blackvue dr650 and power magic pro - blackvue shutting down when open car door

bobby14

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have blackvue 650 hardwired via power magic pro and set to 11.8volts with infinite hour setting with parking mode enabled. After 14 hours overnight parking in closed door garage when I unlock the car door and enter the car I hear the Blackvue is shutting down message. There is no motion in garage so it doesn't record any clips.

I'm suspecting that when I unlock the car door it triggers some electronics and my car battery voltage dips below 11.8volts thus shutting down the power magic pro? I've had it for 2 months now and just recently started noticing it 2 weeks ago. I did upgrade the firmware around that time to v1.003. Is it the firmware or is my car battery life getting bad? Car is only 3 months old.

My Honda Civic (6 months old) is doing the same thing in cold temperatures (same settings, 11.8V, infinite time)

It's annoying as the blackvue is also turning off in the middle of the night and I was hoping it would be on 24/7.

I was thinking of taking out the power magic pro and hardwiring a 12V outlet that's always on, but that may be a bad idea if the battery is dipping below 11.8V every night or when I unlock.

Any suggestions are welcome

not any help but had the same thing happen today for the first time .
not sure why really as its only been parked overnight with no motion sensors on.
as i got into the car the blackvue told me it was shutting down !!

I was told that switching to the DR650 firmware would solve my GPS not working with my DR600, it didn't solve the issue. While I was using the DR650 firmware I was having the same issue with opening my door and BlackVue shutting down. I've since gone back to the DR600 firmware and haven't had the BlackVue shut down on opening doors.

My GPS still isn't working.

same message today when i got in car ,,blackvue shutting down WTF ???
checked battery voltage 12.57v so not that...

I have the 650 wired through the Power Magic Pro.
My problem is constant shutting down. I start the car, it comes on & I hear "Blackvue starting normal recording". Then it turms off. Then it starts again in about 30 seconds. Then it might record for a few minutes. Then it turns off.
Occasionally, still while driving, it will say "Blackvue shutting down". Then it shuts down for about 10 seconds & then starts again. WTF is going on with this thing???

EDIT: If I have the power cable unplugged & then plug it in while driving, the unit starts up & records, seemingly with no issues.
If I stop for any reason, say a red light, the unit starts to play up. That's when it starts doing what I've described above.

I thought it might have been in the settings, but when parked, the unit doesn't stay on long enough for me to log in... It constantly switches off & then restarts. Which means the WiFi connection is lost as well.

Last edited:
ive got a feeling it could be a faulty power magic pro and i think mine may be as well.

right i have now set my power magic back to 11.8 v not heard the shutting down message since when opening the car doors.my car is a fiesta ST3 2015 about 3 months old,i have checked the battery with a meter and also got one of these to monitor the voltage....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360650995916in the last 24 hours i have seen it between 12.3 and down to 11.8v so if i have the power magic set on 12v now and again when i get in the car i will get the shutting down message.
obviously the little fiesta 1.6 turbo battery is not that large as to keep a charge long so i am keeping my eye on it with the gadget,for a couple of pounds its well worth it.
when i am driving it shows about 14.7 v

Your shutdown voltage looks a little low - I've had mine set at 12.4 but seems to work better at 12.2V = wouldnt like to go any lower than that

Your shutdown voltage looks a little low - I've had mine set at 12.4 but seems to work better at 12.2V = wouldnt like to go any lower than that
im sure i only have 11.8v or 12v an option on my power magic pro !
will check.
yes just looked only the 2 options..

Last edited:
My 650 is installed in a 4x4 & I have constant battery voltage displayed for both cranking & aux batteries. The crank battery drops to below 11.8v when actually starting the engine, all other times it is over 13v. Usually sits on 13.2v.
The Aux batteries are charged by a DC-DC charger & are always receiving charge when the engine is running. They never drop below 12.2v & when the engine is running they are always around 13.6v.

I have the Power Magic set on 12v cut-off. The "constant power" wire from the Power Magic is connected to the Aux batteries. The "Acc" wire from the Power Magic is connected to an ingnition source which is fed from the crank battery.

i have two 7month old 125ah batteries in parallel on my rv..

