Blackvue dr900s problem

Hyundai kona 2024

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
thinkware t700 lte
Set up dr900s in my car and noticed after a while the front camera was getting very hot ( not good)
Also noticed the the sound on the camera was very quite even though it was turned up on full on the settings.
( no I don’t need hearing aids)

Now have had to remove from car and return to retailer not happy.

Wasted another day and go all through the return procedures

Getting hot is normal for these cameras. I have three BlackVue cameras in my car, (DR900S-2CH, DR650S-2CH and DR750LW-2CH) and they all get hot, sometimes very hot especially if you park your car in open sun when your camera is running. I see you are from the UK, so I don't suspect you get as hot there as where I live in Florida, USA, however.

As far as the audio goes, are you referring to the audio in playback being low or the audio coming from the camera during boot-up, e.g. when the voice states, "Blackvue for your safe driving. Starting normal recording." (It's sad I have this memorized.) I too think this is somewhat lower compared to my DR650S camera but suspect that this is just the way it is in the DR900S models.

I hope you had the retailer check the camera out before totally uninstalling it.

As in hot I mean if you kept your hand on it you would burn your self hot.
I brought the camera through amazon so hopefully there won’t be a problem returning it.
Do you think the blackveiw 750 would be a better option?.
Thanks for your reply

Yes, I have had my DR900S this hot as well and from what I have been told, and read, this is normal, not a malfunction. Of course, as said, my camera is exposed to direct sunlight during the day as well which will increase the heat but will not effect the camera operation. As I believe, the DR900S does have a safety feature that when the camera reaches an extreme heat point, it shuts itself down.

The DR750LW is no longer in production but is still available. The company I purchase my camera's from is The Dash Cam Store which is in Austin, Texas, USA. They are fantastic to work with and their prices are comparable. (I paid $431.99 USD for my DR900S-2CH.) Their customer support is top-notch and they stand behind what they sell with reasonable expectations, of course.

You may want to drop them a line via their "Contact" link on their website. If you do, you will probably be conversing with a gentleman named Andrew. You can ask him what their policy / procedure, etc. for International shipping is. Mention that I, (Steve Flanigan from Florida) referred you to their company. I can't guarantee any price breaks, but you never know.)

Indeed dash cameras can get almighty hot, and yes excessive temperatures are not good for anything in the long run, but dashcams should be made with this in mind.
It is also why running parking mode with a car parked in the hot summer sun probably will push the camera over the thermal shutdown temperature.
Just sitting the sun will bring the temperature of a black camera up really high, starting to record can add to this, not least in my case driving a cheapo car with no aircon, still i have never seen a thermal shutdown in my car.
But i have felt pretty warm cameras indeed, some so hot you surely would not peel them off the mount and stick them down in your underwear, meaning just bearable when touching them with a part of you with thick skin.
The temperture issue are also one reason why dashcams run such moderate bitrates.
I have for the past year been running a camera with a modified firmware at 40 mbit, wayyyy past the stock 18 mbit, and i have not yet seen it shut down, but this year are also the first actual summer for that camera at those settings, last year i cant count as a summer as 2017 was pretty bad over here in Denmark.

I am hoping for dashcams with remote cameras will get the option at least of running higher bitrates, as that i feel should be doable when the main unit will not see any direct sunlight and having a larger heat sink should be possible.
But so far i have not seen any indications towards that from the brands that are working on dashcams with remote cameras.

Reactions: RLS
Mine gets very warm as well but no issues to report because of it. I live in Florida and it does get really hot here. As far as the voice prompts, I have mine cranked all the way up as well and it is not very loud, but I don’t see that as a issue. Oh, PS, i’m 72 and hard of hearing. :eek:

Can somebody help please?I'm having an awful "constant" very loud noise on each recorded files when the camera is powered from my external battery (b-112) both cam records this strange noise!
When its recorded from the cars battery this noise is NOT there.(just through the external battery (b-112)
my setup is 900s 2 ch,b112,magic pro,blackvue 128gb card

you will hear 2 noise on top of each other in this track!
1st is the main which is there all long the track ( the one I'm complaining about)
2nd is "I think" when the footage is actually writing on the card (you will hear 2 times during the track)

addicional info:
This track is saved from a footage I recorded in parking mod at 2 am in complete silence in and around the car so this is NOT an external recorded noise or engine noise!
I can hear the same noise by the way just by my ears sitting in the car when its very quiet (early morning) like an old video camera with rolling film.

Many thanks for every suggestion or more importantly solutions!
Lee

Attachments

• 900snoise.zip
    779.3 KB · Views: 18
Back