alexsoll

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Dash Cam
Street Guardian, BlackVue, Thinkware
S6iJLZ.png

With its 8-megapixel CMOS sensor, the DR900S-1CH captures 4K Ultra High Definition video—four times as many pixels as Full HD.
All the imaging prowess of your dashcam is kept intact thanks to the most advanced video encoding technology:
the H.265 (HEVC) compression means your videos look better and file size is kept as small as ever.

https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr900s-1ch/

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-1ch/

Last edited:
Pity they didn't choose the IMX334 chip. Maybe it was too expensive.

may not be supported yet by whatever processor they are using

Quite possibly. Just if I'm interpreting the figures correctly, (they don't always seem to quote them in the same terms across all the chips), the 334 has vastly superior night performance.

Last edited:
Any more discussion of when this might be released?

Did i miss something here or is the specs not just as exiciting as the could've been?

I mean... 8.2MP front 2MP back-camera.. WUT?

The IMX334 is not released yet, the cost will be high, designed for security camera, not for dash cameras.
Normally Sony will release a cost down version for dash cam.

The cheapest is $389 with 16GB card included. Strange to offer a 16GB card for a 4K camera.

I will wait for the night footage to see how is recording a $400 dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Maybe those of you who are more familiar with the intricacies involved can chime in but why aren’t more manufacturers making their cams capable of accepting 256gb cards? It may not matter for 1080 cams but for those of us with cams that record in 1440 at a decent bitrate and use external battery packs for parked recording, the 256gb card is welcome. Especially this 4k cam, it really would have benefited from accepting 256gb cards.

I’ve only seen the latest street guardian accepts 256gb cards and a Viofo said they are working on allowing the A119 to accept them in a future firmware update.

https://autodvr.by/download/blackvue-cloud-viewer-1.19-mac.zip
https://autodvr.by/download/blackvue-cloud-viewer-1.18-windows.zip

Supported Models Supported Versions
DR900S-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR750S-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR650GW-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR650S-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR590W-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR590-1/2CH All Firmware Versions
DR450-1CH Firmware from Version v1.004 and up
DR430-2CH Firmware from Version v1.001 and up
DR470-2CH Firmware from Version v1.001 and up
DR490L-2CH All Firmware Versions
DR490-2CH All Firmware Versions

For older models or firmware versions, please update or download and use the Legacy Viewer further below.

Last edited:
The cheapest is $389 with 16GB card included. Strange to offer a 16GB card for a 4K camera.

I will wait for the night footage to see how is recording a $400 dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz
Hey Mtz,

Here's some samples from the DR900S we've been testing.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

How does it compare to GitUp F1? GitUp is 1/3 the cost 125$ vs 370$...

How does it compare to GitUp F1? GitUp is 1/3 the cost 125$ vs 370$...

Hey Leo,

We've never tested the GitUp F1 before so we're unable to comment on how it stacks up.
Maybe someone here can chime in on this?

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

The IMX334 is not released yet, the cost will be high, designed for security camera, not for dash cameras.
Normally Sony will release a cost down version for dash cam.

Maybe this is why there's an apparent quality difference between Dashcam and Security cameras. I wonder if the cut is not just in cost but in performance to stop people from the security industry buying dashcam sensors and incorporating them in security products?

Last edited:
Maybe this is why there's an apparent quality difference between Dashcam and Security cameras. I wonder if the cut is not just in cost but in performance to stop people from the security industry buying dashcam sensors and incorporating them in security products?

That could be the case. That said I am a bit disappointed the "dashcam" industry has not moved on to larger sensors, say a 1 inch sensor. The cost is not that high compare to the smaller sensors and you get much better quality with day and nighttime video.

Also when we talk about cost, one issue with a expensive dahscam is theft, at least in some areas and depending on where you park the car. Depending on the situation a removable dash mounted dashcam is sometimes what you want. If it is out of sight, no theft.

That could be the case. That said I am a bit disappointed the "dashcam" industry has not moved on to larger sensors, say a 1 inch sensor. The cost is not that high compare to the smaller sensors and you get much better quality with day and nighttime video.

Also when we talk about cost, one issue with a expensive dahscam is theft, at least in some areas and depending on where you park the car. Depending on the situation a removable dash mounted dashcam is sometimes what you want. If it is out of sight, no theft.

I agree with the big sensors, although it also needs large pixels to make the difference, at least for night vision. In think the issue there is at least 2 fold:

i. Big sensors need big lenses, and quality lenses are expensive. On many cameras they're already disappointing in quality (to me) because of the cost, - If I were to select a lens now, the one I would select for a dashcam retails at trade in reasonable quantity at a cost of $55 from memory. I'm not saying that it's the best, it's just the one out of the one's I've seen, based on the specs, I rate the most as most likely to give "pro" results. However, I'm pretty sure many dashcam manufacturers are probably using lenses that cost 1/10th of that, so it's a very big jump up in manufacturing cost, and you can multiply even that cost several times if you make the lens bigger to fit a 1" sensor. It's going to take someone to either break away from the crowd and produce a high end dashcam with high quality lens and large sensor, or it's going to take a shift to removable lenses eg M12 with the intention of fitting an OK lens on a reasonably priced dashcam, but making it easy for the enthusiast customer to swap it out for a higher quality one.

ii. Processor board size / availability - a larger sensor requires a larger camera and thus a larger dashcam. It may be difficult to find a dashcam board that supports 1" sensors (although Sony have an action camera that obviously contains a board that does - RX0).

With regards to theft, I've never heard of one being stolen, but that's definitely one of my concerns.

Back