BlackVue DR900S -- The Fish Eye Effect

Omega-TI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
One does not really notice it much traveling down roads or in the city, but when you get into wide open spaces, that curve of the sky is really quite pronounced.

Last edited:
That look pretty much like any place on the West coast of Jutland, where in may places you can also drive, actually some idiot ran over a woman's arm in June.

blokhus_114_badehuse-strand_1.jpg

But back OT, yes this warping of strait lines are a unfortunate effect of wide angle lenses, and dewarp are also incorporated in most camera chips today, and also in most video edit software.
I would assume cameras with 2 channels also support dewarp, but i am not sure if it can be individual tuned to each lens in the system.

That can be solved completely by adjusting the lens angle so that the horizon is exactly half way up the image.

But then half your video frame is dedicated to low flying aircraft and in their absence, sky.

One never knows when an airplane might drop onto your newly-polished Lambo :ROFLMAO:

Being that traffic signals here are often only high in the view, I prefer 40% sky and 60% below horizon, which seems to work well with all the various cams I have. Too much sky causes the auto-exposure to go too low in bright conditions, leaving the vid recording too dark and lacking in details it could have captured.

Phil

But then half your video frame is dedicated to low flying aircraft and in their absence, sky.
In the OP there is a low flying seagull, far more interesting than the huge expanse of dash!

Some people may have a "thing" for dashboards, and we should not judge them for that. But if they have a "thing" for seagulls, I'm already worried about them :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Phil;

Some people may have a "thing" for dashboards, and we should not judge them for that. But if they have a "thing" for seagulls, I'm already worried about them :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Phil;
I was expecting someone to point out that it is a "dashcam", you've done better :cool:

Yeah, I've never messed with the camera angle after it was installed. Maybe I'll nudge it up a little bit more. Actually I'm more concerned with the license plate of any vehicle that may run into me in the future. I'm sure less dash would be an improvement! @Nigel I loved the dashcam joke.

I adjusted the camera up a little. Next time something interesting shows up and is recorded I'll see how it looks. What SawMaster said about the auto-exposure is an issue though, especially in the evening when the sun is blasting in my face and I'm forced to put down the blinder just to see the road.

Back