Blackvue DR550GW Timezone set to london but its still in british summer time?

The chap who wrote custom firmware for the 550, said that manufacturer's timezone settings were a complete mess, and he copied entire timezone setup for his version from the latest Ubuntu distro. Consequently, it works perfectly - his and many others' 550s went through time change without a hitch. I'm waiting for a further advice from him as to your situation, but if I had a 550, I'd definitely go with that custom firmware - extra features, higher bitrate, stable, etc, etc. As I understand it, it's not just a patch, like the one they had for 400-II (which I am using and it's great), but a full-blown, completely re-written version - basically, a newly compiled Linux OS for the cam.

The only thing I am worried about installing the custom firmware is that the camera is under the UK guarantee and it will probably be imposable to revert it back to the original settings there for if it does pack in I am £300 down with a black very expensive paper weight.

We all know it's a bit of a ball ache but lets give Pittasoft the benefit of the doubt to rectify the problem... No point messing about with the firmware just yet until the dudes in Russia have made their own custom stuff!

The chap who wrote custom firmware for the 550, said that manufacturer's timezone settings were a complete mess, and he copied entire timezone setup for his version from the latest Ubuntu distro. Consequently, it works perfectly - his and many others' 550s went through time change without a hitch. I'm waiting for a further advice from him as to your situation, but if I had a 550, I'd definitely go with that custom firmware - extra features, higher bitrate, stable, etc, etc. As I understand it, it's not just a patch, like the one they had for 400-II (which I am using and it's great), but a full-blown, completely re-written version - basically, a newly compiled Linux OS for the cam.

Dave, which custom firmware is this and who is the chap that wrote it?
I know the guys from the russian forum were working on a version of their custom firmware for the DR550, is this the same thing or something different?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's the guys. I was talking to Mikhail ( Mio ) - he was extremely helpful in sorting out Cju problem with lost voice prompts after firmware upgrade - DR400G-HD II to DR500GW upgrade ?
As my dashcams are [still] the 400-II, I'm not that up-to-date with 550's firmware development, and was under impression they already have one out - I've seen something about beta testing and feedback on the russian forum ... my apologies - it was somewhat premature :rolleyes: - just went through all three pages here: http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=267.msg7463 and it's not available yet.
Ah ok .. that explains it then.. I guess we'll have to wait for a fix from pittasoft then or the new custom firmware from mio.. if it's released soon :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well everyone a new update announced supposedly.

got a message today saying Firmware v1.017 is out.

Message from Blackvue UK
Whats New.
1 adjusted Microphone Volume
2 Video Optimisation
3 Other Bug Fixes.

Dont know if this includes the time but I am sure we will find out in due course.

I posted in the firmware thread about this... doesn't seem like it has changed.
I had about 10 mins of GPS connection - how long would it take to filter in?

I posted in the firmware thread about this... doesn't seem like it has changed.
I had about 10 mins of GPS connection - how long would it take to filter in?
Yes Just read it lol

Well it looks like the Rushed out Firmware 1.017 E has not got the time fix in as some people have now said Not Fixed time zone.

Not sure how much Pittasoft are listening to the customers this is going to be a pain

They need to get the Russians in to sort them out. Or we could send them a custom firmware and say Create a camera with this software and they will sell better.
LOL Russians are good at fixing things so I hear.

I have just left there DR550GW a honest but damming review on Amazon. and I am not taking it off until they sort it.

Last edited:
Hi all

I have recently bought and installed a DR550 and at the moment very disappointed. I upgraded (or down) from the 400 and had no problems at all with it.

I'm on ver 1.010, advised by supplier not to upgrade to 1.014 due to rear camera problem.

Original problems I had.

Date in December 2019 !
Time -12 hours.
Intermittent rear camera.
Only recording the last 5 minutes of journey to disc.
Wi-Fi only connects 1 time in about 10.

Deleting everything in the Record folder cured the calendar but not the time. All other problems persist but now the rear camera not working at all.

Got to wait until the dealer reopens tomorrow to start there and see what they have to say.

But I've already downloaded ver 1.017, anybody tried it yet ? Any reviews ?

DashCamDave - where can you get the custom firmware from that you mention ?

Thanks

Dave

I have just left there DR550GW a honest but damming review on Amazon. and I am not taking it off until they sort it.

If I'm being honest... They probably won't care. They openly admit they don't authorise sales of their products on eBay or Amazon.

True but advanced In car and the other seller in Ireland are both official dealers. They just sell online as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder when they are going to sort this out.

I emailed one of the chaps there on Thrusday evening. Hopefully I will get a response shortly.

I have now updated my camera to 1.017 UK sound is better not banging quite so much but the video is not much better. I think its more that they have had loads of returns from 1.014 and have rolled back the firmware slightly. and yes the time is still wrong.

Sorry this is the correct posting.

Just read this on Facebook blackvue uk. Not pittasoft I beleve they post on here jut thought I would update you none Facebook people.

"Blackvue UK
Today at 1:34am near Bournemouth, England
So I heard back from the chaps at Pittasoft regarding the email I sent at the tail end of last week. A few points were mentioned about the camera but the most important stuff for you guys is the following:

- They are aware of the Time issue currently experienced and the most recent update didn't include a fix.
- They weren't aware about the issue with the DR550 causing interference with DAB systems. I have sent them a link to the DashCamSystems forum to hopefully get a resolve
- No new news about the BitRate

My chap at Pittasoft is pretty efficient, any feedback I give him does get fed back to the engineers.

Now we can't use this as an excuse for a witch hunt, lets just hope all the feedback will be used correctly.

>Tim"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's my page that I run :)

I emailed one of the chaps there on Thrusday evening. Hopefully I will get a response shortly.

Tim, I got a cracking response,

Dear Customer,

First of all thank you for contacting us.
If you do not mind, Could you tell us what city are you living in UK?
We would like to check your city is include in summer time.

Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Pittasoft support team.

Is there any hope?

Back