Blackvue DR750LW firmware upgrade failure

brotherkeung

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Dear all

While my DR750 was flashing from the Korean firmware to the English firmware, it had been halt for more than 30 minutes. I had no option and have to cut the power. Now, it cannot load into the system and displays a black screen only (see this Youtube link).

Since this dashcam is purchased from Korea, I have no way to bring it back to Korea for repair. Could anyone help me how I can flash back the firmware?

Thanks

If you have backup the original file (BlackVue), simply copy the same file back to the micro sd card and reboot. I had the same experience from changing the Chinese version to English and it failed too.

Hi aaron,

I just encountered the same problem, but I do not have a backup. is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance

it's a problem to restore back
maybe this will help, and maybe not: http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=30.0
agnJ0.png

agnIU.png

Last edited:
Hi alexsoll,

Thanks for the reply. This method can't solve.

If you do not have a backup file, you probably need to get it from either the factory or the retailer who sold you the unit for such a file to restore!

Hi,
I have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet? If yes, please share it with us. Thank you.

Hi Aaron,
As I bought my dr750 from Korea and I am from Singapore, Can I just get a copy from other dr750 user to do the restore?

Evqevq, on the memory card the files have?
if Yes, what is there in the file version.bin ?

Evqevq,
Unless you know a Korean user here to share his file. You may try downloading the blackvue firmwares from its official site : http://www.blackvue.co.kr/contents/sub3.asp
It is on number 46 V1.012. Good luck!
hi,

I have tried the korean firmware, not working. btw, i'm from singapore. Prefer English firmware. Thanks

Evqevq, on the memory card the files have?
if Yes, what is there in the file version.bin ?

Hi,

I formatted the card at the beginning. hmm.. bad move. haha.

Btw. can any of u send a copy of your file? of cause, with the recordings removed. Would really appreciate it.
I got my dr750 online from a Korean seller. Will have to send it back to Korea for repairs, and the seller is not very responsive.

I have the same problem with brotherkeung when I update the firmware V1.012 via OTA. anybody can help me? thanks

hi,

I have tried the korean firmware, not working. btw, i'm from singapore. Prefer English firmware. Thanks

Hi Evqevq,

Sorry for belated response.

I think if your dash cam is purchased in Korea and now it does not even turn on, downloading a original Korean firmware may help you at least have your camera back to a normal working condition. If this does the job, then you can figure out what other language you want with the files backup so you won't have the same problem twice. If the link I posted before did not work, you may want to check what else in Blackvue Korean official site to offer and try to get your camera working again. Unless the person who sold you the camera is helpful enough to send you any backup. The files from other users will not work in your camera as we have different firmwares which you can find and download from Blackvue websit. Good luck!

Hi Evqevq,

If your machine has been back to working condition in Korean, then you can try following to change to English version which I just did successfully by learning other posts in this forum. All you need to do is to have your camera back to a normal working condition.

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents...boardsort=&page=2&idx=2017&search=&searchstr=

After extract the file to a micro SD, you then can replace all files under sub-folder 'config' except the file 'config' from your original micro SD. In my case, I have replace a file called 'fdur' and 'version.bin'.

Good luck!

Cudgel, were you ever able to get everything completely fixed? How did you get it fixed to at least the point where everything worked except the screen? I am having the same issue as so many others. This was not my first OTA update, so I was surprised when things went wrong

Cudgel, at least your camera is working partially. In this case, I would suggest you to back up your blackvue folder before getting any firmware upgrade. Most important is to keep your original "config" folder. Then try to download from blackvue the latest English firmware and following my above posting to replace the "version.bin" file or any other files from your original config folder but to KEEP the download "config" file. Hope the latest firmware can help your camera to working condition. FYI, in my case, it took nearly 5 minutes to finish the upgrade and reboot. Good luck!

So after spending hours messing around with this, I am now to the point that Cudgel is (or was). I have a blackvue that records video but a completely unfunctioning touch screen with audio and startup prompts in Russian...

