Blackvue/Thinkware or Custom Setup?

Cheapo911

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
TaoTronics TT-CD05
Looking for a new dash cam setup and curious what you guys think of these 2 solutions.

Ideally I would like the system to have

1. High battery capacity to record while the vehicle is off and may not have moved for a few days, without draining the battery including a voltage shut off.
2. Some way to record motion when the vehicle is off.
3. Front and rear recording capabilities.

I currently have a Tao Tronics TT-CD05 plugged into the cigarette outlet, and if that car sits for roughly 3 days with it plunged in (connection is always hot to the camera) with the camera only recording motion in my parking garage the car will die. So here are my 2 ideas.

The first is pretty straight forward, I can go with a Blackvue or Thinkware system (650 or 770) that will have a front and rear camera, and I can buy the extra battery pack (Cell link or Power Magic). Tried and true solution, has extra battery and voltage cutoff. However quite an expensive solution at around $650 with not the best video quality.

The second solution would be to buy a second Tao Tronics TT-CD05 to mount in the rear of the car, buy an Anker 10-20,000 mAh to plug both cameras into, and plug the Anker battery into the 12v source with some sort of voltage shutoff. This would be much more affordable at ~$150 with arguably better video quality and potentially longer recording time due to the higher battery capacity. 2 issues with this solution are finding some sort of device that could cut power below a certain voltage and seeing if the battery pack could charge quick enough while outputting 2 5v 1.4 amp lines to the cameras. Which route would you guys go? Thanks!

(also I'm aware of recordings being overwritten after 12-24 hours, depending on how much motion the camera detects. I do plan on using either 64 or 128gb cards with the Tao Tronics, probably 64 with the other setup).

Any opinions, anyone? I'm sure I'm not the first to debate doing a custom system like this.

your current camera has an internal battery, running it while the car is off isn't a good idea, not the right tool for the job

your current camera has an internal battery, running it while the car is off isn't a good idea, not the right tool for the job

What do you mean by that? I think the battery in my current camera essentially functions as a capacitor as it wont run for more than 10 sec when taken off power.

It has a lipo battery, not something you want to be powering for hours on end, particularly in the warmer months

Back