BlackVue X Plus Series Rear Camera - Dark Rear Video

Very noticeable in the last pic. Do the firmwares play any part in exposure?
@rcg530 mentioned above that he gets the same results no matter which firmware is used.

However, he also mentioned that in a prior firmware (like with DR750 2ch LTE) the firmware had a settings adjustment for rear cam exposure level. - - One would hope that Blackvue/Pittasoft reintroduces that exposure adjustment in a future firmware upgrade!

Very noticeable in the last pic. Do the firmwares play any part in exposure?
I have not found any firmware release that fixes this issue for the three different models of dash cams that I have personally tested (DR900X Plus (1CH/2CH), DR750X Plus (1CH/2CH) and DR750X-3CH Plus).

It looks like any "X Plus" series dashcam which uses the RC110F rear camera appear to have the problem. The DR900X-2CH (not the Plus version) was the most recent dash cam I've tested which still has firmware settings for front/rear exposure settings and HDR.

When I first reviewed the DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam, I did not notice the underexposed rear video since I was reviewing it during the time of year in Northern California when the daytime skies were always clear and sunny. Clear and sunny skies seem to present the conditions when the problem is least likely to happen or least likely to be noticeable. Later in the year when more cloudy skies were present in my area is when I first noticed the darker rear camera video. That's when this now almost seven month long investigation began.

I have not found any firmware release that fixes this issue for the three different models of dash cams that I have personally tested (DR900X Plus (1CH/2CH), DR750X Plus (1CH/2CH) and DR750X-3CH Plus).

It looks like any "X Plus" series dashcam which uses the RC110F rear camera appear to have the problem. The DR900X-2CH (not the Plus version) was the most recent dash cam I've tested which still has firmware settings for front/rear exposure settings and HDR.

When I first reviewed the DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam, I did not notice the underexposed rear video since I was reviewing it during the time of year in Northern California when the daytime skies were always clear and sunny. Clear and sunny skies seem to present the conditions when the problem is least likely to happen or least likely to be noticeable. Later in the year when more cloudy skies were present in my area is when I first noticed the darker rear camera video. That's when this now almost seven month long investigation began.
I appreciate all your hard work on this issue. It's odd that Blackvue/Pittasoft seems to merely ignore your findings.

In my area of Northern California, the weather forecast says "clouds" over about 5 or 6 days of the upcoming week. I'll be sure to get some good test video of the rear dashcam performance and post here.

A couple more of examples of the underexposed rear camera video from a DR750X-3CH Plus and a DR750X-2CH Plus from my 15-Apr-2022 weekly shopping trip.

DR750X-2CH Plus examples

dr750x2chplus_20220415_092029.png

dr750x2chplus_20220415_094849.png

DR750X-3CH Plus examples

dr750x3chplus_20220415_092029.png

dr750x3chplus_20220415_094850.png

A couple more of examples of the underexposed rear camera video from a DR750X-3CH Plus and a DR750X-2CH Plus from my 15-Apr-2022 weekly shopping trip.

DR750X-2CH Plus examples

View attachment 60316

View attachment 60315

DR750X-3CH Plus examples

View attachment 60317

View attachment 60318
I'm assuming lots of people aren't having this problem or Pittasoft/Blackvue would be doing something to resolve the issue. Have you heard any mention from BV that they may reintroduce the "brightness setting"? Would that be difficult for BV to do with the firmware on those models that have the same rear dashcam? It seems all new model BV dashcams are using the exact same rear dashcam.

I'm assuming lots of people aren't having this problem or Pittasoft/Blackvue would be doing something to resolve the issue. Have you heard any mention from BV that they may reintroduce the "brightness setting"? Would that be difficult for BV to do with the firmware on those models that have the same rear dashcam? It seems all new model BV dashcams are using the exact same rear dashcam.
Most dash cam buyers look at the footage maybe a few times after installation and then forget about the dash cam until an incident happens.

I reviewed the numerous email chains I've had with Pittasoft about this issue and of the six dash cams I've had in my possession with the same RC110F rear camera (Qty 2 = DR900X-2CH Plus, Qty 2 DR750X-2CH Plus and Qty 2 DR750X-3CH Plus) all of them have resulted in underexposed daytime rear camera video. If the problem only happened with one or two dash cams, I'd could almost accept that it was a quality control issue with a limited number of rear cameras.

When I was reviewing the DR900X-2CH Plus, I didn't notice the issue since the daytime video, in most cases, was only slightly darker since the skies in my area were clear and sunny every day. A 100 percent defect rate is not a limited problem.

Pittasoft customer support has been "checking with their R&D department" for quite some time and that was their last statement to me on the issue on 7-Apr-2022.

Pittasoft removed the EV and HDR settings in an effort to reduce the complexity of the firmware for their dash cams, I don't believe they'll add those settings back. The logic for the DR750X Plus front camera with the exact same image sensor seems to work very well, so if it's a firmware logic issue they have an example of something that works.

I was driving with some Chevrolet SSR pickup owners going to a technical session at the home of one of the owners. There was one Chevy SSR in front of my car at a stop sign and one behind my car. There was a silver Honda sedan that just couldn't deal with the fact that we needed to stop at the stop sign. The driver passed us in the left turn lane and the made a right turn from the left turn lane without stopping and traveling at a high rate of speed. That driver then passed several vehicles on a narrow two lane road nearly hitting some cars on the other side.

Here's a front/rear DR750X-2CH Plus screen shot from the moment when the silver Honda broke several vehicle codes at the 4-way stop sign.

