Blackvue DR650GW questions?

WillowNest

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking for a Dash Cam for a long time now and I have decided that the DR650 fits my requirements, but I have the following questions before I get one.

1. As the car is only used for 15 mins every morning and evening will it run the battery down?
2. Will the stop start affect the camera?VidMate
3. As I have tinted windows will the rear camera still work ok?
4. The camera is mainly to keep an eye on the car whilst parked, what are the best settings for parking mode and G-shock?

Thanks

Last edited:

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Welcome to DCT @WillowNest :)

With the car being ran that little the battery is probably barely being charged, but if it's an AGM type that might be adequate. Either way it's not going to leave a lot of power for running a dashcam while parked, especially a 2-channel cam. Dark window tints do have an adverse effect and at night most cams (including the DR650) aren't going to see much at all. Whether stop-start affects it will be more based on the car than the cam. There are solutions for these problems though.

But what I see as more important here is that Blackvue is no longer updating or supporting this cam, it has reached it's "end-of-life" point which was announced by them several months ago. Plus it's "old tech"; there are much better sensors and processors and cams made now which are probably better suited for your purposes. It's not a bad cam, it's just that there are better ones now, and all cams eventually reach this point.

Phil

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
isn't the DR650 series an older deleted model?
I did mention this in my post ;)

It's reached EOL as far as factory support but it's still available for sale in some places. So either there were large stocks of this cam collecting dust on the shelves unsold, or BV kept producing it till at or near the EOL time; perhaps some of both :cautious: BV cams are not high-volume sellers and this one is several generations old so I think we're both baffled at why it is still being found on the market new these many years later on. Just doesn't make sense but not everything BV does makes sense to me anyway :rolleyes:

Phil