BoomTIP

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m curious if anyone has had any issues with the Blackvue DR900X Plus 2CH overheating in high temperature climates (over 100F degrees). I’ve searched around and found many users had issues with the DR900S, but there doesn’t seem much out there regarding the newest version.

Background: I live in Phoenix Arizona where our summers frequently reach 110F, and occasionally 115-120F. I currently have a Viofo A129 Pro Duo and it’s automatic high temperature shutoff has basically made it useless from June through September, which is obviously not a good situation…

I understand 4K dashcams run hotter than FHD cams, but I’m really hoping the new DR900X Plus has improved cooling enough to actually survive my summers.

I also plan on getting a Blendmount so it’s mounted just behind my mirror, and not directly on the windshield - and in addition to this, I’m going to be using a sunshade in the summer which will block/protect the dashcam (defeating the purpose of parking mode, but hopefully that reduces thermal stresses on it).

I have a feeling I need to just get the DR750X Plus 2CH since it has a higher heat tolerance, but I am really not impressed with the FHD quality

I think I responded to your Reddit post a few days ago...

Just in case I'm off base:

I live in Tucson.
Have a DR900X (2+ years) in one car and a DR900X Plus in the other (1 year).
Blendmounts for both, and I always use a sunshade as well.
FWIW, have experienced zero problems so far with front or rear cams.

Excellent, that’s good to know, thanks a bunch for the response!

Yeah, that was me as well on Reddit lol trying to get as much information on this as possible!

Wanted to update this post…

I’ve heard from quite a few that they haven’t had issues with their DR900X Plus’s in heat, so that’s awesome and I went ahead and purchased it.

Because I live in an inferno between May thru September, I’m still taking some precautions. These include using a Blendmount which I hope reduces direct heat from the windshield and produces a bit of shade from my rearview mirror housing, as well as modifying my Covercraft UVS100 sunshade so it can protect the dashcam in the summer when needed.

C3D1E6DE-4726-4097-A3CC-871FF6E2B5D4.jpeg 815AAA46-53C5-4508-97B0-004FD523F0CD.jpeg
000E4DC6-2231-427D-9DA7-2CCF89068A5C.jpeg F7BB74EA-B65D-402A-B4FE-362049C74F28.jpeg
E4FA55A0-9697-44CE-BA1F-754F97562B96.jpeg 5EF06CA9-672E-4557-838F-FA8E8A922A2D.jpeg

I have a 2020 Durango. The housing under the rearview, the mirror, and the Blendmount are all identical to yours.

Lo and behold, we both solved the problem the same way: Two years ago

It's awesome how that housing serves as a convenient sunshade.

I have the same sunshade as well. I thought about notching mine like you did, but decided not too in the end. Mostly so that parking mode wasn't unusable in the summer.

Two years in, haven't had any heat-related problems.

I suppose we'll have to see what happens long-term. If nothing else, I can serve as your control group!

I have a 2020 Durango. The housing under the rearview, the mirror, and the Blendmount are all identical to yours.

Lo and behold, we both solved the problem the same way: Two years ago

It's awesome how that housing serves as a convenient sunshade.

I have the same sunshade as well. I thought about notching mine like you did, but decided not too in the end. Mostly so that parking mode wasn't unusable in the summer.

Two years in, haven't had any heat-related problems.

I suppose we'll have to see what happens long-term. If nothing else, I can serve as your control group!
Hah, they are identical! Great minds think alike. That definitely serves as a boost of confidence.

Before this I had a Viofo A129 Pro Duo for two years, and in that time I went through two cameras because of heat. Turns out, they were working “normally” but because of the heat they produced and the heat in Arizona, they would shutoff at stupid low ambient temperatures, about 90F. Needless to say I’m now paranoid lol

I’ll probably end up using my sunshade to protect it this summer, but if there’s no issues (which I suspect will be the case based on everyone’s experiences) I’ll go back to using parking mode normally the next summer.

Back