You can see the front camera video is brighter than the rear camera video (both cameras facing forward). Bright sunny/clear skies do not provoke the underexposure issue as much as cloudy skies do.

dr750x2chplus_20220423.jpg

Here's another overcast sky example from 22-Apr-2022. The rear camera video definitely is much darker than the front camera video.

dr750x2chplus_20220422.jpg

My technical contact at Pittasoft has been on vacation this past week. I hope to hear something from him in the next week.

I was driving with some Chevrolet SSR pickup owners going to a technical session at the home of one of the owners. There was one Chevy SSR in front of my car at a stop sign and one behind my car. There was a silver Honda sedan that just couldn't deal with the fact that we needed to stop at the stop sign. The driver passed us in the left turn lane and the made a right turn from the left turn lane without stopping and traveling at a high rate of speed. That driver then passed several vehicles on a narrow two lane road nearly hitting some cars on the other side.

Here's a front/rear DR750X-2CH Plus screen shot from the moment when the silver Honda broke several vehicle codes at the 4-way stop sign.

You can see the front camera video is brighter than the rear camera video (both cameras facing forward). Bright sunny/clear skies do not provoke the underexposure issue as much as cloudy skies do.

View attachment 60347

Here's another overcast sky example from 22-Apr-2022. The rear camera video definitely is much darker than the front camera video.

View attachment 60348

My technical contact at Pittasoft has been on vacation this past week. I hope to hear something from him in the next week.
Just curious which model dashcam are you using here? I realize this is a pic of video, which may explain lack of clarity, but one cannot even see the license plate of the truck directly in front of you. I hope you're not using the DR900X PLUS!

Btw thanks for all your hard work on the Blackvue rear dashcam video exposure!

Never understood why they took the option from the rear camera. Your test definitely shows how much darker it is.

Have you tested the 750x 2ch LTE Plus? The rear is slightly darker in the screenshot, but I have pretty dark tint on. I think of all the camera's you've tested and posted. The LTE Plus rear camera might have the best rear light exposure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-101458_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-101458_Photos.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220401-101435_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-101435_Photos.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 5
Just curious which model dashcam are you using here? I realize this is a pic of video, which may explain lack of clarity, but one cannot even see the license plate of the truck directly in front of you. I hope you're not using the DR900X PLUS!
I mentioned in my post the dash cam was a DR750X-2CH Plus. I've removed the DR750X-3CH Plus from my car to make room for the DR900X-2CH DMS Plus dash cam to review it.

I fully blurred out the license plate of the Chevrolet SSR pickup in front of my car since it was one of my friends in that vehicle.

Never understood why they took the option from the rear camera. Your test definitely shows how much darker it is.

Have you tested the 750x 2ch LTE Plus? The rear is slightly darker in the screenshot, but I have pretty dark tint on. I think of all the camera's you've tested and posted. The LTE Plus rear camera might have the best rear light exposure.
I don't have a DR750X-2CH LTE Plus to test. Bright / sunny skies usually result in only slightly darker video footage from the rear camera (depending on the position of the sun in relation to the rear camera). All of the X Series dash cams that I've tested (those dash cams have the RC110F rear camera) will generate underexposed rear video in most situations.

I don't have a DR750X-2CH LTE Plus to test. Bright / sunny skies usually result in only slightly darker video footage from the rear camera (depending on the position of the sun in relation to the rear camera). All of the X Series dash cams that I've tested (those dash cams have the RC110F rear camera) will generate underexposed rear video in most situations.
And we know that the rear dashcam for the DR750 2CH LTE Plus indeed uses the same model rear dashcam... RC110F.

A while back I posted the difference of my front and rear dashcam videos on this model, and it was quite noticeable. I have since received replacement dashcams from Blackvue.

I have done a fair amount of two-cameras on the front windshield testing with my replacement dashcams, but unfortunately have not had the types of days (overcast) that are more apt to show the noticeable differences.

I hope to upload my test video results sometime this week.

A quick update on the underexposed video problem with the BlackVue RC110F rear camera provided with all of the BlackVue X Plus dash cameras that have an inside/rear camera.

My last update from Pittasoft support was on 14-June-2022. It was stated that the solution to this issue is still under investigation with no definite date for a fix. Pittasoft R&D stated to Pittasoft Support that the RC110F's exposure level is already at the max level, but they're still checking if this can be fine tuned.

The BlackVue firmware versions available by the end of June 2022 for the DR750X Plus and DR900X Plus series of dash cameras have not resolved or altered this issue.

BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus Rear vs VIOFO T130-3CH Rear
bv_rc110f_20220528_dr750xplus_vs_viofot130.jpg

BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus Rear vs Front
dr750xplus_rear_vs_front_20220331.jpg

Still no word from Pittasoft on this underexposure problem with the RC110F rear camera included in the "X Plus" series dash cameras. I still have a DR750X-2CH Plus installed in my car to test any potential firmware fixes for this issue. With the latest available firmware v1.011 for the DR750X-2CH Plus dash camera installed, the problem is still present. The DR750X Plus front camera has a BlackVue CPL filter installed and it is still far "brighter" than the rear camera image. It also appears that the RC110F rear camera I have installed in my car is getting more and more out of focus (left side).

1665187478941.png

1665187502674.png

Does it sound to you like Blackvue will be able to fix this issue? Otherwise I just might need to exchange my dashcam for another model or make. Any suggestions? Thanks.

In my, granted, limited experience I've found Blackvue to have the attituded "this is how it is, don't expect us to change it to suit you!" Some customer service I have to say (n)

Some brands are indeed reluctant in accommodating their users, with the "our way or the highway" attitude

Back