Blackvue DR500GW-HD Conficker.B Worm

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have read in a few places now that some of the SD cards that came shipped with the BlackVue DR500GW-HD camera have the Conficker.B worm on it. Might be worth it to scan the card with a decent anti-virus / malware program.

Yes I can confirm this. I was "lucky" enough to receive one for the Pittasoft 16GB infected cards.
Re-formatted the card, and hope it is OK now.

Yes i received one with the worm too luckily my Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus quarantined it.

It was only autorun.inf according to my history of quarantined items.

Does this mean every time we format the SD card the firmware will put the virus back? I hope it's not in the firmware? I hope they remove it on their next firmware release.

Autorun huh? The one that came with mine had that on it as well. I am not using the one that came with it. I formatted a 32gb card and the Autorun is not on it.

I have Linux on all my computers so I don't have to worry. Unfortunately the windows software doesn't work 100% under Linux yet. Hope they will fix it.

I bought a DR500GW-HD last week 2-5-13, and as soon as I put the disk in my computer, Norton AV indicated the card had the Conficker.B Worm, also in the autorun. Norton quarantined then removed the autorun file. Now when I format the card using the camera, the card is clean, no worm detected.

wtf? why is this company sending its paying customers virus'?

I purchased a Sandisk 32GB card along with the Blackvue 500gw from Amazon. Can I just pop the Sandisk immediately in the Blackvue and not have to deal with the Pittasoft card?

dasher said:
I purchased a Sandisk 32GB card along with the Blackvue 500gw from Amazon. Can I just pop the Sandisk immediately in the Blackvue and not have to deal with the Pittasoft card?

In a word YES

Only the config files and the viewer are on the card

Virus?!? How is a reputable company putting a virus into an SD Card? You guys sure it's a virus?

I just got my two BlackVue 500's and I did not see any viruses on the memory cards. This is what I found in pictures from my Mac.

The first picture is the info for the card.
The second picture is after Norton scanned the card.
The third picture is before the scan.
No virus.

I do not know what you guys are talking about when you say that you are getting a virus. Your computer might have been infected before you got the camera. Or, the person who sold you the camera was trying to hack your computer. I purchased my two BlackVue from Amazon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.53.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.53.53 AM.png
    724 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.53.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.53.32 AM.png
    713.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.55.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.55.43 AM.png
    495 KB · Views: 206
And just for giggles, here is a picture of the max read and write of the memory card. Not bad performance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.55.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.55.16 AM.png
    585.3 KB · Views: 206
Just so that I am not making this up, here is the proof that it is the Blackvue memory card and camera. Again, I think some of the memory cards may have been mistaken by your antivirus or maybe the person you purchased it from may have tried to infect your PC. This is why I try and stick to buying from reputable sellers on reputable sites like Amazon.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 202
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 202
AmericanDriver said:
I just got my two BlackVue 500's and I did not see any viruses on the memory cards. This is what I found in pictures from my Mac.

Would your Mac pick up a Windows virus anyway?

If anything I would suspect that it was a false positive

I do not know if my Mac would be infected from this mythilogical virus. Norton Antivirus should have found the virus no matter if I own a Mac or PC, if there were a virus on the card. I do not see anything on the card.

AmericanDriver said:
Again, I think some of the memory cards may have been mistaken by your antivirus or maybe the person you purchased it from may have tried to infect your PC. This is why I try and stick to buying from reputable sellers on reputable sites like Amazon.

I bought mine from Pittasoft`s authorized UK dealer. Package received unopened and untouched. With virus on memory card.

Probably just one of their computers for copying the setting and folders to the cards. Just simply insert the card into the cam and hold the button for 10 sec to let the cam to format the card. Mine doesn't have autorun.inf before or after formatting.

DNA1010 said:
Probably just one of their computers for copying the setting and folders to the cards.

I doubt about it. Memory card comes blank, after inserting the card into Blackvue, device performs initialization and settings and software will be copied to card from device`s flash memory.
Itś really weird, why the virus from stone age that every antivir program can disable without any problem?

It`s like a Byelorussian virus sent by email: "Dear sir! As we cannot afford development of our virus, can you please delete some files from your computer for us?" :lol:

I order my DR500 from a korean seller and i request 32GB microSD card. When i received the parcel, the seller actually give me samsung class 10 32GB. When i plug into my laptop for setting up the firmware. There are no virus alert?

Back