BlackVue DR500 vs. FineVu CR500

CarlDK

Reaction score
Hey, guys! First post here so I guess I'll give a bit of backstory. I've been a victim too many times of being rear-ended, and every single time they've attempted to blame it on me saying that I brake-checked them, I stopped suddenly, etc. My mom was also a victim of a hit and run where she couldn't get out of the vehicle after being rear-ended and so the vehicle just drove away. All these times, it might have been very helpful to have dashcams to capture what happened prior to accidents and also to capture license plates. Just recently we found out about Dash cams and how pretty common they are. I'm still unsure about whether or not they're legal in New Jersey, USA, but I'm sure they are.
Anyway, I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to buy a dashcam, I may as well buy one that I won't regret. So I decided to either buy a BlackVue DR500 or a FineVu CR500. I was leaning towards the BlackVue since it had Wi-Fi and GPS, along with a much wider view angle than the FineVu. Unfortunately, according to YouTube reviews (BlackBoxMyCar), the WiFi is pretty much useless since you need to be within 10 meters of the car, and as for the GPS, it is a bit wonky because it doesn't measure your exact speed at the current moment. I mean, I could live without the WiFi since it's not that necessary, but for GPS, I feel like it kind of would be, no?
On the other hand, I found the video on FineVu to be much better (daylight and night). I was able to read license plates much more clearly than in the BlackVue, especially at night. However, it seems that the FineVu would be more noticeable than the BlackVue camera, and I do not want that to happen. So basically, I'm kind of stuck here. I've been pondering for a good month now and lurking on the forums. Can you guys help me? Thanks!

Also, on a side note, why is there a record button on the FineVu? Isn't it recording at all times?

Personally don't think the Blackview are that good, FineVu has the quality but it's not discrete, have you looked at the Itronics product?

I have owned both cameras and I recommend the FineVu, quality from the video footage is much better including lens view angle. I was unable to see registration plates with blackvue. I'll be selling my Finevu if you want it, also has CPL lens..

Back