BlackVue Viewer

cookoo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DR650S-1CH
Bought and installed DR650S-1CH a fortnight ago. Have to say I am impressed with the video quality.
I have the following hiccups with the BlackVue Viewer 1.09 though:
Operating system: Windows 7, and Windows 10 (on two separate PC)
Dashcam firmware: 1.006

Trying to view the video files on the memory card using the viewer 1.09, the image was good, but the GPS map tracking does not synch with the video. I notice the tracking marker only moves upon switching to a new "NF" file. That is, the marker jumps to a spot on the map only when the viewer switches to a new file. I also notice that the marker seems to jump to the last GPS point of that file. So between the start and end of the file, the marker stays on the same spot of the map.

To diagnose the issue further, I downloaded and installed the legacy viewer 2.58-hd-e on the same PCs and use it to view the files. The tracking marker moves smoothly along with the video display - that is what is expected.

Not sure if this is a software bug of 1.09? Or it is an issue of my Windows environment (note, the same issue on Windows 7 and Windows 10 respectively)? Has anyone in this forum experienced this issue?

My solution at the moment is to keep both the 1.09 (for compatibility with firmware 1.006) and the Cloud feature, and the 2.58 for viewing the files in synch with GPS tracking (but lack of Cloud and incapable of maintaining the 1.006 firmware parameters).

Can anyone shed some light?

Last edited:
I think the computer app v1.09 has issues.

The macOS version won't even run on either of my macs. Crashes out immediately. Yet v1.08 works fine.

Yeah, I was trying to search for this 1.08 from BlackVue download site but couldn't see where it is hiding. Will ask their tech support if they can shoot me one.

Meanwhile I will just have to use the legacy 2.58 viewer, although it won't allow me to edit the latest firmware (v1.006) setting on the SD card - for this I have to use the viewer 1.09. Quite annoying, isn't it? Looks like I am using a bandaged tool, given that I have such high expectation to this product (which I still hold).

Hope their tech support is not letting us down. Thanks for your shining light anyway.

Will keep everyone posted once I heard from them.

Yeah, I was trying to search for this 1.08 from BlackVue download site but couldn't see where it is hiding. Will ask their tech support if they can shoot me one.
Pull v1.08 from your microSD card that's in the camera. Alternately download camera firmward v1.006 and extract the viewer software from the folder structure.

I'll give the v1.10 viewer a try tonight.

Here are the results of my testing...
1. Install the Viewer 1.08 from the firmware 1.006 (BlackVue\Application\Viewer for Windows\BlackVueSetup v1.08.exe).
2. Copy the NF files (together with the other .gps, .thm, .3gf, .mp4 files of course) to a local directory on the Windows PC.
3. Run the Viewer.
4. Video was played fine, but the GPS tracking mark is not moving along with the driving. I am sure the GPS signal was captured with the footage (first, by examining the .gps file; second, the speed is changing on the video - otherwise it will show --km/h).

I even installed the same Viewer on two separe Windows PC with 64-bit and 32-bit platforms (for the tech savy, the BlackVue Viewer is a 32-bit application). Same issue.

I installed the same Viewer on a Windows 10, 64-bit PC. Same issue.

Don't know what else I can do. For those who run this on a Mac PC, you are the lucky ones - I assume you do not have this issue?

If I installed the Viewer 2.57 (i.e. the 'old' Viewer that comes with the firmware 1.05), I do not have this issue (i.e. the GPS tracking mark moves in synch with the driving). But then 2.57 (now BlackVue has 2.58 for download) does not have 'Cloud' option, nor does it allow to edit the firmware 1.006 parameters. What a shame of Pittasoft in relation to their software quality control :(

This is the tech support's reply as of June 28, 2017:

"...Please try to download the PC viewer on a different PC and observe if the same issue persists.

With Windows versions of the viewer from 1.09 to 1.10 there has been no reported issue related to its functionality. .."

