Blooming with 2nd Gen Green tint Lens

crashercarlton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my a119s for a year and noticed my colors are nowhere near as vivid and there's horrible blooming especially at night. I'm a neat freak.

Windshield is 100% clean inside and out.
No protective covers still on
Lens and CPL are clean
On the latest firmware

I have tried WDR on/off as well as removing CPL and taking the camera out of the car.

Here is a video to download.

A119s Blooming Issue Video

Something similar on my 119s, problem solved with an old official fw, in my case 2.1
You can give it a try.

@crashercarlton Welcome to DCT :) You may find more info in this thread which is the modified firmware thread for this camera. (Long thread warning; have coffee ready!) IIRC the "halo" or "blooming" is an issue with this cam on factory firmware. I don't think they've been able to eliminate it.

It's still a darn good low-light performance, much better than almost every other dashcam made today. I wish my IMX323 equipped cams did this well at night.

Phil

@crashercarlton Welcome to DCT :) You may find more info in this thread which is the modified firmware thread for this camera. (Long thread warning; have coffee ready!) IIRC the "halo" or "blooming" is an issue with this cam on factory firmware. I don't think they've been able to eliminate it.

It's still a darn good low-light performance, much better than almost every other dashcam made today. I wish my IMX323 equipped cams did this well at night.

Phil
Yeah thanks for the heads up. I am actually on the new 4.xx firmware. I will have to experiment with some of the older firmwares. I do agree on the lowlight performance.

Try wipe clean your lens @ CPL, even if they appear clean. Use a photographic grade microfibre cloth.

I tore it apart to only find on the very back glass there is a film on the inside of that glass. I've contacted viofo but have had no replies. I also just received a new a119s I bought and the image is great just like everyone else's that looks goof. Including using the new modified firmwares although I do have vignetting from the CPL.

Can you try to remove it ? It may be a protection that was forgot to take it out in the factory.
Also the CPL came with film protector on both sides, and you need to remove them.

No, on the back side of the lens it's glued in which means you'd have to carefully remove it without breaking and then get all the old glue off so it would sit flat....too much for me to go wrong.

No, on the back side of the lens it's glued in which means you'd have to carefully remove it without breaking and then get all the old glue off so it would sit flat....too much for me to go wrong.

that's the IR cut filter, if you remove it the colours will be terrible

Right my point was in order to remove it, clean it, and reapply without having focus issues would be to scrape all the old glue off the plastic lens holder. By the time you do that you've probably dropped so much crap on to the next glass you won't be able to correct it

Did your camera worked correct before ? Try to reinstall the firmware, one or another, and if the problem persist you may have a defective camera.

there should be no need to remove it in the first place unless you were trying to use with IR lights for night vision

there should be no need to remove it in the first place unless you were trying to use with IR lights for night vision
No the camera always had really washed out colors. And what appeared to be a focus issue. I've pulled it apart and the problem lies in the last piece of glass from the Inside of the camera and it's inaccessible without pulling that back piece of glass out that is glued in 4 corners. When I say I need to remove it I simply mean that's the only way you could get whatever is on the lens off of there. Viofo hasn't responded to me so I decided to open it up to see myself and found the problem. I'm going to resubmit a new ticket to viofo but at least I know where the problem lies. As long as they don't have a problem with me opening the camera up they'll probably warranty it. If they have issue with it then that's fine. I own a second one and it has no issues.

Back