BlackVue DR900X Plus changed parking mode settings on its own. EEEK

Ralph, I share your concern about a parking mode failure causing a depleted battery. I think the easiest solution, and also failsafe, is to use a mechanical SPDT switch wired as follows:
  • Hardwire the Red wire so it is always connected to an Accessory fuse that switches on/off with the ignition.
  • Wire the Yellow wire so that the SPDT switch connects it to an always ON fuse (battery) in #1 position, and to the Accessory fuse (with the Red wire) in #2 position.
Switch position #1 enables Parking Mode (Red -> Acc, Yellow -> Battery).
Switch position #2 disables Parking Mode(Red -> Acc, Yellow -> Acc). The camera only powers up when the key is ON, and power is completely removed from the camera when the key is OFF.
I said the same thing in few words in post #10 above. Since then there have been numerous lengthy posts... I believe what you are suggesting will indeed work.SmartSelect_20220429-205247_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ralph, I share your concern about a parking mode failure causing a depleted battery. I think the easiest solution, and also failsafe, is to use a mechanical SPDT switch wired as follows:
  • Hardwire the Red wire so it is always connected to an Accessory fuse that switches on/off with the ignition.
  • Wire the Yellow wire so that the SPDT switch connects it to an always ON fuse (battery) in #1 position, and to the Accessory fuse (with the Red wire) in #2 position.
Switch position #2 disables Parking Mode(Red -> Acc, Yellow -> Acc). The camera only powers up when the key is ON, and power is completely removed from the camera when the key is OFF.
That should work. The "Battery protection" feature must be enabled so that switch position #1 will allow the dash cam to entire native parking mode (immediate entry to / exit from parking mode), otherwise the dash cam will power down when the accessory power is turned off with the ignition switch.

Switch position #2 will disable the native parking mode by the fact that all power will be removed when the accessory power is shut off (just like when using the cigarette power adapter). It won't disable motion based parking mode. There might still be times when the vehicle is stationary for 5-minutes that it will will enter parking mode and it will exit parking mode when the vehicle starts moving again. That happens somewhat rarely while driving a vehicle around, but it can happen.

Another option might be to continue to use the PMP with its toggle switch. Power the DR900X-2CH Plus with the included cigarette port power adapter. The downside to this approach is you won't have native parking mode (immediate entry to / exit from parking mode), but you'll still have motion based parking mode. In this configuration, the PMP is still monitoring the vehicle's battery level, so you could turn off the "Battery protection" feature in the DR900X Plus dash cam. Just another approach to this issue, since you already have the PMP.

Thanks, don't suppose you could add a quick sketch showing wires to terminals.. I can not envision it from your instructions.. they make sense until I actually try to picture it.

Another option might be to continue to use the PMP with its toggle switch. Power the DR900X-2CH Plus with the included cigarette port power adapter. The downside to this approach is you won't have native parking mode (immediate entry to / exit from parking mode), but you'll still have motion based parking mode. In this configuration, the PMP is still monitoring the vehicle's battery level, so you could turn off the "Battery protection" feature in the DR900X Plus dash cam. Just another approach to this issue, since you already have the PMP.
Had I realized the problem I would have pulled the PMP from the car that I traded in, now it's probably in some landfill.

Thanks, don't suppose you could add a quick sketch showing wires to terminals.. I can not envision it from your instructions.. they make sense until I actually try to picture it.

Here's a quick schematic of this switch configuration in TinyCad (which I'm not an expert user of yet).

I used the color scheme used by the BlackVue 3-wire harness throughout this schematic.

The switch's "A" connector is the output (aka common terminal) of the switch. The "A" terminal is connected to the yellow (BATT+) wire of the BlackVue 3-wire harness. The "A" terminal is connected to the "B" terminal or "C" terminal based on the position of the switch.

dr900x_plus_spdt_switch.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's it exactly, thanks @rcg530
My only concern, not having tested it, there could be a transient condition when switching. It might momentarily go into Parking Mode when the BATT+ line is switched.

Last edited:
Yes, that's it exactly, thanks @rcg530
My only concern, not having tested it, is there could be a transient condition when switching. It might momentarily go into Parking Mode when the BATT+ line is switched.
It might power down when the BATT+ power is removed/changed since the BATT+ to the DR900X Plus is what powers the DR900X Plus.

I have a DPST on/off rocker switch in the power feed wires from my dash cam battery pack to the dash cam. I use that switch to turn off all power (BATT+ and ACC+) to the dash cam when I arrive home and I don't want the dash cam to record in parking mode while parked at home in my garage. When I leave home on my next drive in that car, I turn on the DPST switch to allow the dash cam to get power to operate. I could get away with using a SPST rocker switch (in the BATT+ power feed), but I wanted to make sure that all power wires were disconnected from whatever dash cam I have connected to the circuit at that time.

