Blackvue DR490L 2C issues

Chokwol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an issue with the DR490 L 2C with regards to the car getting issues with the stop/start function ..
Installed in a brand new golf gtd .. installation all correct but for some reason it's caused the car to misbehave

Is there a correct voltage cut off point on the screen settings anyone knows about that could be wrong

Hardly think it should do that I have 2 cameras hardwired into a Passat and doesnt interfere with anything How is it wired in and who did it. More likely an install error

Wired in correctly checked and checked again by VW engineer ....they are pointing the finger firmly on the Cam ...the battery has been tested overnight without the cam in operation...it really has been tested to the extreme.....IM now in the process of exchanging the cam to see if its a fault which I'll know more when that particular one is in operation
Only thing I can say it is in Parking Mode a hell of a lot of time on occasions, would that play a part?
During the day at work and during the night !!

This problem really isn't showing up on any searches so it really is a mystery to all involved
The car in question was brand new with zero mileage when the Cam was fitted
Started to rev quite high after the first month which I found out was due to it needing to find extra power to work the stop/start function ...which led to us being where we are now ....but it's 100% caused by this particular Dashcam....I have tried to contact Blackvue Suppliers on the matter but as I did not make my purchase with them they refuse any Technical Support which I was horrified with ....but the cam was purchased through a reputable source so I have zero reason to doubt anything ....

Only thing left for me to doubt is a fault with the Cam or the Leaving of her in parking mode to long ...is this possible please ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I would check the cutoff voltage on the PMP and ensure its not wired back to front . Should be Yellow to always on Red to ACC cutoff should be 12 v which is the minimum on them Also think that the 6 hour minimum is too long as well I use an older plain PM which is much more adjustable Are they absolutely sure its wired correctly as VW are fussy and have circuits that you think turn off and dont I had to search carefully to install mine in a Passat and a Polo Easiest way is just turn the PMP off and see what happens

Yes everything wired in correctly checked with independent VW verified Fitter everything is correct

The dr490L has the power Voltage incorporated into the Dashcam so the PMP has no usage ...not possible to have the Power Magic Pro installed with this device...BV firmly state this

The fault certainly isn't with the Cam as this has been changed ...

Cut off set to 12v ....

The car battery is pulling anywhere between 20 and 40 amp the instant the cam is plugged in ....as shown on the touch screen ...this then relays to the engine consumption being high thus disabling the stop/start function

I've had it checked and double checked and VW are saying it's the Cam ...it's like the Car is saying I don't want you connected ...

If the camera was really pulling 20A, it'd spontaneously combust. That's probably about 40 times the amount of power it's *really* drawing. If the tech is telling you that merely plugging in the camera causes the on-board computer to claim a 20A draw, then the computer is getting confused.
Since we know it can't possibly be 20A to the camera itself, the more likely culprit is that the method used by the computer to determine current draw is being confused by something. I'd have a few theories, but without knowing some technical specifics of exactly how it does that (measuring current is not as straightforward as you'd expect), it's hard to say for sure.
Sorry if you've mentioned this before and I'm not seeing it on rescanning the thread, but exactly where is your camera's 12V hookup being done. I assume you didn't run a line direct to the battery, so you're tapping into a fuse? Have other fuses been tried? If you temporarily run the line direct to battery rather than a fuse tap, does the problem go away? If it does, you need to find a better power tap. If it doesn't, then the next logical suspect is what you're grounding to (which possibly isn't true ground).

You're probably better off finding somebody with more expertise in car electronics, or electronics in general, and not relying on a car mechanic. This problem is well beyond the scope of what you should expect a car mechanic to know (no disrespect, but isn't a "car" problem). If you have friends with electronics expertise, start there. If not, since a higher-end car electronics shop and go talk to them.

Brad.

As said, if the cam really pulled 20-40A the instant it got connected, the first thing that would end up in smoke, is....... the cam itself. Next following a lot of cabling, and probably some arching before fusebox giving up, if connected to here and not directly to BAT+.

Who did the install, you or "the serviceman"?
Where is the camera connected to - fusebox / direct to battery?
What fuse is being used if connected to fusebox?
Finally; did you meter the powerdraw of the camera when connected?

Excuse my ignorance jeez123 and thankyou for your input but could you elaborate on the Meter of the Powerdraw of the Camera please??
When I initially took the car back to VW they instantly checked the battery and said something is pulling 20A from somewhere and pointed the finger at the Dashcam
When I turn the Cam on after initially being off for a day ...I can view the battery voltage on the touch screen of the Dashcam...it's only then I can see what the battery is doing ....