Here's how the problem started:
Running 1.010 firmware on a Korean DR750LW-2CH that had been flashed to English from some crooked seller, I stupidly decide to upgrade to 1.012 before reviewing these forums (I had not had any problems updating to 1.008 and 1.010 in the past). My upgrade froze and after 20 minutes I pulled the plug. When restarting I got only black screen with all LEDs on. Only pulling the plug would turn it off. This exactly the same case as the guy above with youtube video ===

Here's what I tried:
1. Copying updated firmware 1.012 for both Korean and English version to the microSD, no response
2. I finally tried out the Russian forums, and paid the $10 (donation fee) to get access to their private restore software links. Here is a link to the thread, also written by Cudgel ===
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=938.0
Here is the thread where the software links are (you have to pay them to see the links):
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=30.0
3. After using the Russian recovery software, I was able to at least boot up, but when putting in a blank memory card, the screen would show an open door icon in the top left corner of the screen and then go black (but on) and all LED lights off. If I booted without a memory card, I would get the "drive responsibly" (I don't recall exactly what it says but it has a symbol of a hand and an X across it) and "please insert microSD card" screen in Russian also with Russian voice over.
4. Next I tried all variants of swapping out System and Config folders from various firmware versions (1.012 in ENG, KOR, RUS), with nothing getting past the same result as number 3
5. I realized I had made a copy of my microSD clear back when I was running 1.008. I copied this directly over to my microSD card. This time it booted up, with the "drive responsibly" in russian, and then it goes to a black screen, but the red record light flashes. When looking at the memory card later, it shows that the camera was recording, but none of the screen functions work.

So now I have a half-bricked $500 dash cam, that I have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully my dead ends are helpful to others so you don't waste time like I have done. What I really wish existed was a restore image with the English firmware. I will update the post if I figure anything else out. I would appreciate others if they have gotten farther than me to chime in and share their process.

Cudgel, at least your camera is working partially. In this case, I would suggest you to back up your blackvue folder before getting any firmware upgrade. Most important is to keep your original "config" folder. Then try to download from blackvue the latest English firmware and following my above posting to replace the "version.bin" file or any other files from your original config folder but to KEEP the download "config" file. Hope the latest firmware can help your camera to working condition. FYI, in my case, it took nearly 5 minutes to finish the upgrade and reboot. Good luck!

Thank you for the info Aaron2009kwok.

Since my camera came with Korean firmware and I never converted it to English, should I be downloading the latest Korean as opposed to English?

I will try what you suggested when I have a bit more time to play with this!

So after spending hours messing around with this, I am now to the point that Cudgel is (or was). I have a blackvue that records video but a completely unfunctioning touch screen with audio and startup prompts in Russian...

Here's how the problem started:
Running 1.010 firmware on a Korean DR750LW-2CH that had been flashed to English from some crooked seller, I stupidly decide to upgrade to 1.012 before reviewing these forums (I had not had any problems updating to 1.008 and 1.010 in the past). My upgrade froze and after 20 minutes I pulled the plug. When restarting I got only black screen with all LEDs on. Only pulling the plug would turn it off. This exactly the same case as the guy above with youtube video ===

Here's what I tried:
1. Copying updated firmware 1.012 for both Korean and English version to the microSD, no response
2. I finally tried out the Russian forums, and paid the $10 (donation fee) to get access to their private restore software links. Here is a link to the thread, also written by Cudgel ===
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=938.0
Here is the thread where the software links are (you have to pay them to see the links):
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=30.0
3. After using the Russian recovery software, I was able to at least boot up, but when putting in a blank memory card, the screen would show an open door icon in the top left corner of the screen and then go black (but on) and all LED lights off. If I booted without a memory card, I would get the "drive responsibly" (I don't recall exactly what it says but it has a symbol of a hand and an X across it) and "please insert microSD card" screen in Russian also with Russian voice over.
4. Next I tried all variants of swapping out System and Config folders from various firmware versions (1.012 in ENG, KOR, RUS), with nothing getting past the same result as number 3
5. I realized I had made a copy of my microSD clear back when I was running 1.008. I copied this directly over to my microSD card. This time it booted up, with the "drive responsibly" in russian, and then it goes to a black screen, but the red record light flashes. When looking at the memory card later, it shows that the camera was recording, but none of the screen functions work.

So now I have a half-bricked $500 dash cam, that I have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully my dead ends are helpful to others so you don't waste time like I have done. What I really wish existed was a restore image with the English firmware. I will update the post if I figure anything else out. I would appreciate others if they have gotten farther than me to chime in and share their process.

Hi vogman1,

Good to know that you got your camera half working!

My LCD screen still doesn't function and I'm surprised you even got the start up Russian prompts. When I finished flashing, nothing happens until I put my original 1.07 file on the microSD card. What I'm confused about is that my card is with 1.07 file but after using it in the camera and I put the card in my computer to view, it says my firmware version is 1.12 but I don't have the functionalities of 1.12.

When I saved my settings (time zone, voltage cut off, etc), it wouldn't save to my camera but I noticed if I set everything BUT leave the time zone alone, the settings are saved. So at least I am able to have my voltage cut off at 12V instead of 11.8 and I can voice prompts turned off, etc.

If anyone is ever successful in getting the LCD working again, please help us!

Thanks!

Back