Blackvue dr900x plus owners thoughts on cpl filter

ajnuzzi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a freshly installed dr900x plus 2 channel set up in my 18 Silverado and the glare is driving me nuts. I did order a suede dash mat to give that a shot but I pretty sure I'm not gonna be keen on the aesthetics of the mat. I have the cpl filter and it works decent once rotated to the correct orientation. Is every really removing their cpl filters at dusk and then putting them back on in the morning? That just seems so inconvenient! Curious what others' thoughts are on just leaving the thing on at night. I haven't owned my camera long enough to really do any comparisons on and off - besides its so flimsy I don't like putting it on and off, I'm afraid I'm going to break it, the lens already fell out once on me.

I have two of the BlackVue CPL filters for the DR750X/DR750X Plus/DR900X/DR900X Plus and past models with similar form factors (DR900S, DR750S, DR650S, DR650GW). I've used them with the DR750X Plus and DR900S/DR900X (non Plus and Plus) cameras.

The two CPL retention clips that hold CPL filter on the camera body are challenging to remove/install based on the user manual's installation instructions of placing the filter in front of the front camera body and then spreading the retention clips over the camera body.

1661454511090.png
I use a different method. I slide the filter on to the end of the front camera body and then pull it slightly forward so the CPL filter's retention clips are only spread open a much smaller amount than the user manual method. That approach makes it somewhat easier to install/remove and might reduce the chance of breaking the CPL retention clips in the long run.

The DR900X Plus already records darker video at night than DR750X Plus, so the addition of a CPL filter may make the DR900X Plus front camera nighttime video slightly too dark. I tend to leave the CPL filter on the front dash camera body day or night. If you're going on a longer nighttime drive you may wan to consider removing the CPL filter for that driving session. If you use my modified installation/removal approach, it will make it easier to install/remove the CPL filter. Just make sure you have a good clean location to store it when not installed on the dash camera.

I hope that helps!

Back