Blackvue DR650S - change left side button to turn on wifi?

Discussion in 'BlackVue' started by matt kime, Aug 8, 2017.

1. matt kime

matt kime New Member

United States
    I have a Blackvue DR650S-2Ch that I'm very happy with aside from one problem - if you touch the left hand side it turns audio recording on and off. I find this mostly useless. I'd rather that it turn wifi on and off. Is it possible to change the functionality of the switch?

thanks,
    matt

2. jeez123

jeez123 Member

Denmark
    Dash Cam:
    Blackvue DR650S-2CH
    As wifi on/off is located on the side with power, rear-cam and the cover for the SD-card, there's litteraly no need for the wifi-feature on the left. ;)

Instead, go into the options of the camera and change it to Manual Recording, if needed, that way you can either choose to have voice recording on - constantly - or mute the audiofeed to the cam.

3. matt kime

matt kime New Member

United States
    >there's litteraly no need for the wifi-feature on the left.

Thats literally not true if you install the tamper proof case which blocks access to everything on the right side of the device

https://www.blackvue.com/tamper-proof-case/

4. jeez123

jeez123 Member

Denmark
    Dash Cam:
    Blackvue DR650S-2CH
    Well, knock yourself out then. What do you think the tamperproof case is for? Not tampering the cam... So why should you have access to the wifi? It's a locked-in state if you fit the case.

5. matt kime

matt kime New Member

United States
    Nothing to contribute but smart comments. Got it.

Perhaps someone else has helpful information.

6. bpsmicro

bpsmicro Member

Canada
    I totally understand the need to turn WiFi off & on. I have to myself due to a bit of a design flaw with the whole "Cloud" thing. Luckily, I don't have the anti-tamper thingy.

I'd love to be able to reprogram the proximity sensing switch myself, since I see zero value in an audio off/on switch. But alas, there appears no current option available. Maybe in some future firmware, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If I had the option, I'd love to be able to program that to manually enable/disable the parking mode motion detector, so when I'm parked at home I can leave it off (thus not filling my card with useless videos every time an insect buzzed by), but I could turn it on when at the local mall.

Is it feasible to maybe drill a hole in the anti-tamper thingy to allow access to that one button, but still protect the power/SD? Maybe some sort of spring-loaded plunger you could retrofit (or a tiny hole and a toothpick). :)

7. matt kime

matt kime New Member

United States
    My main interesting in turning on and off wifi -

A) Longer battery life with wifi off
    B) The camera needs to be checked on a regular basis to make sure its working.

Perhaps I can help address the problem by going after B. I'm just not crazy about the voice saying that its turned on and off. Maybe a simple beep would be better? Although I'm not sure if thats possible.

8. jeez123

jeez123 Member

Denmark
    Dash Cam:
    Blackvue DR650S-2CH
    Your idea of the proximity-sensor is fully understandable, but as it is, this is not possible. So if you need such a feature, you either have to reprogramme it yourself or file a bug to Blackvue / Pittasoft, and cross your toes that in some future FW-release this will happen.

The "Wifi On" or "Wifi Off"-speak is NOT currently possible to turn off. I wondered the same, but going thru the voice-feedback settings, no such thing is to be found. I've completely muted all the feedbacks, except event-beeps.
    It has brought a lot more silence to my car, instead of hearing recording mode changes, powering down, Blackvue for your safe driving, Starting normal recording etc etc.

Perhaps one day, the Wifi On / Off will be able to be muted as well.

9. sharpsicle

sharpsicle New Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    DR650S-2CH
    Isn't this prompt included in the "cloud related" voice guidance? If you turn off those notifications, it should go away. At least it did for me. I get no voice prompts whatsoever at any time, even when restarting it. It runs completely silent.

10. jeez123

jeez123 Member

Denmark
    Dash Cam:
    Blackvue DR650S-2CH
    I've turned off ALL voice-guidance prompts, it still informs me, when Wifi is being enabled / disabled.

Code:
    [Tab3]
    LED1=1
    LED2=0
    NORMALCOLOR=7
    PARKINGCOLOR=7
    STARTVOICE=0
    NORMALSTARTVOICE=0
    EVENTSTARTVOICE=0
    CHANGERECORDMODEVOICE=0
    PARKINGMODEVOICE=0
    ENDVOICE=0
    CLOUDVOICE=0
    PARKINGEVENTVOICE=0
    VOLUME=65
    AVOUT=0
    SPEEDALERTVOICE=0
    userString=
    RearLED=0
    PSENSOR=1
    One could ofc do
    Code:
    VOLUME=0
    if i needed. But that defeats my idea of enabling one of the other prompts if needed.