Blackvue DR500GW-HD - downloading via FTP and more!

wizy

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've just got by Blackvue 500 setup. Having read the previous posts, it seems we can indeed telnet to the unit which opens up a lot of possibilities.... I have an idea that I'm working on...

So, I have a NAS box which I use to store and back up my personal file. I've managed to add Blackvue to my network. I did this by setting up an old wifi access point I had as a WIFI client (Blackvue being the wifi AP) and adding routing from my LAN 192.168.0.x 192.168.8.x subnet.

What this means is that now I can telnet to Blackvue from my main PC and at the same time access all my other PC/internet etc.

If you try to http://192.168.8.1, it gives live streams!! => you can play the files and stream via your webbrowser/media player, but it seems the subnet is 192.168.10.x for the actual streams. So, I'm still trying to get this to work.

What I'm also trying to do is to ftp the files from Blackvue to my PC... not getting anywhere as even though ftp server seems to be up (checked via netstat -a), I can't connect to it.

Also, if you connect your laptop to Blackvue and go to http://192.168.8.1/blackvue_live.cgi, you can view the live feed via webbroser

PS: I'm not an expert, just googling along! I'm sure someone with a bit more Unix knowledge can pitch in...

Attachments

• http.png
    http.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,535
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work wizy. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info, that's great! Would love to be able to do my own firmware build for this camera. If Pittasoft is cool they would let us do that. I would like to add SSH server capability and other features. I would also like to do my own version of the Android app because their app isn't working on my phone (Cyanogenmod!).

Edited: I just tried to install the Blackvue control software. It almost ran! I was running it under Wine 1.5. It installs ok and runs ok, but doesn't detect the SD card and crashed when I tried to play a video. I hope the Pittasoft engineers will fix this.

I did notice that the config file is easy to edit in any text editor so I can probably skip the control software if I don't want to use it.

Cruising around:

Parked:

I'll do a proper review later. I also obviously need to adjust the position (rotate it up).

Attachments

• sample-2.jpg
    sample-2.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • sample-image.jpg
    sample-image.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,426
By the way, anyone looking at those two images I posted will think they are blurry and think there is something wrong with the cam. This is not the case. The camera records in a compressed video format. When I take the screen capture, it's a PNG which is a lossless copy of the lossy compressed video. It looks very clear, but the PNG is too big, so I need to convert that to a JPEG to post it. That means I'm taking a lossy compression of a lossy compression, and that's why those JPEGs are blurry.

I'll post a full review later on.

Hi,
I also own DR500GW-HD and would like to make it more user-friendly. My idea is that my server will connect automatically to it and download newest files as soon as I will come to garage.
I will try to find this solution and share it here, but I already faced the first problem - I don't know the password for telnet. I suppose that the user is root, but I don't know what the password is.
Can you please share it with me.

blazko said:
Hi,
I also own DR500GW-HD and would like to make it more user-friendly. My idea is that my server will connect automatically to it and download newest files as soon as I will come to garage.
I will try to find this solution and share it here, but I already faced the first problem - I don't know the password for telnet. I suppose that the user is root, but I don't know what the password is.
Can you please share it with me.

password is pt

Was linked to two post above yours

I don't have any problems with FTP connection. I just entered "ftp://192.168.8.1/BlackVue/Record/" into my explorer and I was connected without username and password. Also the download is working.
Tomorrow I will create a linux cronjob for my home-server, which is running 24/7 and it will check if the DR500GW is pingable on every 10 minutes. If it is, that it will connect to it and download all new files via ftp to my 1TB external hard drive

Attachments

• ftp.jpg
    ftp.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,263
I got the 1.31 Android app installed on my Nook Color.

IT IS AWESOME! It's a $100 tablet that runs it very well!

I'll post a review of all this once I have a chance to.

OK so I have the Blackvue DR500GW-HD. Just got it in fact. I created a wifi extender to pull the cameras wifi into my house and onto my home wired network. Easy. but I have found out that I am unable to FTP into the camera even without the wifi extender active. I can get the camera to log into my security system and send video at 11fps. its pretty consistant. and I can access the camera start page from my ie on my wired computer. However I am unable to get it to download or view the camera. all I can do is look at the live feed through my ISpy security system. I have tried Ftp://192.168.8.1/Blackvue/Record/ with the user root and password pt. It gives me exit code 127 from file zilla. not too sure where to go from here. Any advise? Yes I have shut down the wifi extender and tried the same access from my laptop... Same results.2014-06-22_16-02-46_217.jpg

Back