BlackVue DR650-1CH low bitrate

Teo Tutulan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Probably it has been posted, but what`s the bitrate ot the DR650-1CH? I am using one (in UK) and it`s got a very low bitrate 6315 kbps, which in my opinion is really bad. As far as I knew, reading on various sites, the bitrate sould be around 8000 kbps.
I have the new firmware, the cloud enabled one which in all honestly it did improoved the quality of the camera, but it`s still not what I am looking for.
I don`t want to downgrade to the older version of the firmware as I will lose the cloud.

Here is link from youtube with a clip of about 2 days ago and you can see the quality is bad, it pixelates quite bad and if you want to see the number plate of the van, you can`t do it.

One of my firends is using the 600 one and quality is far superior, although he is filming at 7000 kbps, still not good enough for nowadays.

Here is a clip from my first day with the original firmware :

I admit, it is raining but my old mobius would`ve handled that briliantly.

Is there any custom firmware that I can download and improve my bitrate?

Thank you for your time !!!

The non cloud firmware is a bit higher bitrate, what you are getting is correct for that version

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. WHat youa re telling me that with the custom firmware, I could get a higher bitrate? And where to download that custom firmware, if you know ?

I was having the impression that the 650-1ch had a 8000kbps bitrate, am I wrong?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. WHat youa re telling me that with the custom firmware, I could get a higher bitrate? And where to download that custom firmware, if you know ?

I was having the impression that the 650-1ch had a 8000kbps bitrate, am I wrong?

no, I was saying that the older firmware was higher bitrate, around 8mbit, they reduced that when they introduced the cloud functionality

I don't know that there is a custom firmware for these newer models, the guys that were doing the firmware gave up on them I think

ok, thank you for your reply. I resolved the issue into sending the camera back and get a 600 one. I am waiting for it to come, but in the same time I am trying to get in touch with @alexsoll to get the custom firmware.....

You traded your DR650 with sony sensor for DR600? That's a mistake. If you wanted the 8000bps bit rate you could've installed the non-cloud firmware v1.002 available on the Blackvue website.

yes, that`s what I did. And I am going to install the 13mbps firmware from alexsoll...see how it goes. Maybe I was wrong, maybe not, but couldn`t find anything better. I`ll see how it goes and if I am not happy I am going to return the camera....

yes 13mbps will make the scenes smoother and clearer to see license plates but night time video just can't compare to the DR650. I would like to know if anyone have tried the Russian custom 15mbps dr650-2ch firmware on the dr650-1ch to see if that works.

yes 13mbps will make the scenes smoother and clearer to see license plates but night time video just can't compare to the DR650. I would like to know if anyone have tried the Russian custom 15mbps dr650-2ch firmware on the dr650-1ch to see if that works.
Yes.. I am curious as well about this mythical Russian custom software. It is my understanding that development stopped and the DR650-1CH is not included in the model(s) that this custom software would work in.

Yes.. I am curious as well about this mythical Russian custom software. It is my understanding that development stopped and the DR650-1CH is not included in the model(s) that this custom software would work in.

From what, I read, Alex stopped working on Blackvue's for it wasn't worth his time so the 1ch camera doesn't get it. We now just need to wait to see if Blackvue actually releases a 10mbps firmware.

From what, I read, Alex stopped working on Blackvue's for it wasn't worth his time so the 1ch camera doesn't get it. We now just need to wait to see if Blackvue actually releases a 10mbps firmware.
Does anyone know whether the "custom" firmware for the DR650GW-2CH is written from scratch or just an edited version of the original firmware? I managed to extract all the system files from the FW .bin file, but I believe it's impossible to tamper with the executables any further. I think the most interesting files for changing bitrate would be the main_app_DR550 and PTAMJPEGProducer ones. This is the firmware for the DR650GW-1CH, looks like they didn't even bother to change the filenames to DR650...

I've also extracted the ARM Kernel and the file system (Yaffs2).

lT15mVU.png

Last edited:
I gave up on Blackvue, after buying the DR500GW, all pittasoft’s video clips supposedly taken with the DR500GW showed wonderful day and night time clips,

only problem was they weren’t the same results the DR500GW they were selling produced, turns out the firmware from the camera that took the clips was not what they were selling, so you were never going to get good results they were advertising, just blatant lies

camera that took the clips was set to a high bit rate but the selling one was with a bit rate of around only 7,000 giving results no better than what my other 720p DVR was producing that cost only £40 and not getting on for over £250 the Blackvue cost, if it wasn’t for the Russian guys with their big effort in producing a better firmware, the Blackvue would of been bind very soon after purchasing

I gave up on Blackvue, after buying the DR500GW, all pittasoft’s video clips supposedly taken with the DR500GW showed wonderful day and night time clips,

only problem was they weren’t the same results the DR500GW they were selling produced, turns out the firmware from the camera that took the clips was not what they were selling, so you were never going to get good results they were advertising, just blatant lies

camera that took the clips was set to a high bit rate but the selling one was with a bit rate of around only 7,000 giving results no better than what my other 720p DVR was producing that cost only £40 and not getting on for over £250 the Blackvue cost, if it wasn’t for the Russian guys with their big effort in producing a better firmware, the Blackvue would of been bind very soon after purchasing

Yep, I've heard they bumped the bitrate for the advertisements. I've already extracted the file system from the firmware file, and I'd like to know where the bitrate settings reside, surely they didn't write the custom firmware from scratch, that would've taken way too long for a few guys I reckon.

Last edited:
I'll have a look later to see if I still have Mio's (the guy who put in the effort) files on my laptop and show you what they did to the firmware

if I’m not mistaken this is one of the files, I’ll keep looking in case I find others:
==========

#!/bin/sh
#

SIZE=1080P
#SIZE=5MP
# other possible resolution options:
#2MP
#3MP
#5MP - does not work - not enough memory
#720P_MAX
BITRATE="15000000"
# Default bitrate for DR500GW is 15000000

exec /mnt/nand/System/av_server1.out DM368 AUDIO 8000 AAC 24000 AEWB TI2A $SIZE H264 $BITRATE 0 VBR AUTO $(($BITRATE + 750000)) MJPEG 10 MENUOFF

=========
then there was this file:

DR500GW-custom-1-1.003_aE

do a google to see if it can be downloaded from somewhere

hope this is of help

Last edited:
I think there were 3 files, I know two of them:

1, DR500GW-custom-1.003_aE.zip
2, avserver.sh

3, might have been:
config-custom.ini (not 100% sure)

then there was another file that got rid of the "DR500GW" from showing on the footage

Thanks, I'll have a look to see if I can find any similarities.

From what I've checked, the firmwares for the 2CH and 1CH versions are fairly identical, except for the checks and functions for the rear camera on the 2CH. I don't know how much work would be required to rewrite the custom firmware to support the 1CH, can't be that much since the systems are so identical. The 1CH firmware even checks if there's a rear camera.

Last edited:
Back