Specific to my dash camera reviewing requirements:

To make things "easier" for me when I install a different dash cam to review, the wires after the switch (plus the ground) I have the same molex connector used on the output port of the dash cam battery pack (I created a video about those connectors recently). My dash cam battery packs are in the trunk of my car (car battery and main fuse box are in the trunk). I've already run the wiring from the trunk to the front headliner/windshield area of my car and that's where I have the DPST rocker switches. When I get a new dash cam to review, I add the molex connector that would plug into the dash cam battery pack to the wires from the dash camera wiring harness. I then plug the dash cam wiring molex connector into the molex connector attached to the output of the DPST rocker switch. That allows me to install a new dash cam in about 10 minutes instead of routing wires through my car each time.

dr900x_plus_dpst_switch.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the support and schematics. I was hoping for a.. (sorry to be a pain) here is a SPDT switch and wire it this way. Schematics make sense on paper but when it comes to the actual soldering.. I get confused.
s 1651409935881.png

The center terminal is almost always the "common". Each outer terminal connects and disconnects to common individually according to the switch-lever position.

Phil

I haven't read all the comments, but I did notice now that when I flip my DIY switch ON, the camera no longer turns ON if the car is OFF.

I could've sworn it used to turn ON, even if the car is OFF, before I updated the firmware. ( I am now on v1.008)

If the car is already ON and I flip the switch ON, the camera comes ON just fine. Parking mode works as expected.

Yet, the camera stays ON when I turn OFF the car. (I am not sure how that is possible)

I have mine hardwired to a Cellink B Battery pack, its working and fully charged.

Something has changed in the firmware.

I haven't read all the comments, but I did notice now that when I flip my DIY switch ON, the camera no longer turns ON if the car is OFF.

I could've sworn it used to turn ON, even if the car is OFF, before I updated the firmware. ( I am now on v1.008)

If the car is already ON and I flip the switch ON, the camera comes ON just fine. Parking mode works as expected.
My Configuration:
  • DR900X-2CH Plus with firmware v1.008 installed.
  • Parking Mode = Time-Lapse
  • Battery Protection = Enabled
  • Low Voltage Cut-Off = 11.8 Volts (due to being connected to a dash camera battery pack)
  • Cellink B Battery Pack or BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 or DC 12-volt power supply running at 12.6 volts for testing purposes
My Results:
  • Car "Off" - Battery Power Present (before switch) / Accessory Power Not Present
    • Switching on "Battery" power results in no powering up of the dash cam.
    • For the BlackVue X series dash cameras, both the battery and accessory power must be present to power up the dash camera
    • Now, if you start your car, the restoration of the accessory power (via the dash cam battery pack) should now allow the dash camera to power up
  • Car "On" - Battery Power Present (before switch) / Accessory Power Present
    • Switching on "Battery" power results in the dash cam powering up since both battery and accessory power are present

My Configuration:
  • DR900X-2CH Plus with firmware v1.008 installed.
  • Parking Mode = Time-Lapse
  • Battery Protection = Enabled
  • Low Voltage Cut-Off = 11.8 Volts (due to being connected to a dash camera battery pack)
  • Cellink B Battery Pack or BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 or DC 12-volt power supply running at 12.6 volts for testing purposes
My Results:
  • Car "Off" - Battery Power Present (before switch) / Accessory Power Not Present
    • Switching on "Battery" power results in no powering up of the dash cam.
    • For the BlackVue X series dash cameras, both the battery and accessory power must be present to power up the dash camera
    • Now, if you start your car, the restoration of the accessory power (via the dash cam battery pack) should now allow the dash camera to power up
  • Car "On" - Battery Power Present (before switch) / Accessory Power Present
    • Switching on "Battery" power results in the dash cam powering up since both battery and accessory power are present

I honestly could've sworn my camera would power up when flipped the switch ON, even if the car was OFF. I will check older firmware. :LOL:

It's weird that both the battery and accessory power must be present to power up the dash camera, but losing ACC power only triggers parking mode. :unsure:

I honestly could've sworn my camera would power up when flipped the switch ON, even if the car was OFF. I will check older firmware. :LOL:
I've observed some non BlackVue dash cameras that use a 12-volt to 5-volt power adapter would behave in the manner you mentioned, but I can't say I've ever observed a BlackVue X Plus series (3 wire capable) dash camera behaving in that manner.

It's weird that both the battery and accessory power must be present to power up the dash camera, but losing ACC power only triggers parking mode. :unsure:
The cigarette lighter power adapter provides power to both the "battery" power and "accessory" power connectors on the power plug that plugs into the BlackVue X Plus series (3 wire capable) dash cameras.

