BlackVue DR900S-2CH Mounting Options

connorbu19

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
So I bought a BlackVue DR900S-2CH dashcam and I am getting the windows of my car tinted next week. I’ve been doing some research and I’m not quite sure how I should mount the rear camera. I’ve read that you can use some static cling film to attach the adhesive to so that if you ever want to remove the dashcam, it won’t ruin the tint.

My question is: Has anyone ever used the static cling film method of attaching the rear dashcam? How well does it work? Is the camera too heavy for it? Should I just install it and have the window tint cut out around it? Does the camera have trouble seeing out of the tint (20%) well during the night?

Thanks for the help guys.

So I bought a BlackVue DR900S-2CH dashcam and I am getting the windows of my car tinted next week. I’ve been doing some research and I’m not quite sure how I should mount the rear camera. I’ve read that you can use some static cling film to attach the adhesive to so that if you ever want to remove the dashcam, it won’t ruin the tint.

My question is: Has anyone ever used the static cling film method of attaching the rear dashcam? How well does it work? Is the camera too heavy for it? Should I just install it and have the window tint cut out around it? Does the camera have trouble seeing out of the tint (20%) well during the night?

Thanks for the help guys.
Ask for some offcuts of the tint, it is almost the same stuff as the electrostatic stickers and you can cut it to the shape and size you want, and if it is darkened then it can help hide the camera body from being seen from outside. Both electrostatic film and tint film will hold things much heavier than a camera, it is held on by vacuum, so you have 1 atmosphere of force, or 14 pound weight per square inch of film.

There shouldn't be a problem removing the camera from the tint anyway, as long as you don't use a sharp knife or whatever to cut it off or put it right at the edge of the glass. Saw it off with a piece of thread/fishing line/dental floss/etc. and it should be fine.

When I mounted mine on tint, it fell off. Just saying.
I cut a hole in the tint and positioned the hole/camera so that the tint covers the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the screen to cut out sky glare. Works for me.

best

That awful looking thing has been mentioned before.
The only question is: "WHY?" (Unless you are selling them)

That awful looking thing has been mentioned before.
The only question is: "WHY?" (Unless you are selling them)
LOL. Plus, this is for front cam mount (unless you're running 70 or higher tint on your front windshield). I've read in other forums about using a scrap piece of Paint Protection Film (PPF) which will be "stickier" than the static cling screen protectors but can be peeled off without affecting the tint.

Yes, I appreciate that problem. But why not use the supplied and much neater sticky mount?

In my opinion, the supplied mount is not reliable, especially in a hot climate. The base is not even flush, it's quite hard if at all possible, to fully stick it to the windshield.

The problem with that aluminum mount mentioned above is that it's poorly engineered. I've checked it on amazon a while ago, it's too long and therefore will lead to lots of camera shake. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive.
So, I decided to go for using the supplied mount PLUS additional cheap mount, see this: https://amzn.to/2y6Vrim

I haven't noticed any shake when watching playback. But, the price is pretty high. I'm glad I had discount codes

Back