blackvue dr650s-2ch Am i missing something?

MazzaWin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading many many reviews and doing my extensive research, this was supposed to be the BEST camera out there. Yet after forking out over £500 for the 128gb version plus the magic pro power pack and all it's other bits, i don't see what the big deal is? It's directly comparable to a £40 camera since the 120 degree view is the exact same, the motion detection is annoying with over 200 notifications in an hour and thats IF you can stay connected and it discharges my car battery after 9 hours even with the power pack.

What am i missing? Can someone please help me understand what's so amazing about this product before i take it out of the car and get it replaced with one 10 times cheaper that does the same job? Can you justify the extensive cost?

Thanks

Don't think you did your research well enough.

The only desirable feature is parking mode, thats about it.

Oh really? I guess not. The parking mode is rubbish as my car disconnects the power magic pack after 9 hours when it starts to discharge the car battery.

Do you have any recommendations? I need a dual dash cam with night view and parking mode.

Many thanks

Oh really? I guess not. The parking mode is rubbish as my car disconnects the power magic pack after 9 hours when it starts to discharge the car battery.

Do you have any recommendations?

a different power source, a bigger battery, or wait for a camera that runs on fresh air, 9 hours is decent run time for the average car battery

Haha. If only.

Any other cameras you'd recommend? This one is definitely going back

nothing I recommend, I don't really do that, if you short list what you like though I can tell you which is the better choice and why

There are many single channel cams out there with better quality and price, but won't have parking mode. Like i said the only desirable feature of the DR650 is dual channel parking mode.

If your willing to forgo parking mode then it opens up a whole lot of choices.

Blackvue did recently release the DR490L-2CH, but i havent heard much feedback about it.

I really need parking mode as my car only seems to get slapped when it's parked!
I don't know what to do now?! I think i just had really high hopes for it but when my friend came over with a £20 dashcam and compared it to my £500 one, i wasnt impressed anymore.

the Thinkware cameras are generally considered to have better parking mode performance than the Blackvue cameras, might be worth your while to have a look a those

Sounds like you have a couple different problems to solve before you do anything. Or you can throw money away buying a different camera and still not be where you want to be.

First is your power source and your battery protector. What voltage threshold and timeout did you set up? Have you changed them? The defaults are pretty conservative. What is your car battery capacity? Is it even big enough to drive any camera for the time period you desire? Perhaps the issue is you actually needed a Cellink Battery B or similar but didn't buy one.

Properly set up the DR650S-2CH performs as well as (though slightly differently from) the Thinkware F770 2-channel. I own both. Each is in a different vehicle.

Power usage seems to be comparable; either will shut down prematurely with the default conservative settings. Thinkware has a nice timelapse parking mode, but it has its limitations as the timelapse frame rate can lose a lot of detail and if someone is looking around your car you might not get a frame with a clear view. It also doesn't record sound in timelapse mode. Both have adjustable sensitivity visual motion triggered recording in parking mode. Both also have g-shock sensor triggered recordings in parking mode. The DR650S can notify you via cloud, but can also be turned off. F770 will announce the quantity of events when you start the car and the announcement cannot be turned off. Worse, with motion recording turned on with the F770 you have no way to know whether or not a shock-sensor triggered event occurred without connecting to the camera and looking.

I suggest you sit down and figure out exactly what features you need or don't need, then look at the features of the leading cameras and compare. The DR650S-2CH and F770 2channel are the two top dual-channel units out there, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Be honest with you, I won't say Blackvue DR650S-2CH camera is the best camera out there. It is feature packed for customers who can take advantage of its functions such as cloud recording, cloud notifications, simple design, and coax cable to rear camera instead of USB cable.

For me, I picked the Thinkware F800 over the DR650S-2CH. First of all, I don't need cloud recording. I want 1080p HD, Front/Back and a dash cam that has new SONY Stavis sensor. I also want night vision and parking mode build into the camera so I don't need to use blackmagic pro. I am comfortable hard wiring the camera to the car.

I am not trying to start a "my horse is better than your horse" argument. What I am trying to say is that there are lots of cameras out there. Find out what you need and then purchase what you need with a little bit of room to expand later.

Well, for starters, i sounds to me like you didn't configure your Blackvue for your purpose. It takes a bit of messing around with the sensitivity and Motion Detection before getting it where it should. The default is a nightmare to drive with, in regards to MD.
Also, did you upgrade the FW to latest version to accomodate the Parking Mode release issue?

In regards of hours of recordings, your battery could be quite small or even..... dead.
Go check what it states in Wh or Ah. Possibly it's around 40-50Ah which makes your 2ch-setup run for about 5 hrs before going critical.

My 650S-2ch connected to Motopark with 12.0V Inf. settings, and a 80Ah easily does 12+hrs of 24/7-recording and still cranks the engine on a cold morning. No problems.

Back