Fitter at VW installed the Dashcam and No it's not connected directly to the battery ...but to the correct fuse .....so im being told ..I have to take there word as gospel but I will check with them

I think he means was it measured directly at the camera, no camera is going to draw 20A, something else is going on there

Yes...well the dr490L does show the Battery consumption on the touch screen... Turn on the ignition....power up the cam and it will give you the Voltage of the Car battery from stationary...so example it will show 14.4vV .....in 15 seconds you can physically watch it go down to 12.6V .....

Yes...well the dr490L does show the Battery consumption on the touch screen... Turn on the ignition....power up the cam and it will give you the Voltage of the Car battery from stationary...so example it will show 14.4vV .....in 15 seconds you can physically watch it go down to 12.6V .....

are you doing this with the car running or off?

Yeah car is running

Car battery is up to 14v ....pull up to a set of traffic lights where stationary for 20 seconds and watch the consumption go down to as much as 12.4 V in the small amount of time..

It sounds crazy I know ....icant work it out ....

the camera can't draw that much current, what you may find though is that in a lot of these late model German cars the circuits are computer controlled, if the computer detects a load that it knows shouldn't be there it can manipulate the circuit even to the point of turning it off if it detects a parasitic load that doesn't belong, once below a certain voltage the stop/start function is disabled

moving the power for the camera to a different circuit may be ok, might be a bit of trial and error to work it out though

Thanks for that joklin ... certainly sounds like a very logical explanation and one I'll put to VW ....so basically find a different Permanent Fuse ?

it may need to wired to a different circuit, if the tech concludes that the camera is drawing 20 amps he's not very clued up, godspeed :p

Bloody hell if thats right I had better buy a big Fire extinghuisher as I have two full cameras in my VW

Also VOLTS is not power consumption the camera draws AMPS The volts will go up and down as the engine use changes and the alternator isnt putting out as much.
The thing is definitely wired incorrectly as both my VW's have cameras in them and have no troubles with stopstart at all He has it wired to the wrong circuit. In my VW's there are spare fuse slots with power on one side and that is what I hook mine into using Addafuses and not just stuffing wires down the sides of fuses See fire extinquisher section.
I use 2 amp fuses and havent blown one yet Also the ciggy plugs have 2 amp fuses in them so dont know where he gets 20 from Impossible as the fuses would smoke up instantly

I did a test last evening on my Audi A4 (no Start/stop but nonetheless...) B6.

It has a fuse for ECU powercontrol and something to do with the ECU itself. Couldn't find a diagram on this model online, so take it for what it's worth, however...

If i powered my Blackvue DR650S-2CH over this specific fuse for the ECU powercontrolling, the battery power would be dumped, almost instantly. The ECU seems to "signal" that "something is going on, i need power." So it instantly went from 0.1A (running idle) to almost 20A (19.6A) (fusecircuit max. amperage)

I believe your camera is hooked into a system critical fuse, that's not intended to be connected to that.
Try using radio or wipers, maybe indeed if installed, the heated seats (that fuse will be an always-on fuse).

Be sure not to choose something critical; Airbags, brakes, horn, blinkers, safety equipment like ABS, ESP, specific sensor-equipment for laneassist and so on.. Radio would be fine, wipers should be fine, if you got a fuse-socket for compartment-lightning, door-lightning or even 12V socket fuse, use them, and do a trial&error search.

No neither Technician is saying the Cam is pulling the amps...only what is showing on the touchscreen...IM seeing the amps dropping when the car comes to a halt ...this then disables the stop/start function

Certainly not saying the camera is pulling the amps that I know isn't possible...

It's just because the touchscreen has the cut of voltage incorporated im able to see what the battery is doing....

Both fuses from the switched and permanent are going into spare fuses so NO stuffing down of wires...

I did set the cut of voltage to 11.8 and it turned off almost immediately after turning of the ignition.....set to 12.2 and the cam stays ON .....

Next to try from Blackvue Rep is to gotge power supply next to the OBD Port.....On Board Diagnosistic

Thanks for all your input I have taken everything on board and passed it on to VW .....

Car went back to VW they gave it to there "Top Technical Department" on the request of VW UK ...They said the problems with the Stop/Start Function is 100% the Dashcam...The Car has to many intricate electronics that the car just won't accept the Dashcam.. personally I think it's bull**** but they done all the testing on her and said this is the reason...yes the Cam was wired correctly!! They say the fact we use it in Carpark Mode that the intricate electronics of the car ie Stop/Start. Electronic Handbrake that it's causing these problems....my argument several months ago we disconnected the Cam for a week and still had the problems.....But they say 100% it's the cam.....we could disarm the auto hold they say ...that woukd eradicate that issue...but we still get the " Power Consumption is High" come up on the screen when it does this causes the Stop Start to fail.......so we have to accept this or we try another cam at great expense and maybe still have the same problems ....

Back