BlackVue DR900S-2CH PROBLEM WITH FORMATTING!!! “Please check the SD card” error - NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!

I K

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody. I was so exsited to get this dashcam. But not too long. First I noticed that the cam is overheating, after this it started to fallout from my windshield (I guess the glue can not withstand the direct sun-heat and bracket falls out) And then ! after 2 weeks my deshcam stopped recording. I tried to format the card from the camera and from the PC butpop eye  - Copy - Copy.jpg learn that it's impossible to do!
Now I have my 128mb SD card (original from Blackvue) clogged with video files but I cannot format it no matter what I try to do. I even tried to delete each file manually! It's undeleteble! Every time I insert the card, I see the same video files. And when I try to format the card The '“Please check the SD card” error message the only result :(
Can anyone help with advice? Before I start all of this returning routine...

If you’re on Windows, run command line as administrator and then run the utility diskpart. First command then would be list disk, remember the number of your mounted sd card, then comman select disk X where X is the number from previous step. Then run clean and all the partitions should me gone. You can create new onw with command create primary partition or do it with GUI if you right clock your computer and select management -> something with drives. Don’t have access to a Mac, in Linix just fdisk with proper device should work too.

Reactions: I K
If you’re on Windows, run command line as administrator and then run the utility diskpart. First command then would be list disk, remember the number of your mounted sd card, then comman select disk X where X is the number from previous step. Then run clean and all the partitions should me gone. You can create new onw with command create primary partition or do it with GUI if you right clock your computer and select management -> something with drives. Don’t have access to a Mac, in Linix just fdisk with proper device should work too.
My dear fiend. Can you Please! do a step-by-step (1->2->3->.....) instruction for a non-hacker user of PC with Windows 10 Please! Cause I didn't get it form your first instructions. Thank you!!!

I take it you have tried to reformat the sd card in BlackVue Viewer, am I correct? The formatting process in the viewer will format it as FAT 32. If the card will not format at all, you could have a damaged sd card.

Now, about the unit falling off of the windshield. I live in Florida and park for 10 hours plus during the week day in an open parking lot. It gets between the mid to upper 90's here and my camera has never come loose. (Knock on wood now since I just cursed myself.) Did you prep the window properly before mounting the camera?

Who did you purchase the camera from?

Last edited:
This is exactly what I did using Windows 10 to format my Samsung 128GB EVO Select card to FAT32 for use my in DR900S: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a-shiny-new-camera.34482/#post-410127
  1. Download guiformat.exe: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
  2. Insert SD card and run guiformat.exe
  3. Set drive letter to the SD card
  4. Set allocation unit size to 65536 (64MB, just like the Blackvue 16GB card)
  5. Press Start

I would say you have a defective / damaged sd card. Have you tried using a different sd card?

I take it you have tried to reformat the sd card in BlackVue Viewer, am I correct? The formatting process in the viewer will format it as FAT 32. If the card will not format at all, you could have a damaged sd card.

Now, about the unit falling off of the windshield. I live in Florida and park for 10 hours plus during the week day in an open parking lot. It gets between the mid to upper 90's here and my camera has never come loose. (Knock on wood now since I just cursed myself.) Did you prep the window properly before mounting the camera?

SteveFL
Yes, I did prep the glass before installing the bracket. But the thing is, that (with the sticky patch that they provided) , when the temp. is high for log time the the glue is melting ( I should've taken pics.) and it looks like f'n' mucus smeared partially on the glass and partially on the bracket....
About where I bought it - I got it from The Deshcam.com online store... And now I hate it - to spend time for back and force emailing with support to find a solution :(

My dear fiend. Can you Please! do a step-by-step (1->2->3->.....) instruction for a non-hacker user of PC with Windows 10 Please! Cause I didn't get it form your first instructions. Thank you!!!

Hi, I'll try.

1. in the first picture you can see how to open powershell as admnistrator (right click at the start menu button [the one looking like windows logo) and seleting windows powershell (admin), a popup comes to verify you really want to run it as administrator)

1_start_powershell_as_administrator.png

2. second picture shows you how to start disk management

2_start_disk_management.png

3. here you can see my sample USB flash disk where I created three sample partition just to show you what to look for. if you are not sure which of the drives listed on your pc is the one you should be formatting you can compare these lists with the drive mounted and unmounted, same for diskpart later)

3_disk_management_sample_paritions.png

4. here is the powershell window with commands I used to list disks, select disk, list its partitions (optional, only wanted to show you it's the same as in disk management) and finally the important part, cleaning the whole partitioning table + the visible result in disk management (it says unallocated at the drive now meaning no partitions)

4_cleaned_removeable_disk.png

5. you can create a single partition on the whole drive (I added the red line to show it's no longer unallocated!)

