Blackvue DR900S - 2CH

It was a long waiting :)
Any chance to test the parking mode?

It was a long waiting :)
Any chance to test the parking mode?
Parking mode is just like the DR750S, minimal changes there. Quality is similar to when the vehicle is in motion.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

So, like i see, here is no sony starvis at front camera, imx291 in rear and 8 mpx in front. But what is 8mpx? New omnivision? Or samsung? Any chance for open box?

Like i remember on ces2018 they are present popup stand with sony starvis 8mpx but now no any posted about sony sensor in front.

So, like i see, here is no sony starvis at front camera, imx291 in rear and 8 mpx in front. But what is 8mpx? New omnivision? Or samsung? Any chance for open box?

Like i remember on ces2018 they are present popup stand with sony starvis 8mpx but now no any posted about sony sensor in front.

I have one sitting in front of me, however, I can not tell you which sensor it is and I don't really feel like prying it open to find out. lol
Maybe BlackVue will chime in later? On their product info they simply state the front camera is an 8 mpx unit and the rear is Starvis

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Jimmy, yeap i understand)
But maybe if u have contacts in pittasoft, u will ask about front sensor? I dont think what is big secret because someone open it in future and we will be know what sensor is used.

Jimmy, yeap i understand)
But maybe if u have contacts in pittasoft, u will ask about front sensor? I dont think what is big secret because someone open it in future and we will be know what sensor is used.
Hmmmm we can ask but if the spec sheet says that it's generally kept secret. I'll reach out see what they say.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

like maybe some remember at SEMA 2017 here is poster with 8.51Mpx and sony starvis. Now, i think they change sensor and maybe this reason for non post this information? dont know...
BlackVue-DR900s-2CH-starvis-300x292.jpeg

It's a HiSilicon SoC (I think Hi3559) and it's got an IMX290 in the rear (assuming that as it's a FullHD sensor back there) - I've not worked out the front sensor yet though from the code.

OK right not as easy as usual to identify but it seems the spec of the DR900s is as follows:

Soc: HiSilicon Hi3559
Front: OmniVision OS08A10 (the IMX117 is in the firmware but the code seems to be initialising only the Omnivision in the UHD modes).
Rear: Sony IMX290 / 291 (both are in there)

That Omnivision isn't one I've seen mentioned on here before - @jokiin is that one you've heard of before?

The sensor says it can do 60fps at 4k but Blackvue only initialise it for 30 of 25fps - presumable because they're also using the rear channel.

Last edited:
OV sensor wouldn't be my first choice but it may come down to what sensors the SDK supports at this time, pixels are almost 50% smaller than the Sony so should do better at night from the rear channel than the front, the front sensor is the basically the same spec as the OV4689 but a bit larger surface error so will probably give similar results to what can be achieved by cameras that use that sensor, not as good as the Sony but still pretty decent, assuming they have the IQ tuning sorted, not sure that's really their strong point though

Last edited:
Reading into HiSilicon Hi3559 the max it can support 4K@30 fps+1080p@30 fps or 1440p@60 fps+1080p@30 fps H.265 encoding So it seems that BlackVue has no way to make the DR900S at 4k at 60FPS but maybe it can be at 2k 144p at 60fps.

Honestly pretty excited to see what BlackVue has planned for it. So far I like what I'm seeing as details are great.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

So, by results, I now think that dr900 not last 4k model from blackvue in this year. Maybe specific marketing strategy. Think possible wait some like dr950s with 8mpx starvis (possible imx274)

So, by results, I now think that dr900 not last 4k model from blackvue in this year. Maybe specific marketing strategy. Think possible wait some like dr950s with 8mpx starvis (possible imx274)

:censored::censored:

haha jkjk we have no clue, it'll be awesome to see for sure!

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

I’ll admit I’m impressed with videos I’ve seen thus far but for my needs I need to wait until either blackvue or someone allows for 256gb support on a 4k cam. I’m sure in time it’ll happen but until then, my A119 Pro will remain my in use cam. When I do eventually look for a 4k upgrade I’ll definitely be buying from BlackBoxMyCar if they have it because they are a great company with great support. I preordered my Cellink Neo from them and love it, can’t wait for the expansion pack to come out for it. Let me know @BlackboxMyCar , I want to get on that pre order list, lol.

I’ll admit I’m impressed with videos I’ve seen thus far but for my needs I need to wait until either blackvue or someone allows for 256gb support on a 4k cam. I’m sure in time it’ll happen but until then, my A119 Pro will remain my in use cam. When I do eventually look for a 4k upgrade I’ll definitely be buying from BlackBoxMyCar if they have it because they are a great company with great support. I preordered my Cellink Neo from them and love it, can’t wait for the expansion pack to come out for it. Let me know @BlackboxMyCar , I want to get on that pre order list, lol.

For sure @JohnnyMnemonic for any new releases I like to give users of DCT and RDF some heads up and insider info. So if there's any news for the NEO expansion I will let you know.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Back