What I interpret from this response is:
- We don't know why you have this issue, we don't want to know why, this is purely your problem. Bad luck mate.
- We are not able to document what the system requirements/restrictions are in order for the Viewer to function properly because we never tested it in your particular situation. You go and try and error yourself, and if it doesn't work, it is your fault. We have not heard any complaint from the Windows user (on v1.009), therefore we cannot be wrong.

I don't mind if Pittasoft publish their system requirements/restrictions so that we could match our PC to their requirements (if we want to use their product, that is). For some reason the legacy Viewer works, but not the "cloudy" one. What on earth have they changed (driver version, new plug-in, Windows bin path, runtime libraries... etc) that upsetted the functional stability from one version to the other? I can onlyl assume the techies in their lab are smart and innovative, but they are really lacking the software engineering disipline and quality control mentality, right? All these translate into very bad product marketing. Have they learned?

*shrug* v1.08 and v1.10 have worked just fine on my windows 10 PC.

The only trouble I've had was v1.09 on my macs. v1.10 fixed that crash-at-startup problem.

Just in case our forum viewers wonder why this thread has been silent for some time... that's because I have been communicating offline with the support team on this issue. And after almost a month's constant dialogue back and forth, with heaps of "try this, try that" and my 10 cents' worth of ideas, the R&D folks of BlackVue finally came up with a special cut of the viewer that fixed the issue. Although they have not revealed what the original cause of the issue was, but one thing for sure is that there is not one thing that I have to change on my PC (i.e. not likely to be caused by my own stupidity (although that does not imply that I am no stupid specie on this planet after all :) that would have upset the normal functioning of the viewer application. My PC environment might have been slightly different than that of the community of this forum though (judged by the fact that no one else has made the similar complaint). However, my expectation is that a piece of software should be able to work independent of any user environment (otherwise the software supplier should be clear about what specific system settings are required that the user has to meet). My own "uneducated" guess is that the program might have used some default configurations such as time-zone, character set/code, ...etc., which would have default to the same values in most PCs on earth, and mine is simply a bit "out of the ordinary" - maybe I do not belong to this world all along ! :)

Anyway, now the matter is resolved. I believe BlackVue will be incorporating the fixes together with any other updates in the next release of the PC Viewer application. My sincere thanks to the folks in the R&D and support desk for their relentless effort and pursue of the solution to this issue. All credits should go to the them.

Reactions: gpb
Hello all, I’m looking for a way to view my SD card video footage directly from my card onto my ipad or iphone. I have the BlackVue Viewer installed on my windows PC but I find it terribly inconvenient to investigate incidents while only using my PC. I need the ability to watch footage while at work on my iPad directly from the SD card or some sort of USB dongle, NOT the wifi option . Any suggestions?

Btw, I’ve already emailed Blackvue customer support but I expect some sort of automated non helpful reply when (or if) they respond.

Hello all, I’m looking for a way to view my SD card video footage directly from my card onto my ipad or iphone...
You have two problems to solve. The first is finding some sort of microSD card reader that works on iThings. I do not know if they exist, but hopefully you'll find something.
Once you get past that part, you'll find there's no Viewer app from BlackVue that works on iThings. Their app is for WiFi-based use only. But the good news is the video files are standard .mp4 format. Assuming iThings directly support mp4 (which I'd expect they do), you should be able to just open the raw video files from your microSD. You won't get GPS/g-force data (they're separate files).

Post back if you solve this. I'm sure others will be interested.

Brad.

Thanks for the speedy reply Brad.

I think you’re right. When I attempt to directly connect my BlackVue SD to my iPad the display went blank. Contrast that to a cheap $40 Chinese made camera ordered from Amazon I onced used years ago, I was able to import all of its video files to my iPad with no restrictions. I will troubleshoot with a few workarounds this week. I’m trying to find the jacka** who threw a lit cigarette butt on my car while it was parked at a friend’s apartment building.

To add: I’ll also troubleshoot with a Sandisk card. I know for certain that my ipad can read dashcam footage from Sandisk cards, just not sure if they will read after it’s been formatted by BlackVue software. I’ll report back. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you are at work you should be working, not looking at movies ROFL

You are lucky you dont work for me .LOL

Back