Blank files when playing back on PC

Terry Griggs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I went on a trip of just under an hour and wanted to revue the files when I got home to see a couple of items on the video.

When I looked at the files on the computer I was shocked to see there were Blank sections.

The files are there but wont play, the screen just holds the last image till it gets to the next readable file, the sound is also missing.

And on the GPS map it just cuts to the next place it knows with a Grey Shortcut Line.

Windows will try to play the files, but only shows a black screen (without sound).

I am using Firmware 4.11 and am using quality Samsung 64 GB Evo Class 1 (UHS) Micro SD Cards, formatting them regularly.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? or anything I can do to fix it?Marcus4 Faulty Recording.jpg

I went on a trip of just under an hour and wanted to revue the files when I got home to see a couple of items on the video.

When I looked at the files on the computer I was shocked to see there were Blank sections.

The files are there but wont play, the screen just holds the last image till it gets to the next readable file, the sound is also missing.

And on the GPS map it just cuts to the next place it knows with a Grey Shortcut Line.

Windows will try to play the files, but only shows a black screen (without sound).

I am using Firmware 4.11 and am using quality Samsung 64 GB Evo Class 1 (UHS) Micro SD Cards, formatting them regularly.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? or anything I can do to fix it?View attachment 29129
Do the files play back on the camera OK?

Hi, I had not tried it on the Camera, but just have and it is Blank, exactly the same.
Any clues?
Terry

Marcus4.jpg

Yeah, I would try another brand card. Certainly sounds like a card issue.

I tried a new card, same brand, same issue.
Then a Sandisk Ultra 32GB inside connected to power supply and same or worse result.
The drop outs do seem to get more frequent the longer (warmer?) the camera is on
Really appreciate any advise
Terry

Up to 2 min drop outs.jpg

Hi, it was left running the whole time.
And as you will see by the time line, it just stopped recording for from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
Then started again. as normal.
I did manage to catch it a couple of times, and the screen went blank, the red record light went out and the green light came on.
Then the red light and screen came back on, without the normal start up procedure, it just carried on recording till it did the same again.
Could it be some sort of high temp cut out? as the longer it is recording the drop outs seem more frequent.
Thanks again
Terry

Why not try another brand card? SanDisk Ultra cards are not supported by VicoVation (they even state this on their website). The only other card you tried was the same Samsung correct? You wrote class 1, but I assume you meant class 10?
Your formatting in the camera and not on your computer?

Hi, I have had success!

I decided it might be worth going back one rev of the Firmware, and when I installed V4.10 and all was well!
(Not sure if the Firmware could have been corrupted, but still work, though unreliably?)

It was then perfect with all the cards I could find, the Samsung 64 GB Evo Class 1 (UHS which is the next higher from class 10 with the same transfer rates) , the Sandisc as well as a couple of other cheaper brands, all seem good.

Will update after I have tried it for a week or so in the car.

Thanks to all for your help and advise

Terry

Just to let you know that since I reinstalled the firmware it has been faultless!

Don't know what could have corrupted the firmware, just must remember it if it happens again.

Thanks to all for your help

Terry

Back