It is my understanding that the accessory power is used only as a "state" switch in the operation of the dash camera. It is not used to power the dash camera.

One might think that if the accessory power is off and the battery (constant) power is switched on, that the dash camera might boot up and enter parking mode. That sort of logic does not appear to be present in the BlackVue firmware.
  • If parking mode is enabled
    • "Battery Protection" is disabled in the firmware settings
      • The dash camera will power down when the accessory power is removed.
    • "Battery Protection" is enabled in the firmware settings - Along with a proper low voltage cutoff value for your installation/situation
      • The dash camera enter the selected parking mode when the accessory power is removed.
      • ** Annoyingly ** the dash camera will also enter parking mode if the vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes with the accessory power still being on.
        • I've been asking Pittasoft to add a firmware setting to allow the user to disable motion based parking mode when you have a 3-wire configuration

** Annoyingly ** the dash camera will also enter parking mode if the vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes with the accessory power still being on.

Yeah. I've actually gotten used to that now. :LOL:

Question, if you have a battery pack, why even care about setting voltage cut off?

BlackVue needs to do three things :

1. Add a separate option for "Parking Mode" : On/Off (no parking mode if OFF)
2. Add two options under "Parking Mode" Wired/Motion (select parking mode type )
3. Make "Battery Protection" have no influence on parking mode (just be about battery protection).

Question, if you have a battery pack, why even care about setting voltage cut off?
In the BlackVue X Plus dash camera case, when you enable "Battery protection" that also enables/allows you to select the "Low voltage cut-off" settings and the "Cut-off timer" settings.

I just looked at the "Low voltage cut-off" settings popup panel in the BlackVue app and in the SD Card Viewer's Firmware > System panel. You can toggle on/off both the "Low voltage cut-off" and "Cut-off timer" settings. I set the top level setting of "Battery protection" to "On" and both the "Low voltage cut-off" and "Cut-off timer" settings to "Off". I then tested whether the DR900X-2CH Plus would enter parking mode when the accessory power was turned off and it did. I don't know if I've simply not seen the "On/Off" setting for the "Low voltage cut-off" setting or it was added at some point.

If you have a dash camera battery pack providing the power to the dash camera, you only need to turn on the "Battery protection" top level feature along with selecting a parking mode type other than "Off" (Firmware > Basic > Recording > Parking mode recording) to get instantaneous enter/exit to/from the selected parking mode.

I just ran the following tests with a DR900X-2CH Plus dash camera with firmware 1.008 installed with the assumption that it's powered by a dash camera battery pack:
  • Battery Protection = On, "Low voltage cut-off" = Off, "Cut-off timer" = Off
    • Parking mode recording = "Motion & Impact detection" or "Time lapse"
      • Accessory power switched On-to-Off
        • Dash camera immediately enters selected parking mode
      • Accessory power is restored (Off-to-On)
        • Dash camera immediately exits parking mode and resumes normal recording mode
    • Parking mode recording = "Off"
        • Dash camera powers down
        • Dash camera powers up and enters normal recording mode
When the "Battery protection" setting is "Off", the dash camera always powers off when the accessory power is turned off. Here are those test results.
  • Battery Protection = Off, Both of the following settings are disabled in this situation "Low voltage cut-off", Cut-off timer"
    • Parking mode recording = "Off", "Motion & Impact detection" or "Time lapse"
        • Dash camera powers down
        • Dash camera powers up and enters normal recording mode
BlackVue needs to do three things :

1. Add a separate option for "Parking Mode" : On/Off (no parking mode if OFF)
(Firmware > Basic > Recording > Parking mode recording) has three settings "Off", "Motion & Impact detection" and "Time lapse"

2. Add two options under "Parking Mode" Wired/Motion (select parking mode type )
Yes, I agree an additional setting either for the type of parking mode or a toggle to enable/disable motion based parking mode. I've been asking for this one from Pittasoft for some time now.

3. Make "Battery Protection" have no influence on parking mode (just be about battery protection).
I believe they're trying to make you have settings in place that will help protect your vehicle's battery if you're powering the dash camera with the vehicle's battery. I've had more than a few questions about BlackVue X Plus series dash cameras simply turning off when the accessory power is turned off and there is a parking mode selection of other than "Off". In almost every situation, it was because the "Battery protection" feature was disabled (Off) in the firmware settings.

Last edited:
I want to say a "Thank You" to all of you, for all this valuable information wiring a Blackvue 900 Plus. I just purchased a new SUV, and I'm considering this dashcam based on Vortex Radar's review. Still on the fence about the Viofo 129 Pro.
It will be my first dashcam using a backup battery for extended parking......

Back