5_(optional)_created_primary_partition.png

6. you can (preferably in disk management although doable in diskpart too) format the partition with filesystem that your dashcam likes. this step shouldn't matter much since the camera should be able to reformat it itself once the partition table has been deleted (clean command in step 4) and recreated (step 5)

6_(optional)_format_created_partition.png

These steps remove and recreate ALL the logical structures from the drive meaning if this doesn't help nothing does. The data is still on the card just the structure is no longer known and should someone want to get to it it would need to scan and search for fragments the files are made of. The data would be difficult to recover now so only do it with drives you know and don't need the data that's on them. I really recommend to pick the right drive in step 4. and not cleaning your system or data drives.

Good luck.

Reactions: I K
SteveFL
Yes, I did prep the glass before installing the bracket. But the thing is, that (with the sticky patch that they provided) , when the temp. is high for log time the the glue is melting ( I should've taken pics.) and it looks like f'n' mucus smeared partially on the glass and partially on the bracket....
About where I bought it - I got it from The Deshcam.com online store... And now I hate it - to spend time for back and force emailing with support to find a solution :(

I have never seen an adhisive for these mounts melt to this degree. I am not doubting you at all, but as said, my camera, (actually I have three mounted) has never come loose because of the heat, and it has gotten up to 97 degrees F here. You said you purchased the camera from The Deshcam.com, by any chance did you mean The Dashcamstore? If so, are you speaking with Andrew or Mathew via email?

Hi, I'll try.

1. in the first picture you can see how to open powershell as admnistrator (right click at the start menu button [the one looking like windows logo) and seleting windows powershell (admin), a popup comes to verify you really want to run it as administrator)

View attachment 39800

2. second picture shows you how to start disk management

View attachment 39801

3. here you can see my sample USB flash disk where I created three sample partition just to show you what to look for. if you are not sure which of the drives listed on your pc is the one you should be formatting you can compare these lists with the drive mounted and unmounted, same for diskpart later)

View attachment 39802

4. here is the powershell window with commands I used to list disks, select disk, list its partitions (optional, only wanted to show you it's the same as in disk management) and finally the important part, cleaning the whole partitioning table + the visible result in disk management (it says unallocated at the drive now meaning no partitions)

View attachment 39804

5. you can create a single partition on the whole drive (I added the red line to show it's no longer unallocated!)

View attachment 39805

6. you can (preferably in disk management although doable in diskpart too) format the partition with filesystem that your dashcam likes. this step shouldn't matter much since the camera should be able to reformat it itself once the partition table has been deleted (clean command in step 4) and recreated (step 5)

View attachment 39806

These steps remove and recreate ALL the logical structures from the drive meaning if this doesn't help nothing does. The data is still on the card just the structure is no longer known and should someone want to get to it it would need to scan and search for fragments the files are made of. The data would be difficult to recover now so only do it with drives you know and don't need the data that's on them. I really recommend to pick the right drive in step 4. and not cleaning your system or data drives.

Good luck.

THANK YOU SIR!!!!

If I have my SD card in a USB adaptor, the BV software, although being able to read the card, will not format it.
If I put it in an SD card adaptor and into the SD slot on my computer, it formats OK. OS=Win 10
Just a thought.

THANK YOU SIR!!!![/QU

:( NO SUCCESS (SEE THE PIC)..... WELL IN THIS SITUATION, I GUESS IT'S EASIER TO RETURN THE CARD OR MAYBE EVEN THE CAMERA TOO...

Attachments

• pop eye  - Copy - Copy.jpg
    pop eye - Copy - Copy.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 18
could be card or camera at fault, hard to know for sure, card is no good for sure now though so that at least needs replacing

I have never seen an adhisive for these mounts melt to this degree. I am not doubting you at all, but as said, my camera, (actually I have three mounted) has never come loose because of the heat, and it has gotten up to 97 degrees F here. You said you purchased the camera from The Deshcam.com, by any chance did you mean The Dashcamstore? If so, are you speaking with Andrew or Mathew via email?

I don't know if it's Mathew. It just signed "The Dashcam Store Team ". They've sent me a new card.... I'll see how it's going to solve the problem. Hope it's not a camera itself ....

Back