Blue screen "Micro SD card reader mode"

RCSoarer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new dash cam user.
I am looking for a bit of advice.
Just taken delivery of my new A129 Duo cam, not yet installed in the car yet.
Don't know if its a fault, but connected the cam to my laptop with the supplied USB cable to format my SD card (Samsung Evo Plus 128GB) This was initially connected to the main camera power socket, (not the GPS socket). All was blue on the camera screen and the message "Micro SD Card Reader Mode" None of the buttons worked.
I managed to format my SD card by connecting my laptop to the GPS socket, and buttons also seemed to be responding, but only when connected like this.
I will eventually be wiring with a 3 wire hardwire kit which came with my new camera. Instructions says to connect power to the camera and not the GPS, which it seems will not work due to the above issue.
Seems like a fault, but what do you think?
Regards. RCSoarer.

First a welcome to DCT :) @RCSoarer

Computers and in-car USB sockets often do not provide adequate power to dashcams which can cause all sorts of strange things to occur. Most cams will go into "Mass Storage mode" when plugged into a computer by their design. Use a phone charger for in-house testing and use only the cam manufacturer supplied or recommended power supplies and cables in the car and everything should work fine. This is especially important with Viofo cams and they supply more robust than usual PS's and cables to avoid their customers having problems. The A129 Duo is a very good cam with very good manufacturer support and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

Phil

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, I can see that now about the laptop power.
Regards and thanks

Well, finished installing today with the 3 wire HK. Surprised how easy it was to wire up and run the cables, even through the tailgate grommet with the 90 deg mini usb at the back cam. Everything works as it should I think.
Regards, RCSoarer

Back