Blackvue DR900X-2CH bad video quality for the price

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess it's no secret the Blackvue DR900X-2CH has been judged to provide bad video quality for its high price; it has been stated in more than one publication (https://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr900x-2ch/ ; https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/blackvue-dr900x-2ch/ ). If you are, for example, trying to make out license plates from a distance over about 50' (that's only about 3 car lengths away), you shouldn't count on this dashcam unless you happen to have ALL the following factors on your favor: (1) You have outfitted the dashcam with BlackVue's optional and pricey dashcam filter, (2) it is not a cloudy day (and if it's a rainy day, cut your expectations even further, at least, by 50%), (3) the sun is either behind you (best) or, at least, above you (not so good); the sun in front of you is the worst scenario. The problem I perceive is not that you CAN only make out license plates partially; it's that you CANNOT make them out at all. It seems to me a possible solution to this is limitation would be using an 8K dashcam. If you want to use this dashcam for evidence of accident, then the dashcam may be a good choice. But if the driver at fault gets away, forget depending on this cam because you will likely not get the license plate from this cam. This is based on personal experience. So, going back to depending on your own eyes and pen and paper seems to me a better option. Perhaps human eyes have better resolution that a 4K dashcam? It's been reported (https://www.discovery.com/science/mexapixels-in-human-eye ) the human eye has a resolution of 576 MPs (note: "Mega"), many times over even an 8K (note: "Kilo") video dashcam, though, admittedly, the eye's resolution diminishes to as low as 5 MPs under certain circumstances. Still, the eye's lowest resolution (5 MPs) is many orders of magnitude better that the best resolution dashcams out there (4Ks). In short, Any thoughts on any of these personal reflections / disappointments?

Last edited:
Admittedly, after reading "user" reviews (v. paid reviews) and seeing a bit of my footage, I'm also disappointed with the 900x. I'm on my 2nd 900x after my first one overheated and created unusable footage.
I paid (a lot) for and expected some very good footage, but that's not the case. The resolution is good, but don't try to zoom. I also bought the CPL filter; however, I have good ceramic tinted windshield and rear glass, the CPL filter interfered with the video quality.

On the good side: very good parking mode and built in voltage sensor. WiFi and cloud connectivity is good. Good sensitivity adjustments on both normal driving and parking.

If anyone has a 750S or 900S - this is NOT a good upgrade. For anyone running a 1080 video camera, this isn't bad, but too expensive for an upgrade. There are literally dozens of other good cameras out there that have a better VQ than the 900x.

Admittedly, after reading "user" reviews (v. paid reviews) and seeing a bit of my footage, I'm also disappointed with the 900x. I'm on my 2nd 900x after my first one overheated and created unusable footage.
I paid (a lot) for and expected some very good footage, but that's not the case. The resolution is good, but don't try to zoom. I also bought the CPL filter; however, I have good ceramic tinted windshield and rear glass, the CPL filter interfered with the video quality.

On the good side: very good parking mode and built in voltage sensor. WiFi and cloud connectivity is good. Good sensitivity adjustments on both normal driving and parking.

If anyone has a 750S or 900S - this is NOT a good upgrade. For anyone running a 1080 video camera, this isn't bad, but too expensive for an upgrade. There are literally dozens of other good cameras out there that have a better VQ than the 900x.
Thanks. I just realized I missed a link, so I just added it in after I read your comment.

Back