In summer I can draw over 100ah off before they drop to 12.1v.

In winter they will only give 40ah and they are at 12v..

A car battery at 60ah has a quarter of my capacity and in winter its common to never be fully charged with blower on and all other electrics so I can see why people are having problems with these voltage cut off devices..

i have two 7month old 125ah batteries in parallel on my rv..

In summer I can draw over 100ah off before they drop to 12.1v.

In winter they will only give 40ah and they are at 12v..

A car battery at 60ah has a quarter of my capacity and in winter its common to never be fully charged with blower on and all other electrics so I can see why people are having problems with these voltage cut off devices..

Depends on location. You are in the UK & so get a much colder Winter. I'm in Brisbane, Australia. Coldest we get during the day in Winter is about 15deg C. And that is rare....
So realistically has very little effect on battery capacity / life..

I have 2 x 110ah Aux in the vehicle + the crank battery, & also have 2 x 110ah in the trailer as well. When camping we run an 80L fridge-freezer, lights, 12v fans, ph chargers etc.
Also run 2 x 12v computerised telescopes with tracking systems, heater systems, Fans etc. Telescopes are powered up 24/7 when we take them out. All runs with no problem.

Also have 3 x 130w solar panels for alternatinve charging for when the vehicle is parked up for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_1587 small.jpg
    IMG_1587 small.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 4
Depends on location. You are in the UK & so get a much colder Winter. I'm in Brisbane, Australia. Coldest we get during the day in Winter is about 15deg C. And that is rare....
So realistically has very little effect on battery capacity / life..

I have 2 x 110ah Aux in the vehicle + the crank battery, & also have 2 x 110ah in the trailer as well. When camping we run an 80L fridge-freezer, lights, 12v fans, ph chargers etc.
Also run 2 x 12v computerised telescopes with tracking systems, heater systems, Fans etc. Telescopes are powered up 24/7 when we take them out. All runs with no problem.

Also have 3 x 130w solar panels for alternatinve charging for when the vehicle is parked up for a few days.

He's in Canada in winter - not all folks understand how much loss of capacity or low state of charge low temperatures can inflict on a good healthy battery....

I live in the UK and am trying to find a solution.

I now have a small 8.5W solar panel connected directly to my battery at all times so it is trickle charging throughout the day when my camera is on and in park mode - I hope this helps. I've got voltage cutoff set at 12.2V but I really want to up this to 12.4V ideally.

Initially, I had the solar panel plugged into the 12v cigarette socket but this caused allsorts of problems with the radio/lcd screen staying on permanently (no doubt being powered directly by the solar panel). When I connected it to the main battery all problems gone.

Correction: The DR600 firmware is doing this as well.

I live in the UK and am trying to find a solution.

I now have a small 8.5W solar panel connected directly to my battery at all times so it is trickle charging throughout the day when my camera is on and in park mode - I hope this helps. I've got voltage cutoff set at 12.2V but I really want to up this to 12.4V ideally.

Initially, I had the solar panel plugged into the 12v cigarette socket but this caused allsorts of problems with the radio/lcd screen staying on permanently (no doubt being powered directly by the solar panel). When I connected it to the main battery all problems gone.

Bin the solar panel...

I have 360w on the rv in the UK and some tilt to the sun providing half there rated output in lowest winter sun...

Problem is there has been very little sun this year and I have been lucky to get anything out of them the odd day...

Not sure I understand this - I have a 8.5Watt panel. Lets say its only producing 3 watts during the day. Surely this is covering the power being used by my Blackvue which I believe is around 2 watts max. ?

Not sure I understand this - I have a 8.5Watt panel. Lets say its only producing 3 watts during the day. Surely this is covering the power being used by my Blackvue which I believe is around 2 watts max. ?

simples...

I have 360w and some days I only get 3 watts or nothing if its dull...

your 8.5 w will give you "didley squat" and with a pole might make a good bird table.

Before they ever became widespread , I had the idea of making and selling them 35 years ago by mail order in magazines and papers aimed at the older motorist and you would be exactly the sort of person I would have been targeting...

Back