Blackvue dr750 power bank and solar charger?

RoSoMaK10

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi how are you guys? I need your opinion. I live in NYC after my car was hit and I can not find responsible person for that, im forced to install cameras in my car.
I have 2 cars one daily (smart car) and one weekend/family car (jeep grand Cherokee) both i have to park on the street...
I was about to order 2 Chanel blackvue dr750x (from what i read has much better resistance for heat)
On smart car i do not worry i can install and its fine. Problem starts with jeep. I usually drive it on weekends so car sometimes doesn't drive 1 week. I was thinking about Blackvue power bank but 1 wouldn't be enough which is not cheap.
So my idea is to install solar pannel like this

Please tell if it will work and if its enough.
Thank you

I dont think solar charging will work well to charge but you can expand a cellink neo or Blackvue battery with a much larger lifepo4 12.8v battery if you need more recording time.
To power a dr750s you need atleast to generate a constant 3-4watts at 12v.

Not many power banks support pass thru charging, so as i recall when this have been up before not a viable path.

Not many power banks support pass thru charging, so as i recall when this have been up before not a viable path.
Correct, outside of the big power banks that look like a jump box, they are only designed to perform one function at a time. If charging, they will stop providing a charge. Plus, the solar panel is a slow charge process.

I've found the best solution for me is to get one of those solar panels that trickle charges your car battery, and having the camera hard wired to battery, of course with one of those kits that turn the camera off if the car battery dips below a certain voltage.
USB power bank solar charging has issues like not many support pass through charging, and some need a button pressed between each power loss.

A dashcam for the most need 2 A PSU to make sure it run smooth, but the camera do not consume that much, this is of course at 5 V at least with the majority 5 V cameras.
I think around 500 mA when the camera are up and running. there are a few threads where power consumption have been debated for some models.

I assume remarque mean running on just solar power, which i assume you could do, but some buffer in form of a battery are best, after all solar panels can fluctuate quite a bit unless you have clear blue skies, so you need to account for that too.

@remarque You might have a look at this YouTube channel DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse Not comprehensive for full-house solar but good to learn the basics from. If you look through the comments underneath his vids you'll find some others who also have YouTube vids on this, and the "recommended vids" bar on the right will have something more toward full-house solar. There's no easy answer for this question because someone who needs air conditioning most of of the year will need a lot more power than someone who doesn't need it at all. And a lot depends on the efficiency of both your appliances and your system. It's not quite viable money-wise yet in most places but it's getting close if you do your own build. Doing the electrical part of building a system is what Will's channel is mostly about- he's the best for that.

Phil

I've found the best solution for me is to get one of those solar panels that trickle charges your car battery, and having the camera hard wired to battery, of course with one of those kits that turn the camera off if the car battery dips below a certain voltage.
USB power bank solar charging has issues like not many support pass through charging, and some need a button pressed between each power loss.
Essentially this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B084M5ZL5L
Or even this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07TY3HGF7
?

My cameras are currently hard wired, not sure where to however!

Back