normal with a lot of new cars.

I used an accessory fuse and the door lock fuse. The door lock fuse should remain on fulltime no?

Back