Blackvue DR500GW-HD Park Mode Query

Estoril Sport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S 2CH
I think I have an issue with the parking mode, or at least on how the garage has wired it up the PowerMagic Pro.

I found if I drive the car and then leave the car (locked) the DR500GW goes it to park mode (green light on PowerMagic Pro remains on), however if I return to the car and open a door (without turning on the engine) then the DR500GW shuts its self down. (Note the green light on PowerMagic Pro goes out and no LED lite on DR500GW).

Alternatively If I return to the car and drive away the DR500GW the Park mode remain on for a minute or so shuts then shuts its self down and then powers again normal mode?

However for a few minutes between powering down from Park mode and restarting in normal mode I am driving but not recording.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Ok here goes Mine is wired slightly different as I have two cameras running off the one fuse.

The front camera is spliced into the wire from ACC to the Power Magic and turns on and off with the ignition as it should
The rear camera is controlled by the Power magic.

It turns on with the ignition and 10 mins after the car stops or the ign is turned off and there is no movement it goes into parking mode for 1 hour then shuts down completely.
The voltage cutout is set at 12v
So the Power magic should be wired like this

Yellow wire to ALWAYS ON as in permanent power.

Red wire to Accessory Feed which turns off with Ignition. Black to Earth.

The best way is to either find spare fuse sockets and put a fuse with a wire soldered to it or Google ADDA FUSE and use them on a circuit that is non essential Like interior lights or similar DO NOT USE ECU OR AIRBAG CIRCUITS.

When I restart the car within the hour the camera in park mode says 'Resuming normal recording" shortly after turning Ign on.

That as far as I know is how they should work.

I have ALL the LEDs OFF so it doesn't blink and show itself ever.

You don't really need a PM Pro an ordinary one does the job and you have paid $15 or so extra for a $3 switch that you can add yourself as I did. It sounds like yours is wired incorrectly into a locking circuit or similar

Most of our cars have cameras in with Power Magic Pro and they all behave differently depending on the car.

For example, one of our Audi A3s really doesn't get on with any extra draw on the lines so in the morning you will come back to a warning in the DIS. No big problem, battery is fine.
One of the Audi A6s behaves like yours. You could unlock your car in the middle of the night and hear the camera shutting down. Now this A6 is a big beast it has a lot of circuits and modules that fire up on unlock to get the car ready to drive. You then have all the lights (Interior and exterior) powering on. Now the PMP is designed to cut power when it sees low voltage but imagine all of that all coming on at the same time. It's going to create a spike that the PMP will think s*** I need to shut down quick. They aren't very clever.

That being said, it was parked up at an airport last year and was still on a week later. Big battery and no circuits coming live for a week apart from the odd alarm pulse to check over the car.

BMW's are particularly annoying because of IBS (Intelligent Battery System) - If they detect a surge or extra power being demanded from a system that shouldn't require it, it will power it down for safety and sometimes throw a warning on the DIS.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Last edited:
The Power Magic Pro was fitted by my local BMW dealership they were also concerned with the BMW (Intelligent Battery System as per B20RRL statement) that if this does detected the power drain from the PMP then the cars electrical systems would be on all the time and not power down thus making the power drain 10x worse and flagging up multiple electrical errors. Knowing that the Parking mode does work in certain conditions are met I can live with, its better than not having it.

Last edited:
Yup my Audi S4 will run for days using the Power Magic Pro set to infinity but if I open a door to get something out of the car then lock it again the Power Magic Pro shuts down. It acts as though you have to restart the car after unlocking and locking again for some stupid reason. I have a great battery so I don't think the drain on it by unlocking the door would drop the voltage to my 11.7 volt setting but to be sure I will check that next time.

Let's keep this going.

Connect the PM direct to the battery herby bypassing all the fancy stuff

Mines does the same thing, on occasion. I don't have the heftiest battery in my car. During the summer it was ok, acted as expected. As the weather got cooler and I left the car in the parking lot for a shift at work or the driveway over night, I would see the Power Magic Pro providing power, but as soon as I opened the door and the interior lights turned on, the Power Magic Pro cut power, I am assuming because the battery reached 11.8V and the BV shut down. If the weather is a little warmer, this does not always happen, so I think the Power Magic Pro is doing what it was designed to do.

It also takes a few minutes for the BV to discover that you are moving again ... I think it detects the movement from the gps and not the power connections.

Good point Hillbilly and that is the way I have mine wired however the red ACC wire still goes to the fuse box. Since the yellow BATT wire is fed from the battery that is a no brainer. There is something that occurs through the red ACC wire when a car has the doors unlocked, then locked again without starting the car that powers down the PMP. Although the red ACC wire is hooked to a fuse that only has power when the ignition is turned on or the car is running something else occurs on that same fuse when the car is unlocked, then locked without starting the car. I have tried several fuses all of which only supply power when the ignition is on or the car is running. One of these days I will figure it out then share with you guys.

I am not sure if this will help at least on a BMW as the Intelligent Battery System can detect power drain so I have been told by the BMW technicians. Its interesting that I am not alone on this issue. I think that Chris may have a point regarding the battery if its not full charged I know my battery is 4 yours old and most of my recent journeys are under 1o miles so I am taking out more than I put in!

Will trickle charge the battery to see if this helps!

Mines does the same thing, on occasion. I don't have the heftiest battery in my car. During the summer it was ok, acted as expected. As the weather got cooler and I left the car in the parking lot for a shift at work or the driveway over night, I would see the Power Magic Pro providing power, but as soon as I opened the door and the interior lights turned on, the Power Magic Pro cut power, I am assuming because the battery reached 11.8V and the BV shut down. If the weather is a little warmer, this does not always happen, so I think the Power Magic Pro is doing what it was designed to do.

It also takes a few minutes for the BV to discover that you are moving again ... I think it detects the movement from the gps and not the power connections.

It detects Power on the other circuit and movement from the G sensors as it does when there is no movement for 10 mins when it goes into Park mode

Last edited:
so how do you get it to start recording when the car starts up because mine starts recording after i drive for about 2 mins abnd it says parking mode disabled..........i use this device and it seems liker its wired properly as the camera is permenantly live and on http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/smart_power.php

Jonpickels ....

If you have motion sensor turned on, it will record when you start moving. It will detect that the scenery changed in the view and save that video as a parking mode video. It will kick into normal mode once the GPS detected the car moved, and that could take a minute or two.

mine doesnt and i have motion sensor on.....i think

Image setting Resolution Full HD the top one

Image quality Highest

Brightness 75%

Right hand side Normal record ON

Voice record ON (your choice)

Date & Time ON

Record time normal 3mins

Event/ Parking 1 min

Record Storage setting. Time

Auto switch to parking ON

2nd page Sensitivity

Top 3 about 30%

Parking mode about the same

Motion detection 1%

mine doesnt and i have motion sensor on.....i think

Image setting Resolution Full HD the top one

Image quality Highest

Brightness 75%

Right hand side Normal record ON

Voice record ON (your choice)

Date & Time ON

Record time normal 3mins

Event/ Parking 1 min

Record Storage setting. Time

Auto switch to parking ON

2nd page Sensitivity

Top 3 about 30%

Motion detection 1%

These are the ones that matter.

Look at the headings above each

2nd page Sensitivity
Top 3 about 30%
Motion detection 1%[/quote]

IF you look in the top R?H side of the viewer you will see 3 wiggly lines going along as the video plays.

They are the sensitivity of the detectors

A read of the manual wouldn't hurt Its in there

Back