Blackvue DR900S-2CH dead after firmware update

Dashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Camera was working fine until I decided to install firmware update v1.010. Downloaded the firmware to my phone and used the Over the Air upgrade option. Camera voice said update was in progress and the red light was flashing for a while. Afterwards the voice said restarting and then a steady blue GPS light. Nothing works now, GPS blue light comes on steady as soon as power is on, no voice nothing (light under front camera is also on). Tried unplugging power for hours, removing and installing Blackvue SD card, nothing. The Blackvue SD card was formatted FAT32 using the BV viewer.

Anyone else been here?

Cheers

Try formatting the BlackVue SD card, and download the firmware again from BlackVue website;
DR900S-2CH

DR900S-1CH

Extract the ZIP file and copy to the Micro SD card.
Put in the BlackVue.

This may reload the firmware and resolve the issue.
If not, try another Micro SD card that you've not used before as your others may be broken now.

If not, contact BlackVue warranty;
cs@pittasoft.com

Thanks for the information. I have tried downloading from the BV site, unzipping and installing but no change :0(

The Blackvue SD card is readable when inserted into my laptop, so it does not look broken. Will try another card though.

Regrettably this happened to me as well, doing a firmware update and afterwords just the blue LED light on. Fortunately the camera was under a year old so it was exchange under warranty for a new camera. Since having the replacement camera I have not attempted to do a firmware update.

Sorry to hear that your units failed during firmware update and became bricked. I've never been scary about doing the firmware upgrades on our two DR900S dash cams, but now I'm going to be more careful in the future...

Update - I tried everything BV support suggested but nothing worked. By everything I mean using the BV viewer to reformat the BV SD card, downloading and unzipping the firmware update., then installing the SD card back into the camera and powering on. I tried dropping back down to the previous firmware version but still no luck, only GPS blue led.

Thankfully the camera can go back for a refund. I will be more wary about future firmware updates (we shouldn't have to be) and will stick to the SD card method rather than Over the Air.

I don't see why the camera cannot hold a base firmware version (in read only memory) which could be defaulted to by pressing a reset function. Then at least it would get you back up and running if a firmware update was interrupted. One for the electronic engineers.

On the plus side my wife has had the same camera fitted in her car for over two years now without any issues. It has caught two accidents and a few close calls, one of the accidents was caught in parking mode and clearly showed everything over a number of clips. I don't think I will be updating it's firmware, as they say if it ain't broke!

Thanks for everyone's input. Keep dashing!

Back