Blackvue DR500GW cannot read plates?

vbx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen reviews for this exact dash cam where the license plate were clear. However, on my cam, it's blurry than a mofo. Is it due to the glare from the windshield?

My compression setting for the cam is at high. I just changed it to low and will do another test later.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
setting compression to low will improve things, many people have resorted to a hacked firmware to get the kind of results it should have always had, there's a thread on that here where you can read about it

vbx said:
I've seen reviews for this exact dash cam where the license plate were clear. However, on my cam, it's blurry than a mofo. Is it due to the glare from the windshield?

My compression setting for the cam is at high. I just changed it to low and will do another test later.

Any suggestions?

Reflections on windscreen are causing that Reposition it closed to the glass or put a polarizing filter on it Read the thread about that

Not the cameras fault

Here is me driving North, opposite direction of the sun. All settings are the same as it was taken at the same day as the first vid.

A lot less glare. Still unable to read the plates. Is there a way to adjust the "zoom" maybe? But yeah, I'll test the cam again with the compression set to normal and see if that helps.

Not sure how I can put the camera closer to the glass, as the mount defaults the position and cannot be adjusted.

edit: Okay the review I saw was in the UK and their plates are a lot bigger than the plates in the US. So that could be the reason.

looks like a standard firmware crap quality settings.
upgrade to the 1.1.1a custom, huge improvements in image quality.

vbx said:
Here is me driving North, opposite direction of the sun. All settings are the same as it was taken at the same day as the first vid.

A lot less glare. Still unable to read the plates. Is there a way to adjust the "zoom" maybe? But yeah, I'll test the cam again with the compression set to normal and see if that helps.

Not sure how I can put the camera closer to the glass, as the mount defaults the position and cannot be adjusted.

edit: Okay the review I saw was in the UK and their plates are a lot bigger than the plates in the US. So that could be the reason.

Just because you cant see them in the viewer doesnt mean you cant ever see them When viewing click on the full screen logo in the bottom left and you should be able to read them.

You only need to if there is a problem anyway Youtube dumbs it down to a lesser resolution anyway.

I never use compression and can read the plates if I pause the video.

Why do you really need to read them in the video. THe idea of these cameras is to record "Events" which you may need for evidence later.

I never bother to look at mine unless i have a definite need to as in something happens that may need further investigation.

I took my DR400 to the USA and it had no trouble reading plates along the way. The 500 with its wider angle makes thing look a bit further away but still has as good a resolution as the 400.

Your problem is with reflection and a polarizing filter will fix that

My cheap Lukas has glare and can still read plates pretty well. You always seem to be defending BlackVue.. :lol:

jamesbcd said:
My cheap Lukas has glare and can still read plates pretty well. You always seem to be defending BlackVue.. :lol:

It is quite plain in his video that the reflections in the screen are obscuring the plates on the cars out to the edge of the screen.

Why should I not support camera that does all I want it to. Nothing is perfect but i have installed 6 Blackvue cameras of various models and havent had any trouble with any.

Good enough for me and those who have the others I have put in.

Each to their own If you are happy with hours fine I am not knocking yours am I.

His glare is pretty bad yes.

But whenever anyone mentions anything bad, your go to quote will be I have installed 6 cameras and they are all fine so I don't know why your having trouble.. :oops:

vbx said:

This looks like out of focus to me. :?: :?: :?:

M-Element said:

Yep, glare had nothing to do with it on this one. I did a couple of test run after changing my compression to normal. Plates are still out of focus unless and am really, really close to the bumper.

xuz.png

8g5.png

This thing also gets hot quick. Not sure why. I can use my regular cheap Samsung NV-30 camera has a dash cam, and it doesn't get no where as hot and I get better video quality.

vbx said:
M-Element said:

Yep, glare had nothing to do with it on this one. I did a couple of test run after changing my compression to normal. Plates are still out of focus unless and am really, really close to the bumper.

xuz.png

8g5.png

This thing also gets hot quick. Not sure why. I can use my regular cheap Samsung NV-30 camera has a dash cam, and it doesn't get no where as hot and I get better video quality.

They get hot if the bitrate is up high apparently

vbx said:
M-Element said:

the lens is fixed focus, as long as you are within the distance to which the focus is set you'll read plates, your focus is set closer than what's probably ideal, the focus is something which is adjusted manually in the factory, there's an element of human error involved which will determine the outcome

Your dashcam is focused on your dashboard (^^). It must be focused to the street and not to your car.

Maybe the lens is not configured correctly. (thats also what jokiin said)

dashuser said:
Your dashcam is focused on your dashboard (^^). It must be focused to the street and not to your car.

Maybe the lens is not configured correctly. (thats also what jokiin said)

Ok, I'll adjust the camera up a little and see if that helps. Thanks

Hm, maybe this is a bit misstakeable.

Here for example you can see the wreath from the lens.
http://www.wildflieger-muenchen.de/imag ... s-d-01.jpg
The producer have to fit the lens EXACLTY in the right position. A little too much or too less and everything is blurred. When its in the correct position, they put a little glue on it to fix it.
This lens above is very cheap but I think basically its the same.

MAYBE your lens was misplaced and due tu that i have that bad image.

You can try to make a video outside of the car. (With no windshields and anything like that.)
If the image is still blurred I would contact your seller for exchange.

Blackvue DR500GW HD Cam vs my Galaxy Tab 7.7. I'm guessing due to the "wideview lens", that everything has to be out of focus.

Screenshot of the recorded video playing on VLC. The dashcam is installed right behind the rear view mirror. The galaxy tab 7.7 video was taken from the driver seat.

p76r.jpg

I have both a 400 and a 500 The vehicles look much closer and the plates are easier to read in the 400 than the 500 which gives a wide angle view which always makes stuff look further away.

Whilst the 500 has better features the video is better in the 400 IMHO

Hillbilly said:
I have both a 400 and a 500 The vehicles look much closer and the plates are easier to read in the 400 than the 500 which gives a wide angle view which always makes stuff look further away.

Whilst the 500 has better features the video is better in the 400 IMHO

Thanks, so nothing wrong with the dash cam. Just the way it is.

Here are views from the 3 cameras I use They are all quite a bit different as you can see

This is the DR 350 in the rear of my Passat Wagon mounted under the roof about 5 inches back from the glass

This is the 400 mounted in front of the rearview mirror

This is the 500 on the same mounting position

Back